Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Batman: Under the Red Hood

Postby jinpei05 » May 10th, 2010 @ 9:13am

I mentioned this in the Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths thread, but with the trailer now up and the release only three months away, I thought it would be a good time to start its own thread.

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A2c9MsP3OVs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A2c9MsP3OVs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

This was a decent read when it was a story arc in the monthly Batman book, but it was bogged down with its forced tie-in with Infinite Crisis.

I try not to have too high expectations with these DC Universe releases, but I can't help but hope it's awesome. Captain Pike as Batman, Barney Stinson as Nightwing, Bender Bending Rodriguez as Joker? Can't wait.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Re: Batman: Under the Red Hood

Postby indieinsd » May 10th, 2010 @ 8:54pm

It looks good, I just added Crisis to my Netflix queue is it any good?
indieinsd

Postby dabeast0976 » May 11th, 2010 @ 6:04am

indieinsd wrote:It looks good, I just added Crisis to my Netflix queue is it any good?

It is quite good and helps bridge the gap between the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited series quite nicely. That being said, it did take a little while for me to get used to Batman being voiced by Billy Baldwin.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby Bobloblaw » May 11th, 2010 @ 7:58am

indieinsd wrote:It looks good, I just added Crisis to my Netflix queue is it any good?

It is good. It had a good blend of A-list and B-list superheros and found a good balance of nostalgia. The plot also produced a creditable threat to the superheros leading to a genuine sense of danger that so many comic properties lack. My favorite scene was the show down between Batman and Owlman. Owlman rules. :)
Bobloblaw

Postby jinpei05 » May 11th, 2010 @ 8:27am

If you're interested, I posted my review in the Crisis on Two Earths thread, or you can go to worldsfinestonline.com for their review.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby indieinsd » May 16th, 2010 @ 2:03pm

I checked it out it was pretty good. Red Hood looks great.
indieinsd

Postby jinpei05 » May 28th, 2010 @ 1:21am

The title of the next DC Universe feature is now known, courtesy of worldsfinestonline.com:

The back cover art for the upcoming Batman: Under the Red Hood direct-to-video animated feature reveals the title of the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie installment.

As revealed on the back cover artwork to the Blu-ray and Two-Disc Special Edition DVD releases for Batman: Under the Red Hood, the title of the next installment in the DC Universe Animated Original Movie line is Superman/Batman: Apocalypse. The Superman/Batman: Apocalypse animated feature, a sequel to the top-selling 2009 direct-to-video Superman/Batman: Public Enemies animated feature, is scheduled for a Fall 2010 release.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kiwi » May 28th, 2010 @ 7:05pm

Looks pretty good, but it'll be tough to dethrone Mask of the Phantasm as best animated Batman movie. At least in my opinion.
kiwi

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 25th, 2010 @ 7:42pm

We're about a month out from the movie's release, but here's a short clip, courtesy of worldsfinestonline.com:

http://worldsfinestonline.com/WF/dcuam/redhood/media/clip1.mov
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 25th, 2010 @ 7:47pm

Just got done watching, review incoming this Tuesday.

Short version: Wow. Just wow. Pushes the PG-13 rating even farther than ever. Bruce Greenwood can fill in for Kevin Conroy anytime in my book. Wonder Woman was better, but only by the narrowest of margins. The Jonah Hex short was equally awesome, and probably better than the Josh Brolin movie, despite only being 11 minutes.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 27th, 2010 @ 9:29am

Once again, in the interest of no spoilers, my full review is safely hidden under spoiler tags. I give the feature Image

Spoiler: show
Judd Winick is not a good writer. Yeah, you were on The Real World: San Francisco. Yeah, your friendship with Pedro Zamora affected you profoundly. We get it. You don’t have to have a major character in your story line contract HIV or come out of the closet so you can win another GLAAD award and extend your fifteen minutes of fame.

So when he was assigned to the flagship Batman book in 2006, I dreaded what would happen by the end of his tenure. Would Tim Drake come to terms with his emerging homosexuality or Alfred start taking AZT?

Surprisingly, he managed to not only avoid his hackneyed plot devices, but resurrect the long dead Jason Todd with a certain degree of panache. It was one of the more entertaining Batman stories that year, but was overshadowed by Infinite Crisis and ultimately forgotten when One Year Later began across all DC comics.

Now, the story has been adapted for animation, and manages to thoroughly entertain, despite a few hiccups along the way.

The film clocks in at a trim and lean 75 minutes, giving just enough exposition to bring any non-comic reading viewer up to speed with minimal confusion or pre-requisite reading.

It also manages to push the PG-13 boundaries further than ever before, with decapitated heads in a duffel bag and the Joker bludgeoning Robin with a crowbar all within the first ten minutes.

Directing, art design, and animation were excellent—everything flowed seamlessly and the fights looked exceptionally vicious, particularly the final confrontation between Batman and Red Hood. And while the CGI vehicle sequences still needed more work, they were leaps and bounds better than the Javelins on “Justice League Unlimited.”

But while the visuals of the film are of the highest caliber, some of the vocal performances will leave some, like myself, wanting.

As a fan of Neil Patrick Harris, it pains me to say his portrayal of Nightwing seemed a bit uneven. True, he managed to bring lightness to balance Batman’s intensity, but for all his effort, his voice was simply too distinctive and well recognized. I kept expecting to him break into song or say something legend…wait for it…ary. It’s far from a deal-breaker, and my disbelief was suspended during his time on screen.

John DiMaggio as the Joker will undoubtedly polarize the audience. Some may say a darker, more sinister Clown Prince of Crime was needed for this film and his voice fit the role perfectly. Others will point to Mark Hammil’s performance in “Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker” as the ultimate embodiment of evil and say DiMaggio is simply a pale imitation. I find myself more in the second camp, but at the same time, could not entirely dismiss his performance either.

The three actors portraying Jason Todd deserve special recognition for bringing the youthful exuberance (Alexander Martella), angry defiance (Vincent Marella), and outright malevolence (Jensen Ackles) of the second Robin to life.

Undoubtedly, the best performance of the film belongs to Bruce Greenwood. His portrayal of Batman has me convinced he’s the perfect replacement for Kevin Conroy should the suits at Warner Bros. have their way and put him out to pasture. And with the announcement of his casting in the new “Young Justice” series, the future of the Dark Knight seems secure.

Overall, this film comes highly recommended. Wonder Woman still reigns as my favorite DC Universe DTV, but only by the narrowest of margins.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Bobloblaw » Jul 27th, 2010 @ 10:59am

jinpei05 wrote:Once again, in the interest of no spoilers, my full review is safely hidden under spoiler tags. I give the feature [img]<a%20class="linkification-ext"%20href="http://www.karenchu.net/storage/gabrielle-anwar-scale/gabby2.png"%20title="Linkification:%20http://www.karenchu.net/storage/gabrielle-anwar-scale/gabby2.png">http://www.karenchu.net/storage/gabrielle-anwar-scale/gabby2.png</a>[/img]

Impressive use of the Gabrielle Anwar scale!
Bobloblaw

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 27th, 2010 @ 11:13am

Bobloblaw wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Once again, in the interest of no spoilers, my full review is safely hidden under spoiler tags. I give the feature [img]<a%20class="linkification-ext"%20href="http://www.karenchu.net/storage/gabrielle-anwar-scale/gabby2.png"%20title="Linkification:%20http://www.karenchu.net/storage/gabrielle-anwar-scale/gabby2.png">http://www.karenchu.net/storage/gabrielle-anwar-scale/gabby2.png</a>[/img]

Impressive use of the Gabrielle Anwar scale!

Ha ha, you can thank Karen Chu for the Gabrielle Anwar graphics! I used them before for my Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths review.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 27th, 2010 @ 3:53pm

Gotta get this tonight!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby MacBooey87 » Jul 29th, 2010 @ 11:41am

Getting mine tonight!
MacBooey87

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 30th, 2010 @ 2:11pm

Finally found a bluray copy. Gonna try and watch it tonight.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Bobloblaw » Jul 30th, 2010 @ 2:20pm

I finally have my copy. I'm hoping to get some time to watch it this weekend.
Bobloblaw

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 30th, 2010 @ 3:20pm

Please, hurry, both of you! I want to discuss this film and Superman/Batman: Apocalypse as well as Jonah Hex!!!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jul 31st, 2010 @ 2:48am

would you say this is better or wosre than batman beyon.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 31st, 2010 @ 2:12pm

kenzo wrote:would you say this is better or wosre than batman beyon.

Do you mean Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jul 31st, 2010 @ 2:28pm

I didn't like it. As someone who doesn't follow Batman too much I didn't have a clue what was going on with Jason Todd or why he was important. Joker's voice was shitty. There didn't seem to be much of a plot for the first half. Also the final confrontation with Red Hood/Batman/Joker was so lame.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 31st, 2010 @ 2:33pm

LiQuid wrote:I didn't like it. As someone who doesn't follow Batman too much I didn't have a clue what was going on with Jason Todd or why he was important. Joker's voice was shitty. There didn't seem to be much of a plot for the first half. Also the final confrontation with Red Hood/Batman/Joker was so lame.

Seriously? The whole middle section where Ra's Al Ghul clearly spelled out everything and you still didn't get it?

Did you ever read, "A Death in the Family" storyline? I recommend it if you haven't. It'll tell you all about Jason Todd and the ruckus he caused when he became the second Robin.

Tell me you at least dug the fight sequences. I thought they were the best thing about the film.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jul 31st, 2010 @ 7:54pm

You're grasping at straws. The fight sequences might have been highlights in a better film.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Jul 31st, 2010 @ 9:21pm

Nightwing should have been voiced by Nolan North
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 1st, 2010 @ 12:24pm

LiQuid wrote:You're grasping at straws. The fight sequences might have been highlights in a better film.

Ok, smart guy. Name another DC DTV that had action sequences with art design as good at Under the Red Hood that ISN'T Wonder Woman.

And Batman/Red Hood vs the Fearsome Hand of Four was AWESOME.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Aug 1st, 2010 @ 12:39pm

Why can't I use Wonder Woman? That movie rocked way more than that character deserves.

Also BM/RH Vs. FHo4 = Janky ass animation and bullet deflecting light sabers. No thanks.

Batman jumping through the car was pretty slick though.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 1st, 2010 @ 1:19pm

LiQuid wrote:Why can't I use Wonder Woman? That movie rocked way more than that character deserves.

Also BM/RH Vs. FHo4 = Janky ass animation and bullet deflecting light sabers. No thanks.

Batman jumping through the car was pretty slick though.

I removed Wonder Woman EXACTLY because of that reason: I didn't expect that movie to be as AWESOME as it was, with the best mix of story, art design, animation, and voice work. As it stand, it's my favorite DTV, and will probably stay there.

So what did you think of Jonah Hex?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Aug 1st, 2010 @ 4:47pm

Jonah Hex the new Josh Brolin film? Like the rest of the country I skipped it. It looks horrible. Can't wait to see the DVD though.

I probably liked Justice League Crisis on Two Earths better than Wonder Woman. But that's probably like just because it had characters other than Wonder Woman in it.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 1st, 2010 @ 5:01pm

LiQuid wrote:Jonah Hex the new Josh Brolin film? Like the rest of the country I skipped it. It looks horrible. Can't wait to see the DVD though.

I probably liked Justice League Crisis on Two Earths better than Wonder Woman. But that's probably like just because it had characters other than Wonder Woman in it.

No, no, the Jonah Hex short on the Under the Red Hood disc. The one with Thomas Jane and Linda Hamilton.

Crisis was ok, but I didn't like how they portrayed Batman (his character and his voice) or how neatly they wrapped up the ending. James Woods was awesome though.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Aug 1st, 2010 @ 5:27pm

jinpei05 wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Jonah Hex the new Josh Brolin film? Like the rest of the country I skipped it. It looks horrible. Can't wait to see the DVD though.

No, no, the Jonah Hex short on the Under the Red Hood disc. The one with Thomas Jane and Linda Hamilton.

Crisis was ok, but I didn't like how they portrayed Batman (his character and his voice) or how neatly they wrapped up the ending. James Woods was awesome though.

Didn't see the Jonah Hex short. I watched UtRH via, er, unofficial channels. I don't care about that franchise at all though, so I'm not too heartbroken.

Also, as somebody who doesn't really give a shit about Batman at all, I didn't think there was anything wrong with his treatment in Crisis. It's hard to get fanboy butthurt if you aren't a fan.
LiQuid

Next
Forum Statistics