Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Favourite Childhood Cartoon Show

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 8th, 2009 @ 11:50pm

What was your favourite childhood cartoon show, when you were say... between the age of 6 years old and 16 years old; I say the age bracket because whilst my favourite childrens cartoon show is Dragonball Z, I actually watched that during the 18yo-20yo bracket. So, what was your favourite, must see cartoon show when you were a child?
Mine is a tad obscure, but it is Tekkaman: Blade aka Teknoman, it is the only cartoon show ever to make me cry. But it was must-see every morning before school. It came out in 1992, and it was about a man who had amnesia during an alien invasion that later becomes the saviour of the human race; despite his initial design being a harbinger against humanity. Freaking great story with a rather sad ending. He lost his ability to speak and was wheelchair bound, it was one of the most adult feeling cartoon shows I'd ever seen at that time...
so...
what is your favourite childhood cartoon show and what do you remember most about it?
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Re: Favourite Childhood Cartoon Show

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 9th, 2009 @ 12:10am

Sciv wrote:Early years: TMNT

Late childhood/Teens: Spider-man

Unfortunately I have a terrible memory and don't remember many specifics of the shows (need to get around to buying the dvds..) but I remember thinking Casey Jones was the ultimate bad ass back in the day and seem to remember something about Mary Jane really being a clone or something near the end of the Spider-man run and then melting into a puddle of water? I'll have to get back to you on that one...

By far my favorite childhood toy though (excluding video games) was the giant TMNT van with sliding door. I even had (and still have) a Donatello action figure to go with it. It was rad.

I'm sorry, but the 90s Spider-Man series was absolute garbage in my opinion.

Horrible character designs, recycled animations, poor CGI integration, stupid stories, etc.

And yes, Mary Jane was a clone made of water made by Warren Miles, aka, The Jackal. She did evaporate.

That's almost as dumb as the Clone Saga (which they also did in the series) or Mephisto anulling Peter's marriage to Mary Jane.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby consolerpgaddict » Mar 9th, 2009 @ 12:23am

I don't remember that far back but from my watching cartoon days I had more than one.

Robots - Transformers

Soldiers - G.I. Joe

Hanna Barbara - Flintstones
consolerpgaddict

Postby Nude Grandpa » Mar 9th, 2009 @ 2:44am

Ninja Turtles by far was my favorite growing up.

Some others were Dinosaucers, GI Joe, Duck Tales, and M.A.S.K.
XBL/Steam: TheLastGrandpa
twitter: DaveCorbin
Nude Grandpa

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 9th, 2009 @ 4:16am

relax_cage wrote:Though not technically a cartoon,The Trap Door is pure genius.They were only 5 minute fillers, but Berk, Boney and Drutt all had an amazing charm about them. If you haven't seen it before, I greatly recommend watching it. It's the kind of cartoon you can watch at any age and get something out of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-dapSswWTQ

I was also a big fan of Johnny Bravo, and got season 1 on DVD for Christmas last year. 8-)

True, Trap Door was always awesome, my father would always switch to the channel just before the weather came on the news channel, great fun, that and Gogs which replaced Trap Door after a while in Australia, cavemen with pee jokes
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby Skrattybones » Mar 9th, 2009 @ 10:16am

Power Rangers ruled my life. No cable back then, so no channels with cartoons. But man, there was Power Rangers.
Skrattybones

Postby James-Kond » Mar 9th, 2009 @ 1:05pm

Mhh..

Dragon Ball Z for sure, also Gundam Wing was damned awesome.
Apart from that used to watch a few eps of Spider-Man and Batman: The Animated Series 8-)

EDIT: Power Rangers ofc, sorry =p
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby indieinsd » Mar 9th, 2009 @ 3:32pm

Thunder Cats and Silverhawks. We had a satellite dish so my dad use to tape them (on beta) and my brother and I got really into both series.

It's weird though cause nobody else in the neighborhood had any idea of what the hell the Silverhawks were. It must not have been picked up as widely as Thundercats. I actually added all the dvds for both series to my netflix queue just to see if they are still watchable.
indieinsd

Postby Jeku » Mar 9th, 2009 @ 4:10pm

He-Man, Duck Takes, and Rescue Rangers!
Jeku
Geekbox VIP

Postby LTSmash » Mar 9th, 2009 @ 10:10pm

The Real Ghostbusters, followed later by Batman: The Animated Series
LTSmash

Postby Keiran_Horn » Mar 10th, 2009 @ 12:18am

I loved the X-Men animated series on FOX Kids. I used to watch that every weekend.
"Genius, all over the world, stands hand in hand, and one shock of recognition runs the whole circle round."
- Herman Melville
Keiran_Horn

Postby Rydog » Mar 10th, 2009 @ 9:07am

All-time favorite childhood cartoon has to be TMNT. Although Transformers, Masters of the Universe, Voltron, and Inspector Gadget are up there, too. I also really liked a lot of the Nintendo cartoons, especially The Legend of Zelda -- which, in hindsight, was a pretty dumb show.

EDIT: Forgot about Batman: The Animated Series. Although that came comparatively later. TMNT was my favorite childhood cartoon, but B:TAS was my favorite teenage-years cartoon. :)
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby Clint » Mar 10th, 2009 @ 10:10am

Rocko's Modern Life. I'll never get how they got away with some of the innuendo in that show...
Clint

Postby GiantAsianMan » Mar 10th, 2009 @ 10:21am

Am I the only one who watched Animaniacs back in the day? It was insanely literate for a "children's show" and they got away with so much (like this). The show was funny as kid, and its even funnier now that I'm older (one of my favorite DVD collections) and can actually get all the jokes and references.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Deviant Seraph » Mar 10th, 2009 @ 3:15pm

If I were to choose a favorite, then I'll have to go with Batman the Animated Series. I can still remember how creeped out I was by Clayface. I also watched Spider-Man, X-Men and a lot of the old Disney cartoon series. When I got a little older I started watching Batman Beyond, Jackie Chan Adventures and toonami stuff.

Oh, and tons and tons of Simpsons.
Deviant Seraph

Postby mtcantor » Mar 17th, 2009 @ 10:17pm

Lets see...

Ghostbusters and TMNT were two of my MUST-watch favorites when I was little.

Later on it was Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and later Freakazoid.

While they werent exactly favorites I have fond memories of Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, and (oddly) Denver, the Last Dinosaur, though it is probably just the completely awesome theme song.

Thinking back on it now, I watched a heck of a lot of David the Gnome when I was real little... though I don't think I ever liked it.
Currently Playing: Heavy Rain, Dragon Age: Origins, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Saints Row 2
Recently finished: Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2,No More Heroes 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders
mtcantor

Postby mtcantor » Mar 17th, 2009 @ 10:18pm

Rydog wrote:I also really liked a lot of the Nintendo cartoons, especially The Legend of Zelda -- which, in hindsight, was a pretty dumb show.

Well excuuuuuuuuse me Rydog!
Currently Playing: Heavy Rain, Dragon Age: Origins, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Saints Row 2
Recently finished: Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2,No More Heroes 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders
mtcantor

Postby nkarasch » Mar 17th, 2009 @ 10:54pm

I really liked Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles a lot but what really stands out is Fox Kids. The first season of Power Rangers, Pinky and the Brain, Animaniacs, Bonkers, Batman: TAS. Saturday morning was awesome too because of Spiderman (but that might have been when I was a little older). I still have Spiderman recorded on VHS tapes somewhere. I bet the quality is awesome

I really liked the stuff cartoon network used to have too like Johnny Quest, Flintstones, Jetsons and of course Underdog (probably nickelodeon).
Steam Name - BacksideNoseblunt
XBL - BcksideNoseblnt
friend me, I have no friends
nkarasch

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 18th, 2009 @ 3:30pm

I used to watch a lot of Hanna Barbara World of Super Adventures, which always showed The Herculoids:

And to this day, I love Captain N:

"MEGA HI, KID ICARUS!"

"GOSHICUS, MEGA MAN!"
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Mar 18th, 2009 @ 3:43pm

The first cartoon that I ever remember obsessing over as a kid was Voltron. I used to have dreams about my parents buying me the toys and stashing them around the house, and then I'd wake up disappointed and wander around the house looking for places they might have hidden them anyways.

As I got a bit older the obsession turned to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle BIG TIME. My powers of persuasion must have grown considerably in those years, since in my childhood I amassed a small fortune in TMNT action figures, vehicles and playsets.

Then into my preteen/teen years I started to get into the more wacky shows on Nickelodeon, specifically Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life. These shows are actually more hilarious to me now as an adult than they used to be as some of the humor in them is actually pretty zany and mature for kids.
LiQuid

Postby tseudo » Mar 18th, 2009 @ 4:11pm

TMNT
Biker Mice From Mars
Street Sharks
Sonic The Hedgehog
Power Rangers

Classic TV shows. Used to love Sooty and Sweep as well, they were these 2 puppet dogs who just talked in squeeks but it rocked.
Freeing excellence affects reality
http://www.last.fm/user/maidenforce
tseudo

Postby spindash » Mar 19th, 2009 @ 10:50am

Hi everyone. First post here.

I pretty much was a kid of 90's, I might remember some things from the late 80's, though very vaguely. I remember having Cartoon Network briefly when we could afford extended cable, so pretty much anything Bugs Bunny down to Tom and Jerry. Whatever else too, SwatKats, Captain Planet, Jonny Bravo, lots more. And of course Toonami. I certainly would of never been so drawn to Japanese culture if it weren't for that most important influence in my younger days.
spindash

Postby HurricaneDean » Mar 19th, 2009 @ 8:59pm

Pokemon ruled my life.
Digimon was 2nd.
Power Rangers wasn't even a cartoon, but I'm still going to list it.
Thanks to The Geekbox, I have cured my addiction to gaming. I now have an addiction to comics. And Lost. =/
HurricaneDean

Postby LTSmash » Mar 20th, 2009 @ 9:27am

The 90's X-Men animated series may have had some rough animation, but the voice acting was top notch. All of the voices seemed to fit the characters perfectly, particularly Wolverine.
LTSmash

Postby booboodaddy » May 17th, 2010 @ 4:06pm

Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig, etc.
Bullwinkle
Hong Kong Phooey, etc.
Pink Panther
Yogi Bear, Snagglepuss. etc.
Almost anything by Tex Avery
booboodaddy

Postby Natto » May 17th, 2010 @ 4:53pm

Animaniacs!
I like to draw stuff.
Natto

Postby Bobloblaw » May 17th, 2010 @ 8:35pm

What? No love for Thunder Cats, M.A.S.K, or Silverhawks?
Bobloblaw

Postby LiQuid » May 17th, 2010 @ 9:51pm

booboodaddy wrote:Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig, etc.
Almost anything by Tex Avery

You know, I didn't really consider Looney Tunes initially, but man did I effing love those cartoons growing up. I remember there being big blocks of LT's on every evening right before dinner time and I used to watch them to pass the time when I was starting to get hungry and it always seemed to make the time go by faster. I really hope they're being played somewhere for the newer generations of kids growing up, but I seriously doubt they are.
LiQuid

Postby IMLabman » May 17th, 2010 @ 10:51pm

Childhood favourites? Well, here are some of my childhood to teen faves:

- Gummi Bears
- Tale Spin
- Ducktales
- The Racoons
- Scooby Doo
- Captain Planet
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Captain N
- ProStars
- My Pet Monster
- Hercules
- Spiderman
- He-Man
- Pinky and The Brain
- The Simpsons

Man, I'm sure there are tonnes more I'm forgetting.
IMLabman

Postby kenzo » May 17th, 2010 @ 11:20pm

These are my childhood to teen favorites in no particular order:
- Darkwing Duck
- Scooby Doo
- Captain Planet
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Transformers
- Beast Wars
- Reboot
- Aladdin
- Hercules
- Spiderman
- X-Men
- Batman
- Pinky and The Brain
- The Simpsons
- Beavis and Butthead
- Ren & Stimpy
- Rocko's Modern Life
- Daria
- Anything Looney Tunes (not including Tiny Toons)
- The Muppet Show (not including Muppet Babies)
- Animaniacs
- Freakazoid
Last edited by kenzo on May 17th, 2010 @ 11:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Next
Forum Statistics