Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby kenzo » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 4:03pm

jinpei05 wrote:I had no idea you were a high-profile toy company exec as well as a Disney employee. :lol:
I already addressed this critique, but regardless I hardly see why I have to qualify my statements any more than you do. I'm saying one thing, and you're arguing to the opposite. If you call into question my knowledge and authority on the subject, you're failing to address the topic of discussion and undermining your own argument: you're bringing an illogical argument to the table, and you've failed to explain how or why you're more qualified than I am, so it's a pointless remark.

jinpei05 wrote:And Disney should be pleased with both WALL-E and Ratatouille. They're both multiple award winners as well as top-grossing films.
I think they should be too, but winning awards and critical praise isn't what Disney cares about first and foremost. They're a massive corporation, and the only thing massive corporations care about is their bottom line and pleasing shareholders - and making a film that rakes in money more efficiently because it and its toys more easily caters to kids is better to them than winning an award. Given an option, Disney is going to prefer the ones that make them more money, and that's films like Cars 2 and Toy Story 3, not Ratatouille and Wall-E.

That isn't to say that Disney is all of a sudden this hyper-evil corporation either that's sucking the soul of out Pixar. They provide essential financing, support, and powerful distribution/marketing that Pixar by themselves would have never been able to do on their own. The heads of Pixar also could have chosen not to do Toy Story 2 & 3, but opted to make it themselves when faced with the alternative (to allow Disney to continue making a sequel without their input) and making those films was probably the best decision in the long run because of their huge financial successes provided the extra money and clout to continue making more artistic films like Wall-E, Ratatouille, and Up!. But as a fan of their original works, I still can't help but resent their sequels that they're "forced" into making.

And while "forced" isn't really the right word since Pixar still maintains a large amount of autonomy, they still apply lots of undue pressure that would otherwise be even stronger and straight up forcing them into things if it weren't for the strong clout and leverage their films to date have garnered for them. Until recently, it's been a very healthy push between competing interests (the business interests of the suits versus the artistic interests of the studio) into a meaningful and productive compromise. But with back-to-back sequels, and especially the way Cars 2 has been received lately, it makes me worry that the suits are winning more battles than they used to.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 4:10pm

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:I had no idea you were a high-profile toy company exec as well as a Disney employee. :lol:
I already addressed this critique, but regardless I hardly see why I have to qualify my statements any more than you do. I'm saying one thing, and you're arguing to the opposite. If you call into question my knowledge and authority on the subject, you're failing to address the topic of discussion and undermining your own argument: you're bringing an illogical argument to the table, and you've failed to explain how or why you're more qualified than I am, so it's a pointless remark.


If you read the part where I talked about attending the International Toy Fair and talked with several execs about the toy market, you'd know I have more insight about toys and marketability than your statements alluded that you did.

And when you spout off statements without any sort of qualifications, you just come off as pulling bullshit out of your ass.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby kenzo » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 4:30pm

jinpei05 wrote:And when you spout off statements without any sort of qualifications, you just come off as pulling bullshit out of your ass.
I don't feel the need to continually press upon people my qualifications to make statements. Rather than proving anything meaningful, that just comes across as dick-waving to me. I feel that the merits of a person's arguments should be able to stand on their own. I shouldn't have to preface every time I say something with qualifications - you wouldn't demand to know how many years of mathematics I did in school in order to accept me making a statement like "12x11=132" without question - logical arguments and personal experience can stand on its own.

But if you feel my arguments or insights don't stand on their own, I don't know what to say to you to assuage your doubts. And honestly, if you don't have the faith that I'm not telling you the truth or aren't adequately informed on the subject and are just "talking out of my ass," what is the point or purpose of you even addressing me on the subject? There's no purpose to a debate or civil conversation unless it's carried out in good faith.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby kenzo » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 4:34pm

Anyways, that's all I have to say. I looked up more information on Brave and apparently it's "Pixar's first fairy tale," has a Scottish-like setting/influences, and will be darker like an OG Grimm's tale. I'm interested, but wary.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby IRL_Troll » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 4:48pm

I leave you all alone with this thread for the day and look what happens. I'm now going to stay away from more threads I start
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll
User avatar
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Dec 3rd, 2009 @ 11:55am
Location: Southwest MO

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 4:54pm

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:And when you spout off statements without any sort of qualifications, you just come off as pulling bullshit out of your ass.
I don't feel the need to continually press upon people my qualifications to make statements. Rather than proving anything meaningful, that just comes across as dick-waving to me. I feel that the merits of a person's arguments should be able to stand on their own. I shouldn't have to preface every time I say something with qualifications - you wouldn't demand to know how many years of mathematics I did in school in order to accept me making a statement like "12x11=132" without question - logical arguments and personal experience can stand on its own.

But if you feel my arguments or insights don't stand on their own, I don't know what to say to you to assuage your doubts. And honestly, if you don't have the faith that I'm not telling you the truth or aren't adequately informed on the subject and are just "talking out of my ass," what is the point or purpose of you even addressing me on the subject? There's no purpose to a debate or civil conversation unless it's carried out in good faith.
Anyone versed in debate knows that their statements should hold up to examination and scrutiny. Simply accepting every statement someone makes on faith is naive and foolish, especially when the other person has insight and knowledge in the topic at hand.

It's like when you made the statement about how Consumer Reports scores on HDTVs were weighted heavily on price, when in actuality, they have NOTHING to do with it. You tried to pass off an assumption as hard fact, and I called you on it, because I read a copy of CR and knew you were wrong.

Instead of getting butthurt when someone challenges a statement you make, why not try to see where you might be wrong and make your statements with more knowledge and less sweeping generalizations?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby kenzo » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 5:56pm

IRL_Troll wrote:I leave you all alone with this thread for the day and look what happens. I'm now going to stay away from more threads I start
I apologize. For what it's worth, I'm far more interested in Brave than I was over Toy Story 3.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby LiQuid » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 6:06pm

You should watch Toy Story 3. Same abandonment bullshit, but it was highly entertaining.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby kenzo » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 6:08pm

LiQuid wrote:You should watch Toy Story 3. Same abandonment bullshit, but it was highly entertaining.
I've been meaning to borrow the bluray off my friend. It'll happen some day.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 8:41pm

Everything Pixar does that isn't about talking cars is great.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby dabeast0976 » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 6:42am

jinpei05 wrote:
kenzo wrote:That's nice, but those aren't exactly the kinds of toys kids go gaga over, or are easy/cheap for manufacturers to make, or feature cute/cool characters that kids fall in love with. Unlike the Cars 2 toys (they're basically classic boxcars) or the adorable Finding Nemo plushies. Toy Story is huge for Disney because it's a movie about toys, and they can make just as much money on toys and other licensed merchandising as they do on box office revenues.

But Disney wasn't really happy about say, Ratatouille - it's hard to market a film about fine cuisine and sewer rats to kids, let alone make attractive toys based on that idea. Same with Wall-E, a film about an ugly, piece of junk robot, and ugly asexual blobs for humans in a film that basically lacked conflict - that doesn't lend itself very well to toys in a toy industry focused on cool action figures and fashion dolls.

I had no idea you were a high-profile toy company exec as well as a Disney employee. :lol:

As someone who's actually been to the International Toy Fair in NYC (and dabeast can back me on this), there are all sorts of toys that we as adults we gloss over, but kids simply go ga-ga over. The toy market is highly diverse and wildly unpredictable, and licensed toys like these sell through the roof. My college buddies' sons' rooms are filled wall to wall with all sorts of Pixar character toys, not the least of which include Wall-E, Eve, Remy, and Lightning McQueen.

And Disney should be pleased with both WALL-E and Ratatouille. They're both multiple award winners as well as top-grossing films.


I agree with Jinpei here. Although i despised Ratatouille, kids ate it up (no pun intended) and everything that went with it. Wall-E was a surprise juggernaut in licensing. I say that because yeah, there was buzz, but companies were a little squeamish about animated licensing after Shrek 2. Especially where there wasn't a spoken word until about 40 minutes into the movie. But damn did that stuff sell fantastically well. It was tough to find a Wall-E figure for months.

Disney and Spider-Man pack a 1-2 punch in licensing. If you have a Princess item and a Spider-Man item then you are good to be in someone's (if not damn near everyone's) set. Spider-Man is such a successful license that it is licensed separately than the rest of the Marvel characters.

One of the hottest toys at this year's Toy Fair (and for the foreseeable holiday seasons) is Squinkies. Talk about diverse. the toys are designed (packaging included) to look like it came out of 25cent supermarket vending machines. And they range from non licensed to licensed. And kids love them.

And the hottest toy last year not named Bakugan? Fake hamsters that put it's makers on the map as a big boy manufacturer (although they haven't really gone beyond that and are now suffering from market over saturation).

To sum up my very own TL;DR post, Licenses sell very well, with some one off lines being "Cinderella stories". No one knows what kids will like from year to year, but Pixar seems to hit closer to the mark than anyone else and Disney chooses the best partners to bring those creations to the shelf. Kenzo's statement is
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby dabeast0976 » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 7:01am

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:And Disney should be pleased with both WALL-E and Ratatouille. They're both multiple award winners as well as top-grossing films.
I think they should be too, but winning awards and critical praise isn't what Disney cares about first and foremost. They're a massive corporation, and the only thing massive corporations care about is their bottom line and pleasing shareholders - and making a film that rakes in money more efficiently because it and its toys more easily caters to kids is better to them than winning an award. Given an option, Disney is going to prefer the ones that make them more money, and that's films like Cars 2 and Toy Story 3, not Ratatouille and Wall-E.

That isn't to say that Disney is all of a sudden this hyper-evil corporation either that's sucking the soul of out Pixar. They provide essential financing, support, and powerful distribution/marketing that Pixar by themselves would have never been able to do on their own. The heads of Pixar also could have chosen not to do Toy Story 2 & 3, but opted to make it themselves when faced with the alternative (to allow Disney to continue making a sequel without their input) and making those films was probably the best decision in the long run because of their huge financial successes provided the extra money and clout to continue making more artistic films like Wall-E, Ratatouille, and Up!. But as a fan of their original works, I still can't help but resent their sequels that they're "forced" into making.

And while "forced" isn't really the right word since Pixar still maintains a large amount of autonomy, they still apply lots of undue pressure that would otherwise be even stronger and straight up forcing them into things if it weren't for the strong clout and leverage their films to date have garnered for them. Until recently, it's been a very healthy push between competing interests (the business interests of the suits versus the artistic interests of the studio) into a meaningful and productive compromise. But with back-to-back sequels, and especially the way Cars 2 has been received lately, it makes me worry that the suits are winning more battles than they used to.


Ok, there are a couple of things wrong with your statements here. The original cars movie came out in 2006. Since that time they have release some direct to TV "Cars Toons" staring Mater. Other than that there hasn't been much of anything on the radar from them. And they still sold toys. A ton of toys. Before the acquisition of Marvel it was the number 1 boys brand at Disney. They didn't even need to make a second movie. Know who did? John Lasseter, the guy who has been at Pixar since the beginning. He wrote and directed Cars 2. He wanted to make a spy movie with Cars and he did. So to say Disney placed undue pressure on Pixar to make the film is erroneous on every level.

Toy Story 2 and 3 were the most critically acclaimed movies that Pixar has done. To say they made them just for the sake of pleasing a corporate boss is hyperbole at worst and downright dumb at best.

You are just one of those people that say, "Hey man, you sold out to the man, maaaaaaaan."
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby flufflogic » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 7:28am

Brave looks fucking beautiful. With the voice talent, I'm pretty damn confident it'll be another 90+ on the Tomatometer.
flufflogic
User avatar
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010 @ 6:26am
Location: The Northern Wastes of England

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby kenzo » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 11:28am

dabeast0976 wrote:Toy Story 2 and 3 were the most critically acclaimed movies that Pixar has done. To say they made them just for the sake of pleasing a corporate boss is hyperbole at worst and downright dumb at best.

You are just one of those people that say, "Hey man, you sold out to the man, maaaaaaaan."
For the toy stuff - I'm just speaking to my personal knowledge on the matter, which is mostly just parroting the things Pixar employees have told me. Could I be totally wrong on the matter? Maybe. But I'll trust what Pixar employees have told me about their own business versus self-proclaimed toy experts who get their credentials from visiting a toy fair.

/name-dropping and dick-waving that I didn't want to originally do

As for your statement above:
1.) It's an objective fact that Pixar sold out to the man. They literally sold their company to Disney and was integrated into the fold. So it's kind of ironic you'd use that as a way to undermine my perspective, especially considering I spent a whole paragraph balancing out my opinion and explaining how Disney isn't as vile as I was letting on.

2.) It's an objective fact that Pixar made Toy Story 2 because Disney wanted it done.

Wikipedia wrote:Toy Story 2 was not originally intended for release in theaters. Disney asked Pixar to make a direct-to-video sequel for the original Toy Story with a 60 minute running time.[3] The task was turned over to a secondary production team at Pixar while the primary team focused on the production of A Bug's Life. When Disney executives saw how impressive the in-work imagery for the sequel was, and due to pressure from the main characters' voice actors Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, they decided to convert Toy Story 2 into a theatrical film.[4]
However, many of the creative staff at Pixar were not happy with how the sequel was turning out. John Lasseter, upon returning from European promotion of A Bug's Life, watched the development reels and agreed that it wasn't working. Pixar met with Disney, telling them that the film would have to be redone. Disney, however, disagreed, and noted that Pixar did not have enough time to remake the film before its established release date. Pixar decided that they simply could not allow the film to be released in its existing state, and asked Lasseter to take over the production. Lasseter agreed, and recruited the creative team behind the first film to redevelop the story. Over the course of a weekend, the script was completely rewritten.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby flufflogic » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 11:47am

Wow. That's some serious crunch work!
flufflogic
User avatar
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010 @ 6:26am
Location: The Northern Wastes of England

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby kenzo » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 11:57am

flufflogic wrote:Wow. That's some serious crunch work!
Crunch-time at Pixar is a lot like everything I've heard about crunch-time at a standard videogame company. There are stretches in April and May where I don't see my bff at all because he's stuck at work until late at night putting in overtime. I'm sure it's slightly more tolerable though because they have a boss cafeteria and professional cook staff on the grounds, and they keep 'em around late during crunch-time to serve dinner.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby dabeast0976 » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 1:13pm

kenzo wrote:
dabeast0976 wrote:Toy Story 2 and 3 were the most critically acclaimed movies that Pixar has done. To say they made them just for the sake of pleasing a corporate boss is hyperbole at worst and downright dumb at best.

You are just one of those people that say, "Hey man, you sold out to the man, maaaaaaaan."
For the toy stuff - I'm just speaking to my personal knowledge on the matter, which is mostly just parroting the things Pixar employees have told me. Could I be totally wrong on the matter? Maybe. But I'll trust what Pixar employees have told me about their own business versus self-proclaimed toy experts who get their credentials from visiting a toy fair.

/name-dropping and dick-waving that I didn't want to originally do


Hope you weren't the one calling me a toy expert. I've only been in the industry for six years and my observations, along with reading monthly magazines and daily articles on the subject matter, are what form my opinions.

kenzo wrote:2.) It's an objective fact that Pixar made Toy Story 2 because Disney wanted it done.

Wikipedia wrote:Toy Story 2 was not originally intended for release in theaters. Disney asked Pixar to make a direct-to-video sequel for the original Toy Story with a 60 minute running time.[3] The task was turned over to a secondary production team at Pixar while the primary team focused on the production of A Bug's Life. When Disney executives saw how impressive the in-work imagery for the sequel was, and due to pressure from the main characters' voice actors Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, they decided to convert Toy Story 2 into a theatrical film.[4]
However, many of the creative staff at Pixar were not happy with how the sequel was turning out. John Lasseter, upon returning from European promotion of A Bug's Life, watched the development reels and agreed that it wasn't working. Pixar met with Disney, telling them that the film would have to be redone. Disney, however, disagreed, and noted that Pixar did not have enough time to remake the film before its established release date. Pixar decided that they simply could not allow the film to be released in its existing state, and asked Lasseter to take over the production. Lasseter agreed, and recruited the creative team behind the first film to redevelop the story. Over the course of a weekend, the script was completely rewritten.


You realize that this doesn't help your argument? It says TS 2 was supposed to be straight to video, not that it wasn't supposed to be made. When they say they were not happy with how it was turning out, they mean Pixar wasn't happy with the story, not that Disney wanted it in theaters. It turned out to be too much for the "B" team so they brought the "A" team in to finish it. Why else bring in a new writing team and not an animation team?
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby dabeast0976 » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 1:19pm

Deleted this from my earlier post by accident
kenzo wrote:As for your statement above:
1.) It's an objective fact that Pixar sold out to the man. They literally sold their company to Disney and was integrated into the fold. So it's kind of ironic you'd use that as a way to undermine my perspective, especially considering I spent a whole paragraph balancing out my opinion and explaining how Disney isn't as vile as I was letting on.


Yes they sold the company (for 7.4 BILLION!) but they hardly "sold out". You should have read farther in the wiki:

Wikipedia
Lasseter and Catmull's oversight of both the Disney and Pixar studios did not mean that the two studios were merging, however. In fact, additional conditions were laid out as part of the deal to ensure that Pixar remained a separate entity, a concern that analysts had expressed about the Disney deal.[31] Some of those conditions were that Pixar HR policies would remain intact, including the lack of employment contracts. Also, the Pixar name was guaranteed to continue, and the studio would remain in its current Emeryville, California location with the "Pixar" sign. Finally, branding of films made post-merger would be "Disney•Pixar" (beginning with Cars).[32]


Having been in a company that was just acquired by a large conglomerate i can most certainly tell you that what they did was sell, not sell out, their company. They looked out for the best interest of their people.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby kenzo » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 1:37pm

dabeast0976 wrote:Yes they sold the company (for 7.4 BILLION!) but they hardly "sold out". You should have read farther in the wiki:

Wikipedia
Lasseter and Catmull's oversight of both the Disney and Pixar studios did not mean that the two studios were merging, however. In fact, additional conditions were laid out as part of the deal to ensure that Pixar remained a separate entity, a concern that analysts had expressed about the Disney deal.[31] Some of those conditions were that Pixar HR policies would remain intact, including the lack of employment contracts. Also, the Pixar name was guaranteed to continue, and the studio would remain in its current Emeryville, California location with the "Pixar" sign. Finally, branding of films made post-merger would be "Disney•Pixar" (beginning with Cars).[32]


Having been in a company that was just acquired by a large conglomerate i can most certainly tell you that what they did was sell, not sell out, their company.
1.) You say this like I didn't already recognize a number of posts ago that Pixar maintains a degree of autonomy.

2.) I'm still baffled how you can't consider selling the company and control of it for oodles of cash isn't considered selling out. Obviously they didn't gut the company and start shitting out direct to video crapfests in rapid succession, but with films and their egregious promotional tie-ins like Cars 2, they've clearly made compromises.

dabeast0976 wrote:
kenzo wrote:
dabeast0976 wrote:Toy Story 2 and 3 were the most critically acclaimed movies that Pixar has done. To say they made them just for the sake of pleasing a corporate boss is hyperbole at worst and downright dumb at best.

You are just one of those people that say, "Hey man, you sold out to the man, maaaaaaaan."
For the toy stuff - I'm just speaking to my personal knowledge on the matter, which is mostly just parroting the things Pixar employees have told me. Could I be totally wrong on the matter? Maybe. But I'll trust what Pixar employees have told me about their own business versus self-proclaimed toy experts who get their credentials from visiting a toy fair.

/name-dropping and dick-waving that I didn't want to originally do


Hope you weren't the one calling me a toy expert. I've only been in the industry for six years and my observations, along with reading monthly magazines and daily articles on the subject matter, are what form my opinions.

kenzo wrote:You realize that this doesn't help your argument? It says TS 2 was supposed to be straight to video, not that it wasn't supposed to be made. When they say they were not happy with how it was turning out, they mean Pixar wasn't happy with the story, not that Disney wanted it in theaters. It turned out to be too much for the "B" team so they brought the "A" team in to finish it. Why else bring in a new writing team and not an animation team?
By "bringing in the A team," that includes the entire production pipeline. You can't just rewrite the script and all of a sudden another hour of movie appears. You need new artists, modelers, renderers, sound engineers, etc. to join the team to pick up the extra load and to redo everything you've just axed with a script rewrite. They didn't pull a Duke Nukem and just tweak things to shove it out the door, it was basically a brand new film.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby kenzo » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 1:38pm

I didn't know Brave was just the new name for "The Bear and the Bow." I've heard good things about this project.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby kenzo » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 1:40pm

Also:
Image
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby dabeast0976 » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 1:48pm

kenzo wrote:2.) I'm still baffled how you can't consider selling the company and control of it for oodles of cash isn't considered selling out. Obviously they didn't gut the company and start shitting out direct to video crapfests in rapid succession, but with films and their egregious promotional tie-ins like Cars 2, they've clearly made compromises..


What Pixar did was sell the company for major bucks while making sure the employees were safe. Do you know how rare that is? He bent Disney over a barrel for both money and autonomy and got both!

Have you ever been a part of an acquisition/merger? The acquired party is usually gutted and people from the acquiring party take over those positions. Thankfully in my case the acquiring company didn't have a toy company and only one of our people was let go.

And Pixar has always done movie tie ins with different companies. Everyone does.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby dabeast0976 » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 1:49pm

kenzo wrote:1.) You say this like I didn't already recognize a number of posts ago that Pixar maintains a degree of autonomy.

Nope, didn't see it. If you did i apologize.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby dabeast0976 » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 1:52pm

kenzo wrote:I didn't know Brave was just the new name for "The Bear and the Bow." I've heard good things about this project.


Really? You weren't impressed before...
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby dabeast0976 » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 1:55pm

kenzo wrote:Also:
Image


And? They can't all be gems.

I'm bored. Let's talk about something else, like the movie Troll posted.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby kenzo » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 2:03pm

I think like everything in life, there's different varying degrees to things, and selling out is no different. Sure, you can go full Ozzie Osbourne. But to a much lesser extent, you can do what Pixar did. Yeah, they got a pretty sweet deal as far as buyouts go, and this was largely a deal that was mutually beneficial. But the fact still remains that they sold their company and relinquished a significant degree of control over their own future for heaping loads of cash, when they could have simply maintained their independence and continued doing business as usual. If Pixar really wanted to, they could have entered a licencing agreement with someone else, or made their own animation empire and ground Disney under their heels one day (remember, back in '04-'05, Eisner was running the company into the ground and their publishing agreements with Pixar was one of the few bright spots on their financial reports).
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby kenzo » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 2:05pm

dabeast0976 wrote:
kenzo wrote:I didn't know Brave was just the new name for "The Bear and the Bow." I've heard good things about this project.
Really? You weren't impressed before...
I was not impressed by the minute long teaser clip I saw with the name "Brave" attached to it before that I've never heard of. But I've heard very good things about "Bear and the Bow" from people I trust.

dabeast0976 wrote:And? They can't all be gems.
I'm pretty sure lots of people expected otherwise before this film. Pixar gets the same kinds of nerd-veneration that Valve does where they expect that they can do no wrong. But unlike Valve, (at least in my opinion) that veneration has been mostly justified until recently.

dabeast0976 wrote:I'm bored. Let's talk about something else, like the movie Troll posted.
Agreed. Ready for witches and Scottish bears?
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby Raine » Jun 29th, 2011 @ 9:19pm

People give Pixar more credit than they deserve. I adore the first half of Wall E, and some of the other movies range between "pretty good" and "not too bad", but c'mon people. . . they don't poop out solid gold. Cars fucking sucked. It's a piece of shit, throwaway children's movie with some nice animation. I assume Cars 2 is worse. I also thought Monters inc sucked balls.

That being said, I love the first half of Wall E so damn much I'll always give Pixar movies a chance. I didn't watch the trailer for the new movie cause I don't feel like enabling cookies on my browser atm, but I definitely will.
Raine
User avatar
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: May 7th, 2009 @ 4:55pm
Location: Rockingham, NC

Cephalexin For JeaMent

Postby JeaJath » Feb 15th, 2019 @ 5:31pm

Baclofen Vente 10mg viagra online Propecia Medical Concerns Aldactone Without A Prescription
Buy Tadalista 20 cialis 5 mg Efectos Viagra Cuerpo Humano
JeaJath
 
Posts: 7010
Joined: Dec 18th, 2018 @ 11:03am
Location: Belgium

Buy Prevacid Canada JeaMent

Postby JeaJath » Feb 15th, 2019 @ 5:33pm

Mrsa Zithromax priligy de 30 o 60 Precio Cialis Cialis Buy Tadalista Online Retin A Gel 0.1 Without Prescription
Buy Tadalista 20 cialis 5 mg Efectos Viagra Cuerpo Humano
JeaJath
 
Posts: 7010
Joined: Dec 18th, 2018 @ 11:03am
Location: Belgium

Previous
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Options

Return to TV and Movies

cron