Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Adventure Time!

Postby kenzo » Jul 13th, 2011 @ 2:13pm

kenzo

Re: Adventure Time!

Postby LiQuid » Jul 13th, 2011 @ 2:44pm

Adventure Time is one of the best shows of all time and more or less the only cartoon I go out of my way to watch, including all the prime time junk I've never been a fan of like Groening and McFarlane's stuff and South Park.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jul 13th, 2011 @ 3:16pm

The new episode this week was pretty boss.

"I LOVE you everything-burrito..."
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jul 14th, 2011 @ 1:55am

:o
kenzo

Postby flufflogic » Jul 15th, 2011 @ 3:25am

This and Regular Show give me hope my kids will get to keep watching the bizarre shit that Nick used to give us.

flufflogic

Postby LiQuid » Jul 15th, 2011 @ 10:45am

flufflogic wrote:Regular Show

Dude, fucking no. Literally no. I hear people lumping them together all the time and it makes me want to cry and punch people. You take that Regular Show bullshit the fuck out of this thread.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jul 15th, 2011 @ 7:18pm

"Hello? Eat my tarts??"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 15th, 2011 @ 7:20pm

Congrats, you fuckers have piqued my curiosity enough to check out this show. I'm not hopeful, as the golden age of Cartoon Network original series is over, but I will give it an open mind.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jul 15th, 2011 @ 7:32pm

This isn't a Cartoon Network original series. Pendleton Ward's studio made a brilliant and hilarious animated short and shopped the idea around and CN was just who eventually accepted. It could have just as easily landed on Nick if they were interested in amazing content instead of reruns of all their good stuff from 20 years ago.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 15th, 2011 @ 7:37pm

I was simply referring to that magic period where Cartoon Network was actually about awesome animated series, both original in-house and outside instead of live-action bullshit, but thanks for the info.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jul 15th, 2011 @ 7:42pm

I don't know how Jinpei will feel about all the magic rainbow unicorns (rainicorns) speaking Korean, but it's an excellent show and you won't regret it. Taking LiQuid up on his recommendation was easily the best thing I ever did in my life.

"must... must... PARTY FOR-EVERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
kenzo

Postby Jehlro » Jul 17th, 2011 @ 7:50pm

Jehlro

Postby LiQuid » Aug 7th, 2011 @ 12:06pm

LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 27th, 2011 @ 8:52pm

Some top shelf Adventure Time tunes.

LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 12:21am

OMGWHATTHEIDON'TEVEN
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 9:54am

kenzo wrote:
OMGWHATTHEIDON'TEVEN

Have you never heard of the concept of gender bending or flipping?
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 10:54am

Konanda wrote:Have you never heard of the concept of gender bending or flipping?
I've obviously heard of it, but this kind of shit is usually relegated to the inner depths of deviant art or livejournals. I don't know what to make of a show that's taken a weird fan-concept like this and run with it.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 11:48am

kenzo wrote:
Konanda wrote:Have you never heard of the concept of gender bending or flipping?
I've obviously heard of it, but this kind of shit is usually relegated to the inner depths of deviant art or livejournals. I don't know what to make of a show that's taken a weird fan-concept like this and run with it.

You are totally mistaken, the idea of changing a character gender is a concept in storytelling that is older than dirt. Just look at Tiresias in Greek mythology, Vishnu in Hindu mythology, Venus turned some Scythians raiders who looted a temple of hers into women, Loki of Norse mythology turned into a woman more than once.

For a more modern take they changed Lt. Starbuck into a female in the remake of Battlestar Galactica, Persona 3 Portable you can play through the same game with the main character as a female, the film adaptation of Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park swapped the grandchildren making the girl the computer whiz and the boy a little brother.

It is by no means some strange outcast concept that a bunch of fan girls made up, stop being such a prude. It's cool if you aren't into it but trying to pass it off as some alien degenerate thing is just straight up ignorant.
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 12:03pm

A.) Your defensiveness on the subject is hilarious and unwarranted.
2.) You're citing ancient mythology as if the creators here had some kind of lofty metaphysical intentions. They didn't.
III.) *Digs a little deeper* Quoting the character designer:
Personally I wanted this episode to be a jab at, but also a huge celebration of, the feeling of being a fan, of allowing something completely ridiculous to make your heart tighten or even, in some small way, change how you feel about yourself.

So in other words, she wanted to celebrate and bait fans that are all about this:
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 12:09pm

I'm not being defensive I'm just saying that stating that gender bending/flipping is just something you see in weird fan art is totally false. I was specifically referring to your attitude in general not to this specific instance.

I do not understand why this is hilarious or unwarranted, as all I'm doing is calling you out for being entirely incorrect.
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 1:09pm

Konanda wrote:...all I'm doing is calling you out for being entirely incorrect.
And yet, you've done nothing to disprove all the points I just brought up as a retort. You bring up Vishnu and Jurassic Park as examples of literary gender bending that has a purpose other than creating a creepy fan-gassam. And that's great, but that acts more as exemptions that proves the rule and ignores the context of what I was talking about.

Most gender bending, done in the way this show is doing it, is for weird and creepy purposes like the fan art I just posted, or some Dynasty Warriors or Kampfer nonsense. And I even quoted the creator who basically acknowledges this was her intent to comment on and celebrate this kind of stuff that I'm talking about - yet you're still stubbornly clinging to the idea that I'm "entirely incorrect." :lol:
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 2:20pm

kenzo wrote:
Konanda wrote:...all I'm doing is calling you out for being entirely incorrect.
And yet, you've done nothing to disprove all the points I just brought up as a retort. You bring up Vishnu and Jurassic Park as examples of literary gender bending that has a purpose other than creating a creepy fan-gassam. And that's great, but that acts more as exemptions that proves the rule and ignores the context of what I was talking about.

Most gender bending, done in the way this show is doing it, is for weird and creepy purposes like the fan art I just posted, or some Dynasty Warriors or Kampfer nonsense. And I even quoted the creator who basically acknowledges this was her intent to comment on and celebrate this kind of stuff that I'm talking about - yet you're still stubbornly clinging to the idea that I'm "entirely incorrect." :lol:

I agree to disagree since you clearly are not comprehending my point at all, this is evident in citing the creator when I am merely referring to your assumption that gender bending is some weird obscure thing relegated to parts of the internet that you hold in contempt.
Konanda

Postby LiQuid » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 2:49pm

Man, kenzo you've really been doing a stand up job filling in as resident Argumentative Asian since Jinpei turned gym bunny. Commendable work.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 5:44pm

Konanda wrote:I agree to disagree since you clearly are not comprehending my point at all, this is evident in citing the creator when I am merely referring to your assumption that gender bending is some weird obscure thing relegated to parts of the internet that you hold in contempt.
I get your point, and it's pointless. You're telling me my statement was wrong on a minor technicality of wording, when you should know damned well what my intents were. It's the purest form of arguing for the sake of arguing, and completely non-constructive.

LiQuid wrote:Man, kenzo you've really been doing a stand up job filling in as resident Argumentative Asian since Jinpei turned gym bunny. Commendable work.
Somebody's gotta do it.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 6:00pm

kenzo wrote:
Konanda wrote:I agree to disagree since you clearly are not comprehending my point at all, this is evident in citing the creator when I am merely referring to your assumption that gender bending is some weird obscure thing relegated to parts of the internet that you hold in contempt.
I get your point, and it's pointless. You're telling me my statement was wrong on a minor technicality of wording, when you should know damned well what my intents were. It's the purest form of arguing for the sake of arguing, and completely non-constructive.

Just trying to dispel ignorance. Also pointlessly ghettoizing the concept of gender bending and gender flipping, just because you particularly do not care for it is much less constructive than my arguement. Finally, this is the last I will speak of this subject because this discussion became boring about 4 posts ago.
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 10:19pm

Konanda wrote:Just trying to dispel ignorance. Also pointlessly ghettoizing the concept of gender bending and gender flipping, just because you particularly do not care for it is much less constructive than my arguement. Finally, this is the last I will speak of this subject because this discussion became boring about 4 posts ago.
You're not dispelling any ignorance, you're creating it by poking at fringes and making a stink about semantics rather than address the heart of the issue. And I'm not pointlessly ghettoizing something, it ghettoizes itself. Also, it's hilarious that we're even arguing about this because initially I didn't make any statements condemning or criticizing Cake the Cat and Fionna the Human, I just thought it was freaky. But since you jumped to conclusions, I just went with it.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2011 @ 3:05am

I wanna point out to Konanda that at the end of the Fionna and Cake episode, it turns out that the entire episode was creepy fan fiction written by The Ice King. Boom.

:lol:
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Sep 16th, 2011 @ 3:29am

That has got to be just about the most sickest, ice-burningest way I could ever imagine a discourse ending. Will humanity ever top that?
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2011 @ 4:42am

"Discourse"? Your description of what's going on in here is far too generous. :lol:
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Sep 16th, 2011 @ 10:32am

kenzo wrote:I wanna point out to Konanda that at the end of the Fionna and Cake episode, it turns out that the entire episode was creepy fan fiction written by The Ice King. Boom.

:lol:

Konanda wrote:

you clearly are not comprehending my point at all ... I am merely referring to your assumption that gender bending is some weird obscure thing relegated to parts of the internet that you hold in contempt.
Konanda

Next
Forum Statistics