Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Doctor Who Season 6

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 30th, 2011 @ 11:13pm

kenzo wrote:
manta173 wrote:It’s shown at the end of Lets Kill Hitler that the Doctor dies on 22/04/11 at 5.02pm
In TIA the letters he sent to River/Amy&Rory/Canton/Himself asked them to be there on 22/04/11 at 4.30pm, 32 minutes before.

In LKH, the voice interface of Amelia stated repeatedly that the Doctor had how long to live? 32 minutes exactly.

Thats seems like its a little convenient.
That's nice and all, but that's little more than a coincidence.

I highly doubt it's a coincidence, it could just be a red haring though.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Aug 31st, 2011 @ 12:14am

Honestly, I want to know how it could be anything more than a coincidence. He's told he has 32 minutes to live, and he allegedly spends 32 minutes hanging out with his companions before he dies. Anyone care to explain how that's significant or linked? He shows up in Utah, looking and acting fine (in a completely different getup from what he was wearing in "Let's Kill Hitler"), spends the entire 32 minutes hanging out with people, gets killed at the end, then his corpse is emulsified in a fire. He also clearly needed time in advance to prepare and deliver a series of cards to the various individuals to tell them where to go. And how is that supposed to be linked with the 32 minutes he spends talking to the TARDIS, changing his suit, and dancing about/dying on a staircase? How does any of that make sense?

And again though, you guys are completely forgetting that there's another flesh-Doctor running around out there doing stuff - that's clearly way more important than a simple coincidence of numbers.

Trying to decipher this shit early on is just stupid and pointless.
kenzo

Postby uppi17 » Aug 31st, 2011 @ 12:19am

kenzo wrote:And again though, you guys are completely forgetting that there's another flesh-Doctor running around out there doing stuff - that's clearly way more important than a simple coincidence of numbers.

The flesh Doctor that exploded at the end of the episode?
uppi17

Postby MrBiggs » Aug 31st, 2011 @ 7:32am

Didn't they say the the Doctor that dies had an extra 200 years of experiences or something, too?
MrBiggs

Postby kenzo » Aug 31st, 2011 @ 7:57am

uppi17 wrote:
kenzo wrote:And again though, you guys are completely forgetting that there's another flesh-Doctor running around out there doing stuff - that's clearly way more important than a simple coincidence of numbers.
The flesh Doctor that exploded at the end of the episode?
Yeah, you know... the same one that also said "we'll probably re-congeal after exploding."

MrBiggs wrote:Didn't they say the the Doctor that dies had an extra 200 years of experiences or something, too?
Yep. Which shouldn't be taken lightly. 200 years older, but looking like the same age. It's totally the flesh-Doctor that kicks the bucket.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 31st, 2011 @ 8:31am

The Doctor lies.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby uppi17 » Aug 31st, 2011 @ 8:36am

I would have said that the 200 years were spent trying to find and help River Song. But that appears to have been solved in 32 minutes.

However, I'm not buying that the Doctor that died at the beginning of the series is a Flesh Doctor (the key word in your quote is "probably"). If it does turn out to be the case he's a Flesh Doctor then it's no worse than a 'but it was all a dream' ending. And S Moffatt is too smart for an ending like that. Hopefully.
uppi17

Postby kenzo » Aug 31st, 2011 @ 8:49am

Mr_eX wrote:The Doctor lies.
Further compounding how silly it is to try and decipher this shit ahead of time.

Also, about being 200 years older, it seems like a silly thing to lie about, since nobody really bats and eye about it when it's said, or spends a bunch of time/energy analyzing the fact.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Sep 1st, 2011 @ 8:18pm

Rewatched the latest episode. I wouldn't completely rule out The Doctor doing a time-skip, or having another Doctor slide into his place at that point. I don't think it has anything to do with Lake Silencio though, since this Doctor knows nothing about it yet. What I did find as the most striking evidence in favor this was another Doctor was that after the suit-change, he starts quoting rules to River. He's never really done that before, and in the past it's usually River who counts off the rules of dealing with the Doctor, and the Doctor is like "pffft whatever."
kenzo

Postby EllieChaos » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 6:30pm

I don't try and figure out the twists in the show before they happen, let's me be even more surprised when the twist is revealed.

Anyone else think there was an insinuation that Hilter was gay with the whole "Hitler in the closet" thing?? or am i just that lame??

Also, i'm so getting a "fish sticks and custard" tattoo. i need a tattoo that is in homage to the show, and that is random and weird enough
EllieChaos

Postby kenzo » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 10:13pm

EllieChaos wrote:Also, i'm so getting a "fish sticks and custard" tattoo. i need a tattoo that is in homage to the show, and that is random and weird enough
That sounds awful. If you're gonna go with a geek tatoo, it should at least be a little more identifiable/iconic like a Star Trek com-badge, or an Alliance insignia, or the blue Police Box. Fish fingers & custard wouldn't even look like anything.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 11:08pm

If you're going to get a Doctor Who tattoo it has to be something iconic. Like the TARDIS, sonic screwdriver, cyberman, dalek. Or you could just get giant David Tennant face covering your entire back.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Rodney » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 11:16pm

Just go with a red cross. I mean, he is a doctor.
Rodney

Postby kenzo » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 11:38pm

Mr_eX wrote:Or you could just get giant David Tennant face covering your entire back.
I think it would be cute to get an adipose tatoo'd on your love-handles.
kenzo

Postby Rebecca » Sep 3rd, 2011 @ 12:07pm

When will you guys see tonight's episode?
Rebecca

Postby Lopsidedown » Sep 3rd, 2011 @ 12:11pm

Finished airing 10 minutes ago, and will finish downloading in 8min.
So... soon?
Lopsidedown

Postby Rebecca » Sep 3rd, 2011 @ 2:32pm

What did you think of it then? (I'll use spoilers just in case!)
Spoiler: show
I thought those doll things were flipping scary, reminded me of when I first watched the weeping angels episode. I couldn't help thinking of Fear Her though, I think it was just the use of a little kid..
Rebecca

Postby kenzo » Sep 3rd, 2011 @ 6:09pm

This episode wasn't scary at all, and honestly was just kind of annoying. The scene of family bonding at the end was touching, but the rest of the episode was nonsense. Easily the worst Doctor Who episode in the past few years. The next one looks much more interesting however.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Sep 3rd, 2011 @ 8:18pm

So Let's Kill Hitler is the last time we'll see River Song, according to the logic Doctor Who has put forward with regard to the strange temporal relationship The Doctor and River share. Although than again I suppose this is Doctor Who so thinking that it will follow it's own logic is fairly silly and self-deceptive itself given previous history.

This is under the assumption that the writers continue down their temporally dyssynchronous relationship, which given the current events seems to be the case. This is different than say Melanie Bush who was a companion of the 6th and 7th Doctor who also was not temporarlly synchonised with The Doctor but she gradually did become synchronised over time. So far this has yet to occur with River Song and well pardon the pun but time has pretty much ran out in terms of their meetings seeing as he just witnessed her current incarnation's origin.

Also what/who are The Question?
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby EllieChaos » Sep 3rd, 2011 @ 9:46pm

Mr_eX wrote:If you're going to get a Doctor Who tattoo it has to be something iconic. Like the TARDIS, sonic screwdriver, cyberman, dalek. Or you could just get giant David Tennant face covering your entire back.

i'm just gonna get the words... possibly on my forearm, i'd do it on my back but my upper back already has tattoos taking up the prime space
EllieChaos

Postby Konanda » Sep 3rd, 2011 @ 10:27pm

kenzo wrote:
EllieChaos wrote:Also, i'm so getting a "fish sticks and custard" tattoo. i need a tattoo that is in homage to the show, and that is random and weird enough
That sounds awful. If you're gonna go with a geek tatoo, it should at least be a little more identifiable/iconic like a Star Trek com-badge, or an Alliance insignia, or the blue Police Box. Fish fingers & custard wouldn't even look like anything.

I'm just going to guess but the reason may be because she wants a tattoo that so called real fans would get instead of people that are acutely aware of pop culture or the show, who instead will just think it's some random thing that is just of signifiance to her. Am I correct?
Konanda

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 3rd, 2011 @ 11:19pm

EllieChaos wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:If you're going to get a Doctor Who tattoo it has to be something iconic. Like the TARDIS, sonic screwdriver, cyberman, dalek. Or you could just get giant David Tennant face covering your entire back.

i'm just gonna get the words... possibly on my forearm, i'd do it on my back but my upper back already has tattoos taking up the prime space

Just remember it's "Fish Fingers and Custard" not fish sticks.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Sep 4th, 2011 @ 3:17am

Konanda wrote:So Let's Kill Hitler is the last time we'll see River Song, according to the logic Doctor Who has put forward with regard to the strange temporal relationship The Doctor and River share.
You make it sound like they have to see each other in rigid reverse order, when it's really just an expression showing how their personal times are out of synch, or a trend. Obviously that isn't going to be the case, since this rule has already been broken several times (such as a nebulous, older, future-Doctor giving River taking her out on a romantic date and giving her his sonic screwdriver to save her life right before the end).

Konanda wrote:Also what/who are The Question?
It's pretty obviously "42."
kenzo

Postby Govir » Sep 4th, 2011 @ 4:10am

Konanda wrote:So Let's Kill Hitler is the last time we'll see River Song, according to the logic Doctor Who has put forward with regard to the strange temporal relationship The Doctor and River share.

To expand on what kenzo said, we know that this isn't the last time River and the Doctor see each other because she was just given the blank Diary which is eventually filled with all of River's and the Doctor's adventures / dates. Whether any of this will be shown has yet to be seen.
Govir

Postby EllieChaos » Sep 4th, 2011 @ 8:33am

Konanda wrote:I'm just going to guess but the reason may be because she wants a tattoo that so called real fans would get instead of people that are acutely aware of pop culture or the show, who instead will just think it's some random thing that is just of signifiance to her. Am I correct?

Yes you are correct! I have plenty of friends who know what Dr. Who is and who have watched some of it, but very few of them are true Whovians

Mr_eX wrote:
Just remember it's "Fish Fingers and Custard" not fish sticks.

yep, the American in me took over, lol.
EllieChaos

Postby EllieChaos » Sep 4th, 2011 @ 9:15am

So.... UberGeek just put all the episodes from 2005 to present onto my 13 year old sisters laptop.... this could be either really good or really bad
EllieChaos

Postby Konanda » Sep 4th, 2011 @ 12:13pm

kenzo wrote:
You make it sound like they have to see each other in rigid reverse order, when it's really just an expression showing how their personal times are out of synch, or a trend. Obviously that isn't going to be the case, since this rule has already been broken several times (such as a nebulous, older, future-Doctor giving River taking her out on a romantic date and giving her his sonic screwdriver to save her life right before the end).

I say that because in the episodes they have showed her and from what the characters have said their temporal relationship is completely polar opposites.

Like I said in previous Doctor Who they have had two temporally asynchronous companions before one, which synchronized after 3 episodes and the other well she was so temporally screwed up just in general due to a bunch of weird reality bending paradoxes that there isn't really a pattern to it.

River on the other hand has not synchronised at all and aside from a couple times that the Doctor has met her from farther in the timestream each meeting on screen has been further and further behind in her timeline and further and further ahead in his. Couple this with the fact that River herself stated in Impossible Astronaut that her and The Doctor are meeting each other in reverse order and that every time she met him he knew her less and she feared the day when she met a Doctor who did not know her.

Like I said though expecting Doctor Who to always follow it's own logic is naive.

kenzo wrote:
Konanda wrote:Also what/who are The Question?
It's pretty obviously "42."

Nice joke.

As for The Question I'm not talking about the oldest question that the Silence fears I'm specifically referring to when the Teselecta stated that the movement known as The Silence is an Academy of The Question. This implies The Question is some kind of organisation, although I suppose it could also be said that they merely meant that The Silence is devoted to studying The Question. Using of is what has me confused because it's too vague and could mean they are studying about The Question or they are a place/group of learning that is part of some organisation called The Question.
Konanda

Postby uppi17 » Sep 5th, 2011 @ 1:02am

I thought that was a good episode, although it was ruined by them making out that the bulldog was an angry dog that would bite loads of people when it obviously wasn't. Also I felt it ended a bit too quickly.

However, not the worst episode of New Who, not by a long way.
uppi17

Postby kenzo » Sep 5th, 2011 @ 3:44am

I'd also like to point out to Konanda, that River Song will be making an appearance during the finale, according to the actors and producers of the show.
kenzo

Postby Konanda » Sep 5th, 2011 @ 6:29am

kenzo wrote:I'd also like to point out to Konanda, that River Song will be making an appearance during the finale, according to the actors and producers of the show.

Konanda wrote:Like I said though expecting Doctor Who to always follow it's own logic is naive.
Konanda

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics