Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby achickenchaser » Jul 20th, 2012 @ 8:33pm

The ending was so predictable I could have walked out of the movie five minutes early and known exactly what was gonna happen.

This is the weakest of the three films, but still good.
achickenchaser

Postby dakazu » Jul 20th, 2012 @ 8:43pm

Really liked it.
dakazu

Postby trippingmartian » Jul 20th, 2012 @ 9:09pm

If the pacing in TDK was a mis-step from Begins, then DKR stumbles even further off the path of cohesiveness. Go back and watch Begins. It's a way tighter narrative compared to this or TDK.

Remember the setpieces or iconic moments in the previous films? The ice fight with Ducard, Bruce's intended assassination of Joe Chill, the Wayne manor confrontation, the bank heist, the pencil trick, skyhooking Lau, the convincing "murder" of Jim Gordon by Joker in disguise, Joker bombing a hospital, the transport truck flipping over, etc. The fight scenes in DKR were great, but I wasn't really invested in a lot of the grander action scenes, with one notable exception: Batman's chase/getaway after the stock exchange heist. That scene desperately needs a "Fuck Tha Police" remix.

Spoiler: show
The Talia reveal didn't have the "oomph" that it was meant to, but that's pretty much par for the course with these tired tropes. And when Bane decided to kill Bats even after Talia didn't want him to, it made the reveal seem all the more arbitrary, like Bane and Talia had no real connection, despite all the back story and league of shadows baggage.

Bane was kind of a lame villain with no real character or memorable lines. I could barely make out a word he said, and the voice really didn't suit the character (even if that was Hardy's actual voice). The voice also seemed to change quite a bit from the airplane prologue through the rest of the film.

Catwoman was much better than I anticipated. That bit where she breaks dude's hands in the prison. :lol: I liked the fact that she didn't arbitrarily hold back from killing motherfuckers just because she wants the Batman dick.

When the entire football field caves in, I'm more amused than invested in the fates of the faceless, nameless, Gothamites.

I didn't really get caught up in the drama of Bruce Wayne. It felt like we'd already seen every side to his character and that a lot of his trials were retreads of things we'd already seen (done better) in Begins or TDK.

Also, how is the prison meant to be Batman's personal hell? Seemed more like a fitness resort, no?
trippingmartian

Postby kevinep3 » Jul 20th, 2012 @ 9:48pm

i see a bunch of nerds saying how the end and some of the reveals were predictable, you do realize the majority of people who go to see this arent nerds and wont figure stuff out.
yeah i pretty much knew she was talia, but the people i went with didnt and they were suprised. everyone wanted there to be something making JGL robin, and they did it even though i dont like the way they did
but all in all i would say better than first and i though it was pretty close to the second
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 20th, 2012 @ 10:31pm

You people are terrible.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby trippingmartian » Jul 20th, 2012 @ 11:27pm

I don't mind long movies, but this film is just flabby, directionless.and plays fast and loose with time. 5 months pass, and we know this because it begins snowing all of a sudden.

The bumbling police force is sort of aggravating as well. What happened to the GCPD we came to know in Gotham Central? I'm all for making police look like shitheads, but it's a bit of a contrivance to have them all walk single file into a trap. And their Gangs of New York-style fight with Bane's thugs? Why didn't any of the cops use their sidearms?

What is with Alfred pussying off all of a sudden for no good reason? And would Batman of the comics quit crime fighting because his childhood friend died? Didn't he start fighting crime because he lost loved ones? It doesn't make any rational sense.

I might go see it again, just to be fair to such an ambitious work, but my first impression is that it's a slightly above average comic movie that doesn't satisfyingly pay off anything that is set up in the prior two films.
trippingmartian

Postby flufflogic » Jul 21st, 2012 @ 7:14am

Last edited by flufflogic on Jul 22nd, 2012 @ 10:42am, edited 1 time in total.
flufflogic

Postby darfox8 » Jul 21st, 2012 @ 9:14am

I'm fine with you guys not liking this movie that much. It's not perfect, although I like it alot. But what bothers me is people saying that Batman Begins is better. I think that's crazy. Im gonna break down everything about Batman Begins that I dislike, and this is from memory after watching that movie like 8 times. I still really like it but it is super disjointed and uneven with it's tone.

-It starts with child actors. They aren't the worst child actors but they're child actors.
-Mommy Wayne is completely marginalized. She seems like a bimbo trophy wife.
-Shaky Cam fights.
-When Katie Holms slaps Bruce after he shows her his gun, the passage of time gets very confusing.
---It shows him at a harbor and he throws the gun away
---Then he's back at Falconi's club and it's very unclear if this is the chronological order of the scenes. Later it's confirmed that it is when they search him with no gun.
-Nothing about how he got a broad and contacted Alfred to get back is explained. I don't mind this but people mind it in TDKR.
-Gotham looks poopy with the added CGI. The train system and the Narrows look way out of place with the real shots of Gotham. TDK and TDKR don't have that. The train system is still there in TDK but they just downplay it big time.
-The scene at the docks when Batman first appears was dope but very confusing.
---He pulls the guy into the shipping container but somehow ends up above the other guys.
---Falconi goes to see what's up but gets scared for some reason. He should of seen a guy in a rubber suit fighting thugs but apparently he too saw some shaky cam mayhem.
---When he gets back to the limo the driver is knocked out. Was he out all along and Falconi didn't notice? Or did Batman manage that when was fighting the thugs?
---After he headbutts Falconi he tells the Hobo "Nice coat". A call back to the previous scene but WTF was a hobo doing at the docks being ran by the mob. Why didn't he shit his pants and run away scared when he heard all the gun fire and screams. He was right next the mayhem but he still hung around for a nice joke for the audience.
-When Scarecrow gasses him in the Narrows more unnecessary jokes, "You need to lighten up" before he sets him ablaze.
---Batman flees to a rooftop and calls Alfred. Some how Alfred gets on the rooftop and gets him down into the car... with nobody noticing.
-During the Batmobile car chase is the biggest offender of too many unnecessary jokes. One or two of these jokes would of added great levity to the scene but they over did it.
---First Gordon saying, "I've got to get me one of those."
---The officers dumbfounded by the Batmobile.
---The Batmobile backing up in a Compact parking space.
---The officers saying "Just tell me what it looks like." then nevermind when he sees it drive by.
---The security booth guy who just looks down at his coffee.
-During Bruce's party scene the women introduced him to a Ra's Al Ghul. I thought that scene was pretty damn cool but what happens afterwards was weird and goofy. If you keep paying attention to the women after Liam Neeson starts talking she just awkwardly moves off frame as if she knew her scene was done. She even puts on a weird face of "Welp... this is awkward." I guess she walks off with the fake Ra's Al Ghul in the next shot but it's super awkward.
-Forced catchphrase call backs when Alfred uses the "Why do we fall?" bit and then immediately using "You haven't given up on me yet?-Never!"
-When the Narrows get gassed the little kid with Katie Holmes for some reason doesn't freak out. Normally you treat almost everything as hostile when your gassed but he's ok with hanging out with this girl.
-More shaky cam fights!
-More jokes, Gordon ask how he can help and Batman ask, "Can you drive stick?"
-The needless catchphrase that reveals his identity to Katie Holmes.
-He gets on the train. And moar shaky cam fights.
-He takes the same thing Ra's said to him and flips it on him, "You never did learn how to mind your surroundings!" but that's silly and makes no sense. Nice burn Batman.
-N'gai Croal makes a weird cameo and says, "Nice ride." when Gordon is trying to shoot the support.
-Batman leaves Ra's to die. That's the same as killing him you poopy head.
-Kinda meh sentimentality with Kaite Holmes and Bruce while they where looking through the rubble.
-And then the ending which was pretty good.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby trippingmartian » Jul 21st, 2012 @ 11:34am

trippingmartian

Postby darfox8 » Jul 21st, 2012 @ 1:27pm

???? I did Chewbacca argument??? Or you did???? I don't understand.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby Fallen_Angel » Jul 22nd, 2012 @ 2:27pm

I thoroughly enjoyed it despite its faults.

As someone said in an earlier post I couldn't really recall any grand moments compared to the 2 previous movies but that's fine. A few did stand out though ...

Bane breaking Batman, The Bat's introduction against the GCPD, the moment those explosives went off across the city

I personally adored Tom Hardy as Bane, yes he didn't have that ability to immediately grab your attention that Heath did as Joker but he had presence and was more than intimidating. As for the voice, he was a bit hard to understand at times but that didn't stop it from being majestic, it was different, unusual. It showed that he wasn't just some brute but also very calculated. Catwoman was pretty enjoyable to watch too but some of her lines were *really* unnecessary. They kept taking me out of the movie. And I actually blurted out 'seriously?!' in the cinema when her and Batman kissed while a freaking atom bomb was about to go off at the end. JGL was good, I liked having a character who wasn't a direct part of Bruce Wayne's world who saw the bigger picture. The whole Robin thing though? :?

My problems...
the strange timeline, Bane defeating Batman, seemingly travelling around the world, dumping him then getting back to Gotham to wreak havoc. How did he do this so quickly? Same goes for Bruce after he escapes The Pit. Furthermore, who told him exactly when the bomb would go off? (maybe I missed it earlier?) Talia .. I knew beforehand that she could possibly be in this movie but they should've revealed her way sooner to better flesh out the character. Either that or they should've stuck with Bane being the main baddie because truthfully speaking he became a complete sideshow after that reveal and even worse went out like a punk. Way too easily after all they'd done building him up

and perhaps my biggest problem...
[Spoiler]every major character finding out the Batman's true identity. Trilogy or not, seriously? And even though I mentioned how I liked that he saw the bigger picture, Blake's story about how he found out was a bit uncertain, like not clearly explained. Selina finding out was kind of cool in its casual nature with Bane's 'Mr. Wayne'. That said, I would've settled for just Gordon finding out because it was done on Bruce's terms, it was a truly beautiful moment between 2 people who've been through so much together. An extremely touching scene

I'll add more things as they come to mind but all in all, TDK was the pinnacle of the trilogy. Each actor brought their A game in that not just Heath Ledger. TDKR is fantastic and I loved the connections to the first movie but it's more a case of directional inconsistency that leave it a bit wanting. Still far and beyond one of the best movies I've seen in a while though.
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby Starwats » Jul 22nd, 2012 @ 8:47pm

I liked it a lot a lot, but here are my gripes
    I couldn't understand the bane at times. someone tell that asshole to stop speaking with his mouth full of wire shit. his first lines in the plane were perfectly clear, Idk what happened after that.
    The Bane wasn't nearly as scary as the joker, or two-face
    Talia's reveal didn't feel right. I don't know
    The only blood in the movie was a tiny scratch on Bruce Wane's face when they threw him in a fuckking vat. I'm not a big fan of gore or anything, but seriously, when you get stabbed or shot by a bycicle or get punched in the face for 5 minutes, I think it would make sense to see blood.
    No fuckin way did batman get out of a 6 mile blast radius in 5 goddamn seconds. That shit is chicken shit bull shit.
LiQuid wrote:I think secretly kenzo gets even madder about Dota than even Dakazu.

No trading.
Starwats

Postby kenzo » Jul 22nd, 2012 @ 10:28pm

I have a bunch of thoughts on this film, and a lot of rebuttles to what people have said so far. But for while - while I try to stop hyperventilating - I'll just sum up my impressions of this film:

The Dark Knight Rises was the Metal Gear Solid 4 of Batman.
kenzo

Postby SerpentineZERO » Jul 23rd, 2012 @ 12:28am

...is that a good thing? I think I've seen you say you liked it, so I'll go with that.
SerpentineZERO

Postby kenzo » Jul 23rd, 2012 @ 12:47am

It's objectively both a good and a bad thing in different ways. But me, being the person I am, it's a fantastic thing. I want to elaborate on that some more, because the more I thought about that intentionally provocative statement, the more it actually made sense in my mind and I began drawing a bunch of parallels in my head. But because nobody (except maybe Darfox and Kevin) gives a shit about that, I'll refrain from doing so (for now).
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Jul 23rd, 2012 @ 1:25am

kenzo wrote:But because nobody (except maybe Darfox and Kevin) gives a shit about that, I'll refrain from doing so (for now).

Dark Knight Rises = Metal Gear Solid 4???? Hmmmmmmmmmm...................

Yep, you're right ;)
dakazu

Postby trippingmartian » Jul 23rd, 2012 @ 9:42am

Bane sounds like Deckard Cain at times. His all-over-the-map accent and ADR that mismatched his body language were way too distracting.
When we spoke with Christopher Nolan after he unveiled the six-minute prologue, the director indicated audience members will likely not understand anything Bane says.

"Probably not. He has the mask on, the apparatus, and he has the accent. It's a tough one. He's incredibly hard to understand. Of course, the whole movie doesn't take place on a plane...This insures that you'll go back and see the movie a couple of times in the theater."

Too shrewd...

The film also could have used more scenes of the Dark Knight in the...dark night.
trippingmartian

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jul 23rd, 2012 @ 12:16pm

trippingmartian wrote:Bane.... ADR that mismatched his body language were way too distracting..

Agreed. Because of the ADR, it never sounded like Bane's voice was actually coming from him. There was no direction to his voice; it was just omnipresent through the speakers. I didn't find it too distracting that I didn't enjoy the movie, but it was annoying.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Jul 23rd, 2012 @ 2:18pm

I like this movie. I like how Teal'c, Owen Harper, and Littlefinger where all in it.
Last edited by Guillermo_DudeL on Jul 23rd, 2012 @ 6:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Jul 23rd, 2012 @ 2:18pm

Master Higgins wrote:You people are terrible.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Jul 23rd, 2012 @ 2:20pm

kenzo wrote:The Dark Knight Rises was the Metal Gear Solid 4 of Batman.
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby trippingmartian » Jul 23rd, 2012 @ 10:42pm

So, it killed the franchise?
trippingmartian

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Jul 23rd, 2012 @ 10:48pm

Can't wait for Batman: Peace Walker.
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby Olympia » Jul 23rd, 2012 @ 11:52pm

kenzo wrote:I have a bunch of thoughts on this film, and a lot of rebuttles to what people have said so far. But for while - while I try to stop hyperventilating - I'll just sum up my impressions of this film:

The Dark Knight Rises was the Metal Gear Solid 4 of Batman.

let's hear your contrived and pedantic thoughts on that
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Jul 24th, 2012 @ 12:18am

*SHOTS FIRED*
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby kenzo » Jul 24th, 2012 @ 12:33am

Olympia wrote:let's hear your contrived and pedantic thoughts on that
Why would I open a dialog with someone who insults me right off the bat? And I agree with you too (I like the movie) - why you tryin' to pick a fight?

GiantAsianMan wrote:
trippingmartian wrote:Bane.... ADR that mismatched his body language were way too distracting..
Agreed. Because of the ADR, it never sounded like Bane's voice was actually coming from him. There was no direction to his voice; it was just omnipresent through the speakers. I didn't find it too distracting that I didn't enjoy the movie, but it was annoying.
I know a lot of people feel this way, but I liked Bane's voice - a lot. It sounded cruel, evil, animalistic, yet at the same time intelligent and calculating. It felt very appropriate for the character, all things considered. And there was never a point where I didn't understand what he was saying.

Master Higgins wrote:You people are terrible.
That asshole in Colorado is terrible. These people are merely opinionated.
kenzo

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Jul 24th, 2012 @ 12:45am

I too really liked Bane's voice. Hearing that weird accent with no direction put me off at first but it helped make him such a sinister villain. The fact that his voice doesn't match what you think a big burly guy would sound like and that it is always at the center of the audio helps make him seem like such an intimidating presence. That's what made him so great for me, he's not just a big strong guy, he's a force.

Also he clearly enjoyed himself when he got the chance to show off or make a speech and he never really got angry. I think that can be attributed to him being constantly high on painkillers.
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby slinkdickens » Jul 24th, 2012 @ 1:17am

I saw this as part of a "Batman Marathon" where all 3 movies were shown in an IMAX theater starting at 6 pm on the 19th. I say this because I saw DKR with the other 2 movies about as fresh in my mind as possible.

When watching it right after DK, especially the opening scene, the movie feels like a dud. It was only until I got some distance on the movie that I felt it was good. It's probably not a fair comparison, but the sense of danger and menace in DK casts a huge shadow over DKR. Also, DK's human drama around the losses that both Bruce and Harvey Dent suffer and how they both react is more compelling and feels more real than Bruce's depression in DKR.

That said...
The sense of despair is greater in DKR. Both Gotham and Bruce are straight up owned early in the film. I allowed myself to forget that this is a comic book movie and feel like there was no coming back from the defeat suffered early on.

I also really liked the ending. It ties a nice bow on the three movies, It basically says that Bruce Wayne is retired, but Batman (or someone borrowing his stuff) can continue if someone is willing to take up the challenge. The three movies as a whole create an arc for Bruce as he becomes Batman, hits his peak as Batman, and then retires.

I'm not one to get too hung up on plot holes in a comic book movie but...
Can anyone tell me why in the hell did Bane not just blow up the bomb from the get go? What's with waiting for 5 months? Maybe there was a single line somewhere that I missed, but it definitely isn't explained well in the movie at all.
slinkdickens

Postby slinkdickens » Jul 24th, 2012 @ 1:23am

Starwats wrote:I liked it a lot a lot, but here are my gripes
No fuckin way did batman get out of a 6 mile blast radius in 5 goddamn seconds. That shit is chicken shit bull shit.

Go see it again. You can see make out a blue-red streak that I think is supposed to be Superman in that scene. (Oh, mah bad, forgot the spoiler tag)
slinkdickens

Postby kenzo » Jul 24th, 2012 @ 1:30am

Yep. And while a lot of people thought it was weird and out of place that his voice felt disembodied, I think that was a very intentional stylistic choice. It's supposed to be off-putting, it's supposed to be loud and distracting. Bane is a man that commands men, demands loyalty, and inspires devotion - his voice should be representative of that, and I think DKR did a great job of portraying that.

slinkdickens wrote:
Can anyone tell me why in the hell did Bane not just blow up the bomb from the get go? What's with waiting for 5 months? Maybe there was a single line somewhere that I missed, but it definitely isn't explained well in the movie at all.
The whole purpose of the League of Shadows isn't just to destroy Gotham, but to use the destruction of the corrupt city to inspire the world and bring it "back to harmony". If you just set a bomb off with nobody knowing what happened, then you don't really send a message, you just send senseless carnage. It's the same theatrics and smoke screens the League of Shadows enjoys employing, but on a massive scale - with the whole world watching. Ra's al Ghul wanted the world to watch Gotham tear itself apart from fear - Bane wants the same thing. Only, he just employed a different, far more slow and dramatic method.
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics