Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby IRL_Troll » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 7:05am

Or, I hope at least. That'd be pretty fucking cool

Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Re: Brave, or Pixar's Legend of Zelda

Postby kenzo » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 11:52am

I'm not impressed. I'm a little disenfranchised with Pixar lately.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 12:11pm

kenzo wrote:I'm not impressed. I'm a little disenfranchised with Pixar lately.

Why?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby dabeast0976 » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 12:17pm

Not enough big eyed women getting raped by tentacle monsters?
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 12:26pm

Pixar's skewing a little young with Cars 2 this summer. Hope they go back to something more universal for their next film.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby dabeast0976 » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 12:29pm

A spy movie where Mater has machine guns and bombs is skewing younger?
dabeast0976

Postby kenzo » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 12:29pm

Mr_eX wrote:
kenzo wrote:I'm not impressed. I'm a little disenfranchised with Pixar lately.
Why?
I like when they do original films; I hate that they're being forced to make soulless sequels by Disney.

And the more I think about it, I hate that their films rely so heavily on holding the viewer emotionally hostage - it's almost on the level of RTD's Doctor Who. I just want to see some good ole adventuring, stop trying to make me feel emotions all the time.

I would also respect them more if they tried to do their own thing more often, rather than the company mandated policy of aping every aspect of Ghibli Studios possible.

Their now standard CG style of blobby-bouncy-cartoony character models mixed with hyper-realistic textures and backgrounds is beginning to gross me out. I enjoy their films more when their art style is more abstract.

dabeast0976 wrote:Not enough big eyed women getting raped by tentacle monsters?
Yeah, and this too I guess. :roll:
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 12:31pm

You say your disenfranchised by all the sequels but then you're not impressed by this original IP they are developing? Does not compute.
LiQuid

Postby dabeast0976 » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 12:42pm

Didn't you choose a Manga sequel for the original Moviebox?
dabeast0976

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 12:44pm

dabeast0976 wrote:A spy movie where Mater has machine guns and bombs is skewing younger?

The Cars franchise as a whole skews younger, as opposed to something like WAL-E or UP.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 1:02pm

LiQuid wrote:You say your disenfranchised by all the sequels but then you're not impressed by this original IP they are developing? Does not compute.
I'm not sure what there is to be impressed about by a short teaser clip that doesn't begin to convey anything about the film other than the facts that:

-There's seemingly a more traditional fantasy setting
-At some point in the film there's a bear, a horse, and a redhead
-The film is being called "Brave"

Where are they? Who is the main character? What is the plot going to be about? What are the main character's motivations like? Is this going to be a more serious film, or is it going to be aimed more at kids? The whole thing is just a big question mark. I'm reserving judgement, but I'm not excited by new Pixar films like I used to be. They still make very good and competent films, but they're not the same studio that could do no wrong in my eyes.

dabeast0976 wrote:Didn't you choose a Manga sequel for the original Moviebox?
The original moviebox, I chose a live action film that's roughly based on a novel (Departures). If you're talking about Lupin III, the film I chose (Plot of the Fuma Clan [1987]) has almost nothing to do with the manga it's all based on (which began in 1967).
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 1:30pm

Toy Story 3 is soulless?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 1:48pm

Mr_eX wrote:Toy Story 3 is soulless?
I haven't seen it, so I can't say. But the only things I've heard about it from other people is "omg, that one part, I cried so hard!" so I'm not really looking forward to it. Plus, I didn't really see the point of Toy Story 2 either - it's story didn't really have a purpose. I imagine #3 is the same way.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 2:07pm

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Toy Story 3 is soulless?
I haven't seen it, so I can't say. But the only things I've heard about it from other people is "omg, that one part, I cried so hard!" so I'm not really looking forward to it. Plus, I didn't really see the point of Toy Story 2 either - it's story didn't really have a purpose. I imagine #3 is the same way.

Didn't have a purpose? The secret origin of Woody and the rest of the Round-Up Gang was awesome. 2 stands as my favorite of the trilogy.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 2:19pm

Toy Story 3 was great in every possible way I can imagine a movie being. It was one of my favorite Pixar movies and easily my favorite Toy Story flick. I didn't cry. Kenzo's a hater.

There's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't do sequels to some of these movies. If you don't want to see another Monster's Inc. something is wrong with you. Stuff like Ratatouille and Up probably wouldn't work as well for sequels, but for the big character driven movies I don't see it as being a problem. How about another Incredibles? I didn't LOVE the first one, but I'm on board for bringing that family back for another adventure.

You can look at the Cars movies as missteps, but really I wouldn't debase the entire studio because of Brad Bird's passion project. Let him make his silly kids movies about cars. They are at the worst harmless.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 2:30pm

jinpei05 wrote:Didn't have a purpose? The secret origin of Woody and the rest of the Round-Up Gang was awesome. 2 stands as my favorite of the trilogy.
It was periphery to the core of the story - abandonment/trust issues, which had been covered pretty extensively and had a fulfilling closure in the first film. I'm not saying it wasn't a good film, I enjoyed it after all. It just felt redundant and I'd rather Pixar focused on telling a more original story with an original theme.

Right now, there's a sequel to Monsters Inc and The Incredibles in the works - neither of those films really feel like they lend themselves to sequels very readily.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 2:38pm

If Toy Story 2 y 3 weren't good I would see your point, but redundant as they may or may not have been, they were still wonderful movies. When you literally make the world's best animated films, you have earned the right to dip back into the well and tell some new stories with familiar characters. It's like complaining about video game sequels, which more often than not improve and iterate on their forebears. You're taking a company, a single company that has produced the best animated work of the 21st century, and saying that you don't appreciate the fact that they "only" have a half dozen original, masterpiece movies.

This doesn't have anything to do with them not being Japanese by chance, does it?
LiQuid

Postby Coctopus » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 2:39pm

I'm always a little disappointed when Pixar opts for a sequel. I think they're at their best creatively when they give us a new world to explore and characters to know. I was saddened when I found out they were doing Cars 2 seeing as Cars is my least favorite of their movies. The Brave teaser looks okay, but it's hard to get a feel for who the girl is or what the story will be without a more expository trailer. I guess we'll just have to wait.
Coctopus

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 2:40pm

The Incredibles doesn't lend itself to sequels? Are you being serious right now kenzo?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 2:43pm

Kenzo's just being a contrarian again. Motherfucker's worse than I am.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 2:44pm

But it's not like they "have the right" or are "opting" to do so. That implies Pixar wants to make these sequels over original films, when they don't. They'd rather be making original films, but Disney is forcing them to make sequels. And as good as these sequels might be, I can only imagine how much better it would have been if they'd taken that focus and effort and applied it to an original film. I'm not being a contrarian, just explaining that I've lost my zeal and excitement for their films.
kenzo

Postby Coctopus » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 2:46pm

kenzo wrote:But it's not like they "have the right" or are "opting" to do so. That implies Pixar wants to make these sequels over original films, when they don't. They'd rather be making original films, but Disney is forcing them to make sequels. And as good as these sequels might be, I can only imagine how much better it would have been if they'd taken that focus and effort and applied it to an original film. I'm not being a contrarian, just explaining that I've lost my zeal and excitement for their films.

I wonder if this is why they're moving towards putting out two movies a year. If they are forced into sequels, perhaps doing a second movie is their way of stretching themselves creatively without upsetting their mousey overlord.
Coctopus

Postby LiQuid » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 2:46pm

kenzo wrote:But it's not like they "have the right" or are "opting" to do so. That implies Pixar wants to make these sequels over original films, when they don't. They'd rather be making original films, but Disney is forcing them to make sequels. And as good as these sequels might be, I can only imagine how much better it would have been if they'd taken that focus and effort and applied it to an original film. I'm not being a contrarian, just explaining that I've lost my zeal and excitement for their films.

Now the first hand knowledge starts droppin! So what is your post at Pixar, kenzo? Did it really grind your gears when Disney sends out the memo demanding A Bug's Life 11?
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 2:59pm

Coctopus wrote:I wonder if this is why they're moving towards putting out two movies a year. If they are forced into sequels, perhaps doing a second movie is their way of stretching themselves creatively without upsetting their mousey overlord.
That's exactly what it's about. Disney wants sequels and films that lend themselves easily to making toys (which is why Cars 2 was made, and why Disney wasn't exactly thrilled with films like Wall-E and Ratatoulie that didn't lend themselves well to making toys), but the guys at Pixar want to make new films. This is how they're reconciling the two issues. And they've just completed work on a brand new, huge secondary campus right next door to the OG Pixar that took years to construct.

LiQuid wrote:Now the first hand knowledge starts droppin! So what is your post at Pixar, kenzo? Did it really grind your gears when Disney sends out the memo demanding A Bug's Life 11?
I don't work there, but I have friends who do. I actually had one leave the room in disgust when a Cars 2 commercial for State Farm came on ("I had nothing to do with that" :lol: ) while hangin' out.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 3:03pm

kenzo wrote:
Coctopus wrote:I wonder if this is why they're moving towards putting out two movies a year. If they are forced into sequels, perhaps doing a second movie is their way of stretching themselves creatively without upsetting their mousey overlord.
That's exactly what it's about. Disney wants sequels and films that lend themselves easily to making toys (which is why Cars 2 was made, and why Disney wasn't exactly thrilled with films like Wall-E and Ratatoulie that didn't lend themselves well to making toys), but the guys at Pixar want to make new films. This is how they're reconciling the two issues. And they've just completed work on a brand new, huge secondary campus right next door to the OG Pixar that took years to construct.

jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 3:17pm

That's nice, but those aren't exactly the kinds of toys kids go gaga over, or are easy/cheap for manufacturers to make, or feature cute/cool characters that kids fall in love with. Unlike the Cars 2 toys (they're basically classic boxcars) or the adorable Finding Nemo plushies. Toy Story is huge for Disney because it's a movie about toys, and they can make just as much money on toys and other licensed merchandising as they do on box office revenues.

But Disney wasn't really happy about say, Ratatouille - it's hard to market a film about fine cuisine and sewer rats to kids, let alone make attractive toys based on that idea. Same with Wall-E, a film about an ugly, piece of junk robot, and ugly asexual blobs for humans in a film that basically lacked conflict - that doesn't lend itself very well to toys in a toy industry focused on cool action figures and fashion dolls.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 3:34pm

kenzo wrote:That's nice, but those aren't exactly the kinds of toys kids go gaga over, or are easy/cheap for manufacturers to make, or feature cute/cool characters that kids fall in love with. Unlike the Cars 2 toys (they're basically classic boxcars) or the adorable Finding Nemo plushies. Toy Story is huge for Disney because it's a movie about toys, and they can make just as much money on toys and other licensed merchandising as they do on box office revenues.

But Disney wasn't really happy about say, Ratatouille - it's hard to market a film about fine cuisine and sewer rats to kids, let alone make attractive toys based on that idea. Same with Wall-E, a film about an ugly, piece of junk robot, and ugly asexual blobs for humans in a film that basically lacked conflict - that doesn't lend itself very well to toys in a toy industry focused on cool action figures and fashion dolls.

I had no idea you were a high-profile toy company exec as well as a Disney employee. :lol:

As someone who's actually been to the International Toy Fair in NYC (and dabeast can back me on this), there are all sorts of toys that we as adults we gloss over, but kids simply go ga-ga over. The toy market is highly diverse and wildly unpredictable, and licensed toys like these sell through the roof. My college buddies' sons' rooms are filled wall to wall with all sorts of Pixar character toys, not the least of which include Wall-E, Eve, Remy, and Lightning McQueen.

And Disney should be pleased with both WALL-E and Ratatouille. They're both multiple award winners as well as top-grossing films.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 3:49pm

Kenzo works everywhere. He's got all kinds of insider nawledge!
LiQuid

Postby Coctopus » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 3:52pm

Keep in mind, that although the movie like Wall-E and Ratatouille may have merch, they probably don't sell as much as Cars does. From what I've heard, the Cars crap accounts for literally billions of dollars in profits. I would say that's a pretty strong impetus for Disney to want another in the series.
Coctopus

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 28th, 2011 @ 3:59pm

I'm just challenging kenzo's statement that Disney didn't like the performance of those two films as much simply because they didn't generate as much money from licensed merchandise.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Next
Forum Statistics