Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Whatcha been watching?

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 4th, 2016 @ 9:11pm

The 100's latest episode was really good.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Mar 5th, 2016 @ 7:50am

Tried to watch some Star Wars Rebels. It's shit. Shit animation. Shit episodic, procedural plots. Shit little kid dialog. I heard it feels more like the original trilogy than Clone Wars and that's a lie. It feels exactly like Clone Wars in that you can FEEL it being a little kids cartoon every time someone speaks. I know the Star Wars movies aren't exactly haute cinema. They have never been what I would consider "mature" but there's something tonally off about all the CG cartoon shows that I just don't jive with. Even the prequel trilogy which has robots making literal cartoon noises when they blow up don't seem as puerile as the cartoons.

Also it's really annoying how these shows are so littered with references to the official material in forced ways. They made it ONE whole episode into Rebels before 3P0 and R2 showed up. And they even threw in CG Jimmy Smits for good measure.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Mar 6th, 2016 @ 1:50pm

LiQuid wrote:Tried to watch some Star Wars Rebels. It's shit. Shit animation. Shit episodic, procedural plots. Shit little kid dialog.
It absolutely is. For most of the first season.

It starts getting good when Tarkin shows up, and Season 2 is pretty great. But if you don't stick with it for that long, nobody should blame you.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Mar 6th, 2016 @ 2:20pm

People fed me that same line about Clone Wars. 2 different times I have tried to sit down and watch that series and I have gotten to about the mid-way point in season 1 both times before getting severely bored. Even when the show was trying so hard to be interesting it still came off as infantile. I guess I'm not as stubborn as Ryan Scott in that I'm not opposed to sitting thru some shitty TV to get to the good stuff, especially since 90% of the TV I watch is shitty by default. I guess my problem is more than I'm just not as into Star Wars as I feel like I should be. I get into moods where I feel like I just need to consume some kind of Star Wars media and then I dip a toe in and realize I just don't care that much. I like seeing people flipping around with lazer swords. I don't really care about corny ass kiddie plot of the week. It doesn't help that I find CG animation repulsive.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Mar 6th, 2016 @ 4:08pm

I hear Clone Wars takes a real long time to get going. Like multiple seasons of not good before the good.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Mar 6th, 2016 @ 5:00pm

Ya I herd season 3. With 22 ep seasons that's way too much commitment. I found a .jpg that has all of the highlights and honorable mentions from every season in case u wanna skip all the episodic junk episodes. If I ever give the show a third chance I'm gonna use that and skip the filler.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Mar 6th, 2016 @ 10:53pm

I had a friend who worked on Clone Wars for a while. I tried to watch the show out of friendship obligations, but the first season was so bad that I never got around to the second season where he started working on it. I think I quit after the Jar Jar episode, which kills me because I actually love Jar Jar, but this episode was beyond boring.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Mar 7th, 2016 @ 4:57am

This season of Venture Brothers is the best the show has ever been, and has finally gotten back to the original core conceit of the show. It's great. I love it.
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Mar 7th, 2016 @ 7:57am

kenzo wrote:This season of Venture Brothers is the best the show has ever been, and has finally gotten back to the original core conceit of the show. It's great. I love it.
My only complaint with it is that:
Spoiler: show
they created a ton of really fun new characters, that don't end up surviving past a single episode.

They created awesome analogs for MODOK and Lex Luthor etc. and then immediately kill them.

I mean, yeah, maybe "Lex Luthor as Andy Warhol" would get old fast, but I could have used a lot more Think Tank.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Mar 9th, 2016 @ 7:55am

Better Call Saul is doing a bad job of justifying its existence again, especially now that Mike and Jimmy's stories are completely segregated from each other.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 13th, 2016 @ 7:48pm

10 Cloverfield Lane is really good.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Mar 17th, 2016 @ 1:19pm

Started watching Agents of Shield this week when I got side tracked thinking about how rad Mark Dacascos is. I was looking into his filmography and randomly stumbled upon this upload of his movie Drive from 1997 (uploader lies it's not from 1998).

Ended up watching the whole thing and it's amazing. It's like proto-Rush Hour. It's got BOB THE GOON from Burton's Batman in it. Everything about it is amazing. It has a Remedy (Max Payne/Alan Wake) style fake TV show that plays throughout the course of it, and THAT's amazing. This is the kind of movie I wish still existed. Corny as fuck, B-action movie that still has some rad stunts and kung fu and doesn't take itself too seriously.

I mean, come on fucking look at this shit...

I can't find any individual scenes from the movie itself to show you some of my favs and I don't want to go back and find timestamps, but I can pretty much guarantee you'll have a good time if you just watch the whole thing.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Mar 17th, 2016 @ 2:22pm

"Son of bitch can eat flour and shit cupcakes!"

"Look, it's my favorite cheese-eating dickmonkey."

That movie is I N C R E D I B L E
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Mar 17th, 2016 @ 6:22pm

Only 80s gamers:

This week's TMNT episode.

"Look out for that crazy electric seaweed!"

"I'll have us through in 2 minutes and 20 seconds."
DarthEnder

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 17th, 2016 @ 8:23pm

LiQuid wrote:Started watching Agents of Shield this week when I got side tracked thinking about how rad Mark Dacascos is. I was looking into his filmography and randomly stumbled upon this upload of his movie Drive from 1997 (uploader lies it's not from 1998).

Ended up watching the whole thing and it's amazing. It's like proto-Rush Hour. It's got BOB THE GOON from Burton's Batman in it. Everything about it is amazing. It has a Remedy (Max Payne/Alan Wake) style fake TV show that plays throughout the course of it, and THAT's amazing. This is the kind of movie I wish still existed. Corny as fuck, B-action movie that still has some rad stunts and kung fu and doesn't take itself too seriously.

I mean, come on fucking look at this shit...

I can't find any individual scenes from the movie itself to show you some of my favs and I don't want to go back and find timestamps, but I can pretty much guarantee you'll have a good time if you just watch the whole thing.

I haven't seen this movie since it was new and don't remember anything about it. It's one of the million movies my dad discovered and made me watch.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Mar 17th, 2016 @ 9:51pm

Mr_eX wrote:I haven't seen this movie since it was new and don't remember anything about it. It's one of the million movies my dad discovered and made me watch.

It makes me so fucking sad that that movie was practically created SPECIFICALLY for 16 year old me and I didn't see it until 20 years later. Better late than never, I say.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 21st, 2016 @ 5:59am

Daredevil season 2 is pretty great. It doesn't have the focus of the first season but I feel like it had way more and better action scenes.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Mar 21st, 2016 @ 10:13am

The first season had focus?!
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Mar 21st, 2016 @ 10:15am

Daredevil coming out actually lit a fire for me to finish watching Jessica Jones. I watched a couple more episodes and I'm up to 6 or 7 now. It's kind of boring, truth be told, but I still enjoy it way way more than the first season of Daredevil which was an abomination. I've heard from my most trusted source that season 2 of Daredevil is somehow even worse than the first season, so I MIGHT skip it, but it's really hard when I want to try and keep up with this shit merely for the purposes of having a knowledge base to shit on it.

ed: I just checked I'm actually up to 8. God these seasons are 13 episodes long. That's like 4 too many. How the fuck do you dipshits watch 13 episodes of television in 2 days. I probably do less than most of you on a daily basis and I can't even swing that kind of commitment.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Mar 21st, 2016 @ 12:01pm

LiQuid wrote: It's kind of boring, truth be told, but I still enjoy it way way more than the first season of Daredevil which was an abomination.

Jessica Jones is so awful. I can't even finish it. I think I've seen up to episode 8 or 9?

The writing is bad - probably the worst I've ever seen.
What do you like about it? EDIT - maybe it'll help me get back into it, maybe I'm missing something?

This was the only good moment in the show:

"TWO FOR ONE HOAGIES~ TWO FOR ONE."
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Mar 21st, 2016 @ 12:23pm

Mommy the sandwich saved me!

No you aren't missing anything. It's not great. It's glorified anti-"rape culture" feminist allegory. Dr. Who is just easily, and I mean fucking EASILY a hundred times better a villain than that awful Kingpin from DD. I think JJ is potentially a really rad character too, but these Netflix production values are treating her so poorly. The minor flashes of power that you see are fan film caliber. It's so disappointing to watch. I'll write you a book report when I finish it and let you know if it's worth holding out, but I imagine, like Daredevil, it won't be.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Mar 21st, 2016 @ 8:18pm

Mr_eX wrote:It doesn't have the focus of the first season but I feel like it had way more and better action scenes.
Not that much less. It has two major storylines running through it as opposed to the first seasons 1.

LiQuid wrote:ed: I just checked I'm actually up to 8. God these seasons are 13 episodes long. That's like 4 too many.
Gotta agree. They just don't need to be that long. 10 episodes would be perfect. Karen gets too much screentime. She's practically a 2nd protagonist, but her storyline of "person looking shit up" doesn't hold interest like superhero ninja does.

LiQuid wrote:How the fuck do you dipshits watch 13 episodes of television in 2 days.
I spent all day and night Saturday watching it. My recliner is shaped like my butt.
DarthEnder

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 21st, 2016 @ 8:56pm

The Punisher is easily the best part of the new season and probably should have had his own series instead of a supporting role on Daredevil.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Mar 22nd, 2016 @ 5:11pm

Alright I still got an episode and a half of this Jessica Jones show but I kind of unironically like it. It's soupy shitsauce but it's dumb as fuck and cockamamie as all hell. Their plans for stopping Killgravy are probably the dumbest shit I've ever heard, even by comic book standards but it leads to a bunch of people getting murdered and fucked up in hilarious ways, so I'm way on board. This show's aaaalriiiiight.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Mar 22nd, 2016 @ 8:44pm

I know, right? The Kilgrave problem is easily solved with a damn rifle with a scope.
Last edited by DarthEnder on Mar 22nd, 2016 @ 8:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Mar 22nd, 2016 @ 8:51pm

Specifically her reason for not wanting to just kill him the ENTIRE season and then all her hard work being rewarded by that chick knifin herself and then it's like, oh, well I guess we can just kill him now. :lol:

Still got one more episode left to go.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Mar 22nd, 2016 @ 8:57pm

LiQuid wrote:Specifically her reason for not wanting to just kill him the ENTIRE season and then all her hard work being rewarded by that chick knifin herself and then it's like, oh, well I guess we can just kill him now.
That's because the girl was way less stupid than Jessica.

"Oh, you mean in trying to get me out of jail, you let Kilgrave kill like a couple dozen more people? Look, you're clearly stupid. So I'm going to solve this problem for you."
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Mar 24th, 2016 @ 1:12am

Darflix ain't a bad way to spend a night.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Mar 24th, 2016 @ 12:25pm

Better Call Saul is such a fascinating show. Their ability to squeeze so much nothing into an episode rivals even Seinfeld.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 24th, 2016 @ 7:52pm

Trying to rewatch Game of Thrones before the new season starts. I don't think I'm going to make it.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics