Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Dragonball Z

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 5:20am

I don't care what anyone says, ever. This shit was awesome. :ugeek:
I remember being a teen and watching it, now I'm an adult, married, working 50+ hours in an industrial factory driving forklifts, bobcats and trucks and doing other shit and I still love this show and the thousands of music videos out there of it.
This is a display part of our computer room, it is Gogeta (dance fusion, not the ear-ring fusion form of Vegeta and Goku), it is Gogeta getting a blowjob, at least thats the way I've positioned them. So yeah... its not in the picture but on the left is Veggeto (the ring-fusion form) with two playboy bunny figures.
Fucking awesome show.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Re: Dragonball Z

Postby anachron » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 8:22am

Loved the show when I was younger. I hated all the backlash it received when it started getting really popular because it was my favorite show at the time it was on the air. In retrospect, I think I actually enjoyed the original Dragonball over DBZ, but I still have fond memories of it and have been slowly buying the 'season' DVDs they've released.
anachron

Postby deerpoob » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 9:03am

Ya i certainly went through a dragonball z phase, me and my older brother watched it when we were maybe 8 and 10, it was the shit! I had no idea that there was a difference in japanese and American/Canadian stuff really, I just figured it was a perticular show that was like that, and it was pretty awesome! I remember YTV, one of the Canadian channels that we get cartoons on here, had a whole timeslot for anime, now adays they have things like bleach and naruto, but back in that day it was all dragonball z and gt and the original dragonball, as well as shows like sailor moon and such, I remember a show called inuyasha was one before dragonball z, i never actually watched it but i remember i saw the credits one time and i saw it was "made" in vancouver, and so i thought it was pretty cool that all these shows were Canadian! of course now I realized they aren't but that was pretty cool nonetheless.
Currently Playing: Torchlight, Borderlands, Planescape:torment

Procrastinating: Dragon Age, Disgaea DS, SMT Devil Survivor, Assasins Creed 2

Wants to play: Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, Ico, Persona 4
deerpoob

Postby darfox8 » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 10:27am

I could probably write five pages on DBZ talking about my first experience with it, and how my perspective on it has change, and how I think it influence me while growing up. But I don't have much time so I'll just say that Dragon Ball is definitely a better show in my opinion. And I haven't gotten around to watching Kai yet.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 1:47pm

The original Dragon Ball was amazing and on a completely different level from DBZ. DBZ was great as a kid, but even back then I was put off by the unnecessarily long length and drawn out battles. I'm watching Dragon Ball Kai right now purely out of nostalgia and it's overly abbreviated but awesome. The story is traveling along currently at over 3x the speed. The show should have been like this from the get go.

If we're talking about childhood/teenage obsessions though, I'd have to give that award to Ranma 1/2 instead.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 9:06pm

My love affair with this series ended back in 1996, when the original manga and anime ended, but at the time, I was very much immersed in Akira Toriyama's master opus. It was incredibly awesome, especially because anime was still a very foreign thing in the US at the time and the only way to watch it was with fansubs. It was like being in on a great secret that no one else knew about. I've since moved on, but it will always hold a special place in my heart. Why else would I buy the Medicom RAH Super Saiyan Son Goku?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Sep 18th, 2009 @ 2:09pm

I've always through Toriyama's "art" was shit. But I thought this show was silly and fun. I used to watch it every day after school.
LiQuid

Postby Skrattybones » Sep 18th, 2009 @ 5:15pm

My roommate owns the box seasons of all of DBZ, and just picked up the first season of Dragon Ball. I had forgotten how sweet Dragon Ball was.
Skrattybones

Postby Hellsfire » Sep 20th, 2009 @ 1:30am

I love DBZ. Too bad DBGT was a pile of crap and felt like an unnecessary evil. Sometimes I'll just watch various YouTube clips of DBZ. I'm so tempted to buy the DVDs but I would prefer an all-in-one and something with more special features. Vegeta is what kept me watching. I don't normally like anime but the one thing the Japanese seem to excel at are those gray characters like Vegeta and Kaiba.
Hellsfire

Postby Richard Kain » Sep 21st, 2009 @ 11:22am

They've been re-releasing the Dragonball Z series in Japan, calling it "Dragonball Kai." This Kai itteration is pretty much the exact same series, but with improved audio, cleaned-up animation, and absolutely NO filler. Because of this, the re-make is shaping up to be considerably shorter, but also a lot easier to follow and enjoy, especially for new viewers. Everything that isn't directly necessary to the overall story is tossed right out the window. They are only around episode 22 right now, and the storyline has advanced to around episode 40 in the original series.

On the one hand, the effor they are putting toward this could have been used to develop a new series. On the other hand, I do like me some Dragonball, and I have always loathed most filler content. Seeing one of my favorite anime action series re-mastered to be cleaner, shorter, and more action-packed is quite appealing. And it's easy to see why they are doing this. A popular franchise like Dragonball Z is a sure-sell, in both Japan and the US. In these uncertain economic times, this is easy and reliable money. (where a fresh series would be a considerable risk)
Richard Kain

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 9th, 2010 @ 9:11am

Impressed. I got an urge to start watching Dragonball Kai recently. At 25, I am not sure how to feel about this. DBZ is still something I reflect upon, especially the music videos that float around. Like the Bon Jovi It's My Life one.
KindGalaxy

Postby kevinep3 » Oct 10th, 2010 @ 8:09am

KindGalaxy wrote:Impressed. I got an urge to start watching Dragonball Kai recently. At 25, I am not sure how to feel about this. DBZ is still something I reflect upon, especially the music videos that float around. Like the Bon Jovi It's My Life one.

i have been watching a few episodes of that kai crap and i dont like it, new voice actors and alot of stuff being cut out does not float well with me. dbz is awesome though, its one of those shows you could ask any male probably 5-40 and they'll know exactly what your talking about
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby AP-Zac » Oct 10th, 2010 @ 11:38am

Going to have to say the Dragonball is better than Z, Z just got to ridiculous.
Podcast: www.averageplayer.libsyn.com
Twitter: averageplayer
AP-Zac

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Oct 10th, 2010 @ 12:25pm

What is Gogeta? I mean what's the story, not literally "who is it?" Dance Fusion? Ear Ring Fusion?

I watched it when it was the hardest shit to turn Super Saiyan and Goku was special for doing it and kicking that chick dudes ass. I turned it on once after that when it came back on after a year or so of just re-runs and everyone was a Super Saiyan and there were some Super Saiyan 2 dudes or something so I stopped watching it. I guess they needed to progress, couldn't always have Goku getting a hernia trying to get slightly longer yellow hair. It wasn't for me after that though.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 10th, 2010 @ 6:12pm

AP-Zac wrote:Going to have to say the Dragonball is better than Z, Z just got to ridiculous.

Toriyama wanted to end the series after Son Gokuh became Super Saiyan, defeated Freeza, and died when Nameck exploded, but the editors at Jump demanded he keep it going because its popularity was in full swing and was also spreading to other countries. Hence, the series becoming "Drag-On Ball."
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby AP-Zac » Oct 10th, 2010 @ 7:08pm

jinpei05 wrote:
AP-Zac wrote:Going to have to say the Dragonball is better than Z, Z just got to ridiculous.

Toriyama wanted to end the series after Son Gokuh became Super Saiyan, defeated Freeza, and died when Nameck exploded, but the editors at Jump demanded he keep it going because its popularity was in full swing and was also spreading to other countries. Hence, the series becoming "Drag-On Ball."

that would have actually made a good ending point for the series
AP-Zac

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 10th, 2010 @ 7:33pm

AP-Zac wrote:that would have actually made a good ending point for the series

I'm actually okay with Gohan defeating Cell and Trunks returning to his timeline to correct it. After that, it just gets tiresome.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby AP-Zac » Oct 10th, 2010 @ 7:53pm

ya I stopped watching as soon as people started fusing and the villain was a giant peice of bubblegum, and I suppose the androids and cell were good.
AP-Zac

Postby Fallen_Angel » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 6:08am

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:What is Gogeta? I mean what's the story, not literally "who is it?" Dance Fusion? Ear Ring Fusion?

Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 6:51am

So they do some silly dance and turn into the same person. But what is the story behind it all? I'm assuming some dude said "hey, do this dance and you'll turn into one guy" and they said "alright"
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Fallen_Angel » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 7:00am

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:So they do some silly dance and turn into the same person. But what is the story behind it all? I'm assuming some dude said "hey, do this dance and you'll turn into one guy" and they said "alright"

It was more a word-of-mouth thing. Goku learned it when he was in Otherworld but we were never shown how ..
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 8:39am

I thought the Android/Cell Saga and the movies were the best parts, especially Movie 12 and 13. Majin Buu Saga was okay, really got ridiculous by the end, but I dunno... I thought Cell Saga was amazing.

I have a figure I bought in Hong Kong of Majin Buu giving Mr. Satan a bubble bath, its awesome. Actually have alot of Dragonball figures, not as many as Mario figures (I have Mario mushrooms in the bathroom by the windows and couch pillows of a Koopa Shell and a Question-mark Block that make the noise when you hit them).

Buu was great for the non-fighting bits, like Buu and Bee.

Gogeta was bad ass, I remember in the Movie 12, Vegeta fucks up and they become this fat man version of them. Movie 12 was also good due to Pikkon being in it for a long time. I wish they had fleshed him out more. He knew who Piccolo was, but never explained why.
KindGalaxy

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 8:41am

KindGalaxy wrote:I thought the Android/Cell Saga and the movies were the best parts, especially Movie 12 and 13. Majin Buu Saga was okay, really got ridiculous by the end, but I dunno... I thought Cell Saga was amazing.

Movie #7 was the best of all of them. It featured the best artwork and animation, plus you saw the three main Super Saiyans kick the shit out of those damn Jinzoningens. :D
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 8:48am

jinpei05 wrote:
KindGalaxy wrote:I thought the Android/Cell Saga and the movies were the best parts, especially Movie 12 and 13. Majin Buu Saga was okay, really got ridiculous by the end, but I dunno... I thought Cell Saga was amazing.

Movie #7 was the best of all of them. It featured the best artwork and animation, plus you saw the three main Super Saiyans kick the shit out of those damn Jinzoningens. :D

It was good but really didn't expand on the lore; while granted too Movie 12 didn't either (my favourite), my other recommended one was Movie 13... which explains how Trunks got his sword, and it did the Dragonfist; which was an amazing scene
KindGalaxy

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 8:53am

KindGalaxy wrote:It was good but really didn't expand on the lore; while granted too Movie 12 didn't either (my favourite), my other recommended one was Movie 13... which explains how Trunks got his sword, and it did the Dragonfist; which was an amazing scene

True, but the movies were never meant to expand on lore; they were fun distractions during the summer months in Japan while Toriyama toiled away at the manga while giving the animation studios something to do before turning it to anime. And seeing as how some of the episodes dragged on, it's fun to watch super-powered fighters kick the shit out of each other wall-to-wall for an hour or so.

I also like Movie #11 because it features Jinzoningen #18 in fighting form again, as well as featuring Kid Trunks and Goten.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby flufflogic » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 10:55am

Man, I watched the live action film last week. Ouch.
flufflogic

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 12:06pm

You deserve a kick in the nuts for even mentioning that travesty... :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 12:27pm

Still need to do my double-feature of Dragonball and SF: Legend of Chun-Li... :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 12:50pm

See if you can have a coherent, intelligent thought after that evening.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby PantslessJedi » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 2:40pm

Master Higgins wrote:Still need to do my double-feature of Dragonball and SF: Legend of Chun-Li... :lol:

I recently watched Dragonball Evolution.. it's not terrible if you pretend it's not really about Dragon Ball (Z or otherwise)
Spoiler: show
Just kidding. Yes it is.
PantslessJedi

Next
Forum Statistics