Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: The Avengers

Postby kenzo » May 14th, 2012 @ 3:46pm

In short: people fight for reasons other than rivalry. To assume any given fight is due to a rivalry, or depicts a rivalry is retarded - especially when there's no reason given to assume such a rivalry.

Don't like Hulk vs Black Widow as an example? Fine. Let's talk Black Widow vs Hawkeye. They fight. But is it because they're rivals? Nope. It's because one is brain-washed. In reality, they're partners, BFFs, and kinda have feelings for each other. We know this because of their interactions and the dialog between the two (or between other characters about the two). By contrast, we have nothing about Thor vs Hulk.

Edit: Physical rivalry? So you're conceding there's nothing meaningful between the two? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kenzo

Postby Olympia » May 14th, 2012 @ 3:53pm

Hulk vs. Black Widow was a retarded example in the first place, like I was saying the whole time. Thank you for finally acknowledging that.

Physical rivalry does not imply that there is something un-meaningful about it. It may be a thematically significant rivalry, by nature it's still a physical rivalry.

Furthermore, just because a fight scene is called on by the plot does not mean it doesn't serve a dual purpose as character development.
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia

Postby kenzo » May 14th, 2012 @ 3:56pm

Olympia wrote:Sorry, but that still doesn't properly compare to an actual fight scene between Hulk and Thor, which is a completely physical rivalry.
I want to harp on this point a bit more before I log off for the day. Jesus fucking Christ. You do realize that comparisons aren't done just for the sake of showing how similar something is, right? Comparisons include both comparing and contrasting. Things don't have to be a 1:1 analog in order for a comparison to be made. In fact, a lot of comparisons are meaningful for pointing out the differences as well as the similarities.

In this specifically, I'm talking about the motivations for why Hulk is trying to fight someone. In both cases, it's blind rage (as evidenced by how easily he gets distracted), not because of any meaningful feelings for the individuals he's trying to wail on. How the other person reacts to it (fighting back versus running away) isn't meaningful to the comparison or the point I'm trying to make, and focusing on it just proves how fucking retarded you are and how vapid your arguments against the body of what I'm trying to say are - that, or how big of a troll you're being.
kenzo

Postby Olympia » May 14th, 2012 @ 4:00pm

I understand that, but you're talking about the nature of a rivalry, which is why bringing up the Black Widow and Hulk scene is retarded. A character running away from another character could not be considered a rivalry in any sense, so it's pointless to bring it up.

Hulk was obviously fighting without purpose, but it develops into something that can be reasonably considered a rivalry when he fights someone who is notably able to smash him in the face. Especially since the fight didn't conclude with an obvious winner. It's really that simple.

It's like I'm explaining something to a 12 year old
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia

Postby kenzo » May 14th, 2012 @ 4:17pm

I'm saying that's not meaningful because Hulk's rage isn't directed. Anyone could have stood in for Thor and it wouldn't have mattered to the Hulk. Had the Hulk ignored other threats to continue fighting Thor, then maybe. But at it was, there's nothing special about that fight. Hulk fought Thor simply because he was there. To demonstrate that they're evenly matched physically doesn't say anything about their characters - how they think, how they feel, their opinions, how they interact with others, etc.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Thor vs the Hulk is supposed to symbolize order vs chaos, and the two bicker all the time about issues/how to confront problems. That's actual character development and demonstrates an actual rivalry based on an incompatibility of personalities. Where as, fighting a lil bit for no reason is pretty hollow by contrast. Thor vs Hulk is a classic match up, and the symbolism is there, but to an audience member unfamiliar with the franchise, this concept wasn't significantly developed to be able to understand that (where as at least Tony Stark and Cap traded words enough to show how they've got different perspectives and opinions - not enough for me, but it's at least there versus the almost zero interaction Thor has with the Hulk).

Edit: And seriously, I mean nothing. Thor doesn't even get off a "I don't want to fight you!" line or something to show that he's all level-headed and for peace and order. He doesn't exhibit a single hint at being frustrated with the Hulk, or disdain for the Hulk, or a level of remorse or regret for having to fight the guy. He just shows up, wails on the guy, and then goes on his way once the Hulk gets distracted. It's the second most meaningless fight in the movie next to the Thor/Iron Man fight in the woods (which actually had more exposition and meaningful character interaction than this fight, but served less purpose and all it did was make the characters involved look like massive idiots).

Double Edit: To a 12 year old? Says the person who doesn't understand what a "comparison" is.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » May 14th, 2012 @ 4:27pm

Olympia wrote:A character running away from another character could not be considered a rivalry in any sense
I guess this isn't a rivalry, huh?

Spoiler: show
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kenzo

Postby Olympia » May 14th, 2012 @ 4:32pm

I'm saying that's not meaningful because Hulk's rage isn't directed. Anyone could have stood in for Thor and it wouldn't have mattered to the Hulk. Had the Hulk ignored other threats to continue fighting Thor, then maybe. But at it was, there's nothing special about that fight. Hulk fought Thor simply because he was there. To demonstrate that they're evenly matched physically doesn't say anything about their characters - how they think, how they feel, their opinions, how they interact with others, etc.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Thor vs the Hulk is supposed to symbolize order vs chaos, and the two bicker all the time about issues/how to confront problems. That's actual character development and demonstrates an actual rivalry based on an incompatibility of personalities. Where as, fighting a lil bit for no reason is pretty hollow by contrast. Thor vs Hulk is a classic match up, and the symbolism is there, but to an audience member unfamiliar with the franchise, this concept wasn't significantly developed to be able to understand that (where as at least Tony Stark and Cap traded words enough to show how they've got different perspectives and opinions - not enough for me, but it's at least there versus the almost zero interaction Thor has with the Hulk).

That significance can manifest itself in multiple ways outside of "bickering" or dialogue. For example, Thor was fighting with purpose, to defend the Helicarrier and to stop Hulk, while Hulk was fighting with none. How does that not directly thematically point to order vs. chaos?

Edit: And seriously, I mean nothing. Thor doesn't even get off a "I don't want to fight you!" line or something to show that he's all level-headed and for peace and order.

This is incorrect. Thor does say something to the extent of "Hulk, we don't want to fight you, we are your friends." as he's holding off Hulk's first blow. I would know because I saw the movie last night. Your recollection of the movie is obviously flawed.
Last edited by Olympia on May 14th, 2012 @ 4:59pm, edited 2 times in total.
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia

Postby Olympia » May 14th, 2012 @ 4:36pm

By definition Zenigata is not Lupin's rival anyway. He's an adversary. Lupin's rival could arguably be Fujiko.

Competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field.

I thought you knew all about Lupin III, too.

I would consider you my rival, but at this point it's just like I'm Tank Abbott stomping on a baby.
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia

Postby LiQuid » May 15th, 2012 @ 1:12am

Olympia wrote:By definition Zenigata is not Lupin's rival anyway. He's an adversary. Lupin's rival could arguably be Fujiko.

Competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field.

I thought you knew all about Lupin III, too.

I would consider you my rival, but at this point it's just like I'm Tank Abbott stomping on a baby.

This is all true.

You guys should really stop talking to each other.
LiQuid

Postby Olympia » May 15th, 2012 @ 5:31pm

-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia

Postby Konanda » May 15th, 2012 @ 6:12pm

Saw this on Monday was a very enjoyable and fun movie.

flufflogic wrote:Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle has special showings for parents with babies. Which is how it should be done.

Apparently, it's the smallest second week drop-off of any film ever, and has passed a billion worldwide already.

You're in Geordieland? I thought you were in North Yorkshire.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby flufflogic » May 16th, 2012 @ 2:17am

I was in Newcastle/Co. Durham for years (2002-2011), but now I'm back in West Yorkshire, and the Tyneside was my favourite thing about the place. Such an amazing indie cinema.
flufflogic

Postby IMLabman » May 21st, 2012 @ 11:07pm

Awesome doesn't even begin to describe this movie! My favourite parts...

besides the Hulk's "I'm always angry!", punching Thor, and rag-dolling Loki parts...has to be the 'mewling quim' comment by Loki towards Black Widow, and Thor saying Loki was adopted. BTW, "Mewling Quim" would be an awesome name for an indie band!
Last edited by IMLabman on May 22nd, 2012 @ 7:24am, edited 1 time in total.
IMLabman

Postby flufflogic » May 22nd, 2012 @ 1:55am

Finally off to see this tonight. For my anniversary.
flufflogic

Postby Master Higgins » May 22nd, 2012 @ 12:58pm

IMLabman wrote:Awesome doesn't even begin to describe this movie! My favourite parts...

besides the Hulk's "I'm always angry!", punching Thor, and rag-dolling Loki parts...has to be the 'mewling quim' comment by Loki towards Black Widow, and Thor saying Loki was adopted. BTW, "Mewling Quim" would be an awesome name for an indie band!

http://www.mewlingquim.com
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby flufflogic » May 22nd, 2012 @ 11:56pm

Yeah, I did double take when I heard that. But whole scene between him and Widow is AMAZING. Really strong acting for a simple face off.

That is an amazing, amazing movie. Seriously impressed with where it looks like they're going from here, and that they finally got Hulk right. Just hope they can tap King of Geeks to oversee all the rest of the Hulk stuff, as they've never got even close in the past.
flufflogic

Postby IMLabman » May 23rd, 2012 @ 8:06pm

Master Higgins wrote:
IMLabman wrote:Awesome doesn't even begin to describe this movie! My favourite parts...

http://www.mewlingquim.com

Damn, that URL got snatched up quick!
IMLabman

Postby Olympia » May 31st, 2012 @ 12:22am

slashfilm posted new details about IM3 today, including the confirmation of a major character/villain

http://www.slashfilm.com/spy-photos-confirm-major-iron-man-3-spoiler/#more-128424

just a reminder that the movie is being directed by shane black, who wrote "The Last Boy Scout"
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia

Postby Fade2Black » Jun 1st, 2012 @ 2:00am

Fade2Black

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 1st, 2012 @ 10:14am

Eh. Those used to be funny, but they've just become super in-jokey.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby flufflogic » Jun 1st, 2012 @ 10:16am

So, what's the betting on DKR getting anywhere near this in the box office? I'm thinking that the rating will hold it back, as will Bane (sadly, not as recognisable as Joker).
flufflogic

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jun 1st, 2012 @ 10:26am

flufflogic wrote:So, what's the betting on DKR getting anywhere near this in the box office? I'm thinking that the rating will hold it back, as will Bane (sadly, not as recognisable as Joker).

If I had to bet, I'd say that Dark Knight Rises has a chance to top Avengers in opening weekend numbers, but not in the overall box office take.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Olympia » Jun 2nd, 2012 @ 9:21am

Master Higgins wrote:Eh. Those used to be funny, but they've just become super in-jokey.

that's just plain not true. They were never funny
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia

Postby Fade2Black » Jun 2nd, 2012 @ 3:22pm

Master Higgins wrote:Eh. Those used to be funny, but they've just become super in-jokey.

I'm just late to the party.
Of the eighty-something videos in the series, this was only the third How it Should Have Ended short I've ever watched.
I can see how the novelty of them would get stale over time.
Fade2Black

Postby Lopsidedown » Jun 3rd, 2012 @ 12:49am

Olympia wrote:slashfilm posted new details about IM3 today, including the confirmation of a major character/villain
just a reminder that the movie is being directed by shane black, who wrote "The Last Boy Scout"

Let's not forget that he's writer/director of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Another RDJ masterpiece.
Lopsidedown

Postby flufflogic » Jun 3rd, 2012 @ 3:38pm

The suitcase that Fury puts the Tesseract in, it seems - so, I assume the discs are IN the Tesseract.
flufflogic

Postby Olympia » Jun 6th, 2012 @ 5:41pm

According to Latino review, black panther is the next marvel property to be made into a marvel studios movie
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia

Postby flufflogic » Jun 14th, 2012 @ 5:52am

SPAMBOT TYPE VAGUELY HUMAN THING MAKE PRODUCT SALE BETTER!
flufflogic

Postby flufflogic » Jun 27th, 2012 @ 6:46am

Why is this thread spambot bait?
flufflogic

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics