Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: The Avengers

Postby Olympia » May 10th, 2012 @ 7:02pm

Image
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia
User avatar
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Aug 26th, 2010 @ 3:18am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: The Avengers

Postby flufflogic » May 11th, 2012 @ 3:24am

It's worrying that the best version of this right now is a Greek cam... Positive for Marvel, though, as not a single TS or Screener is out there, which is impressive for a film like this. Typically they'd be everywhere by now.
flufflogic
User avatar
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010 @ 6:26am
Location: The Northern Wastes of England

Re: The Avengers

Postby kenzo » May 11th, 2012 @ 6:14am

Filthy pirate. Also, TSes are just cams you know...
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Avengers

Postby LiQuid » May 11th, 2012 @ 7:16am

Seriously, how can anybody even fucking watch shitty cam versions of movies? The only cam version of a movie I ever watched start to finish was a copy of Road Trip that one of my brother's moronic, stoner friends actually paid money for. It was burned onto a disc and came in a case with some awful photocopied box art and everything. It was one of the most hilariously retarded things I've ever seen in my life. The bootleg, not the movie. The movie was just depressingly retarded.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Avengers

Postby MrDrifter » May 11th, 2012 @ 12:28pm

Just some cool concept art from the film :)

Image

Image
Prepare for trouble...
MrDrifter
User avatar
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Nov 20th, 2009 @ 10:39pm
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: The Avengers

Postby kenzo » May 11th, 2012 @ 3:06pm

Cool artwork from - coincidentally - one of the most retarded scenes of the film.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Avengers

Postby flufflogic » May 12th, 2012 @ 8:39am

Yeah, I'm not pirating it (seriously want to see it in a cinema) but I follow the torrent scene heavily for movies so the kids can see films they want (as cinemas are no place for kids anymore; seriously, every one in my area's full of the biggest assholes on the planet) before I have to get them on DVD (or blu-ray these days...).
flufflogic
User avatar
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010 @ 6:26am
Location: The Northern Wastes of England

Re: The Avengers

Postby kenzo » May 13th, 2012 @ 12:04am

Saw this movie again. Just as fun and dumb as the first time. If anything this second viewing highlighted how pointless/retarded half of the film was.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Avengers

Postby flufflogic » May 13th, 2012 @ 1:38am

Hopefully it's dying out enough I can take the kids soon. Wonder if the National Media Museum IMAX has it?

EDIT: nope. Sadly, showing some arthouse stuff. Argh.
flufflogic
User avatar
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010 @ 6:26am
Location: The Northern Wastes of England

Re: The Avengers

Postby kenzo » May 13th, 2012 @ 8:43am

flufflogic wrote:Hopefully it's dying out enough I can take the kids soon. Wonder if the National Media Museum IMAX has it?

EDIT: nope. Sadly, showing some arthouse stuff. Argh.
Opening weekend was packed. Last night, it was still packed. Had crying babies at both showings. WTF is wrong with stupid fucking parents who bring babies to theaters?
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Avengers

Postby flufflogic » May 13th, 2012 @ 9:48am

Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle has special showings for parents with babies. Which is how it should be done.

Apparently, it's the smallest second week drop-off of any film ever, and has passed a billion worldwide already.
flufflogic
User avatar
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010 @ 6:26am
Location: The Northern Wastes of England

Re: The Avengers

Postby MrDrifter » May 14th, 2012 @ 8:51am

Whedon has been talking a ton about adding another female to the team for the sequel.... http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/05/10/the-avengers-sequel-should-another-female-join-the-superhero-squad/
Not sure who Id be interested in seeing more... Wasp, Ms. Marvel, Scarlett Witch... I think the loop whole with SW is as long as they have zero mention of the x-men... but can they even call her a mutant?
Anyways... Just random thoughts...
Prepare for trouble...
MrDrifter
User avatar
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Nov 20th, 2009 @ 10:39pm
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: The Avengers

Postby flufflogic » May 14th, 2012 @ 1:11pm

Wasp and Ant Man added in the next film, I hope. Heck, who knows - She-Hulk?
flufflogic
User avatar
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010 @ 6:26am
Location: The Northern Wastes of England

Re: The Avengers

Postby kenzo » May 14th, 2012 @ 1:27pm

I would actually like to see nobody new added to the next film. Seriously. This film had a hard enough time juggling and fleshing out the characters it had. Add in a ton more, and all you've got is a recipe for failure and a watered down cast. They haven't even begun to show the interesting potential for drama that's possible between the current characters - only small and subtle hints. Cap & Iron Man barely argue; the Hulk punches Thor once and that's the extent of that rivalry. Throw in a bunch of new characters, and suddenly you've got to devote some of the already limited amount of screen time to introducing and developing those characters, and it's just not necessary for making an interesting movie. If anything, it's antithetical.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Avengers

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 14th, 2012 @ 1:52pm

kenzo wrote:the Hulk punches Thor once and that's the extent of that rivalry.

So you're not counting the entire sequence where they fight and destroy the lower flight deck?
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan
User avatar
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 9:20pm
Location: West Chester, Ohio

Re: The Avengers

Postby kenzo » May 14th, 2012 @ 2:09pm

No, I'm not. Does the Hulk have a meaningful rivalry between Black Widow? Yet they "fight" for a while, right? Hulk and Thor don't even trade words while on the flying fortress. Thor fights the Hulk because of coincidence - and because the plot necessitates it. He's the only man for the job, really. Hulk doesn't fight Thor because Thor's holier-than-thou attitude gets on his nerves or because they're diametrically opposed from each other (order vs chaos). Hulk merely loses control and would have fought anything at the time (which is why he assaults Black Widow and why he's so easily distracted by that fighter jet). Had Thor spent the time lecturing Hulk, or pondering his value out loud, then maybe. Or even if the Hulk had acknowledged in any way shape or form that he was specifically fighting Thor and not just whatever was nearest to him. But it's just a dumb and pointless fight that the script demands exist (Loki sewing the seeds of distrust and what not for no reason).

I actually thought Hulk "fighting" Black Widow had more relevance to the plot because it demonstrates her one moment of weakness in the film (and really the only time what's-her-face does any real acting), and how hopelessly outclassed she is to fight those kinds of threats. She has a role on the team, but it's not to fight against those kinds of adversaries head-to-head. At least, that's how I saw everything.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Avengers

Postby Olympia » May 14th, 2012 @ 2:39pm

I don't think that the scene between Hulk and Black Widow was meant to be considered a fight. It was a chase.

Also lol at this

Had Thor spent the time lecturing Hulk, or pondering his value out loud, then maybe.


give me a fucking break

kenzo wrote:what kind of shitty heroes need the death of one (ultimately insignificant) guy to man up and fuckin' do their job as heroes to save the day? If this guy meant so much to these people that they'd need to "Avenge" his death, then why the fuck didn't they know the first thing about him like if he had a family


By "they", you mean just Captain America right? Because he was the only one who asked, and he was the only one fully dedicated to his job even before Coulson died.

after seeing the movie four times I'm thoroughly convinced that kenzo did not pay attention to it

disclamer: i did not pay for all four of those times
Last edited by Olympia on May 14th, 2012 @ 3:05pm, edited 3 times in total.
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia
User avatar
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Aug 26th, 2010 @ 3:18am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: The Avengers

Postby kenzo » May 14th, 2012 @ 2:48pm

Olympia wrote:I don't think that the scene between Hulk and Black Widow were meant to be considered a fight. It was a chase.
I'm seriously wondering if you know how to read. There's a reason why I kept using the word "fight" with quotations around it.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Avengers

Postby Olympia » May 14th, 2012 @ 2:50pm

kenzo wrote:No, I'm not. Does the Hulk have a meaningful rivalry between Black Widow? Yet they "fight" for a while, right?

I actually thought Hulk "fighting" Black Widow had more relevance to the plot because it demonstrates her one moment of weakness in the film (and really the only time what's-her-face does any real acting), and how hopelessly outclassed she is to fight those kinds of threats.


When you use "fight" in quotations, you're obviously implying that the scene was meant to be considered a fight, although it was not.

If it was clearly a chase, then why wouldn't you say so?

In any case, it's idiotic to compare the fight between Hulk and Thor to the "fight" (a chase) between Hulk and Black Widow to bolster your retarded argument.
Last edited by Olympia on May 14th, 2012 @ 3:01pm, edited 2 times in total.
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia
User avatar
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Aug 26th, 2010 @ 3:18am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: The Avengers

Postby kenzo » May 14th, 2012 @ 2:54pm

I did say so, you're just retarded apparently and can't read subtext.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Avengers

Postby Olympia » May 14th, 2012 @ 2:57pm

Actually, you didn't. At all.
Last edited by Olympia on May 14th, 2012 @ 2:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia
User avatar
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Aug 26th, 2010 @ 3:18am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: The Avengers

Postby kenzo » May 14th, 2012 @ 2:58pm

Olympia wrote:In any case, it's idiotic to compare the fight between Hulk and Thor to the "fight" (a chase) between Hulk and Black Widow.
I can't say one served a purpose for the sake of character development while the other one didn't? You're either an idiot or a troll. Either way: LULLLZZZZZZZZ.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Avengers

Postby Olympia » May 14th, 2012 @ 3:01pm

kenzo wrote:
Olympia wrote:In any case, it's idiotic to compare the fight between Hulk and Thor to the "fight" (a chase) between Hulk and Black Widow.
I can't say one served a purpose for the sake of character development while the other one didn't? You're either an idiot or a troll. Either way: LULLLZZZZZZZZ.


That wasn't what you were arguing.

Does the Hulk have a meaningful rivalry between Black Widow? Yet they "fight" for a while, right?


You're comparing the scenes to argue that Thor and Hulk barely had an established rivalry, which is wrong.

And talk about not understanding subtext, fucking lol:

"IF THOR HAD ONLY LINES TO EXPLAIN THE THEMATIC SIGNIFICANCE OF THEIR FIGHT, IT WOULD HAVE MADE THEIR RIVALRY MUCH BETTER!"
Last edited by Olympia on May 14th, 2012 @ 3:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia
User avatar
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Aug 26th, 2010 @ 3:18am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: The Avengers

Postby kenzo » May 14th, 2012 @ 3:08pm

What is the point of highlighting an unestablished rivalry? Oh yeah, to point out that there's little to no character development going on. Seriously, you need to go back to school to learn how to fucking read.

kenzo wrote:I would actually like to see nobody new added to the next film. Seriously. This film had a hard enough time juggling and fleshing out the characters it had.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Avengers

Postby Olympia » May 14th, 2012 @ 3:21pm

Wrong, kenzo, you're the illiterate dipshit this time:

kenzo wrote:No, I'm not. Does the Hulk have a meaningful rivalry between Black Widow? Yet they "fight" for a while, right? Hulk and Thor don't even trade words while on the flying fortress.


Here is where you adorably try to explain why the fight between Hulk and Thor is not a scene meant to establish rivalry simply because...

...the "fight" scene between the Black Widow and Hulk isn't?
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia
User avatar
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Aug 26th, 2010 @ 3:18am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: The Avengers

Postby kenzo » May 14th, 2012 @ 3:32pm

Olympia wrote:And talk about not understanding subtext, fucking lol:

"IF THOR HAD ONLY LINES TO EXPLAIN THE THEMATIC SIGNIFICANCE OF THEIR FIGHT, IT WOULD HAVE MADE THEIR RIVALRY MUCH BETTER!"
Their fight had no purpose, other than to give Thor something to do for that period of time. The Hulk was wrecking the ship up because it was demanded by the plot. If Thor had been the one to kick the Hulk off the ship, then maybe that fight would have had some purpose. But as it was, it was Nick Fury & the jet fighter that got the Hulk to leave eventually. Thor didn't do or say anything except fight Hulk. Dialog would have been nice. But even a moment or two to zoom in on his face to see a look of pure contempt or something would have been nice too (you know, like how we get a nice close-up shot of Black Widow establishing how she's visibly shaken by the whole ordeal vs the Hulk). Instead, the two just hit each other for no reason, with none of the fight used to develop their characters. Hulk isn't fighting Thor because he hates Thor, in that state he would have fought anyone - Captain America, Iron Man, whatever (thus the comparison to Black Widow - since he chased after her and tried to fight her for no reason establishing how blind his rage can be). But he only fought Thor because he was the only Avenger left with nothing better to do (Iron Man & Cap were fixing the turbine; Black Widow already had her shot and miserably failed; Hawkeye is a bad guy; Nick Fury is busy calling shots on the bridge) not because of a rivalry.

And yeah, you know dialog? That's nice once and a while. People don't have to spell out their intentions in plain language for the audience, but something would have been nice. Otherwise, why have dialog *ever* in a film? Let's just go back to silent films if nothing meaningful can be accomplished in dialog. But please, over exaggerate the issue and call me names for no reason - that's totally logical and lends weight to your arguments. But I digress.

Olympia wrote:Here is where you adorably try to explain why the fight between Hulk and Thor is not a scene meant to establish rivalry simply because... the "fight" scene between the Black Widow and Hulk isn't?
I guess I have to re-explain things in terms for a grade schooler so that you'll understand.

Just because two characters fight, that doesn't automatically mean they're rivals. For example, when the Hulk tries to fight Black Widow, it's not because they're rivals - he's just blinded with anger and rage. You can't automatically assume that The Hulk and Thor are rivals without first establishing, through some means, that they have a rivalry. And having them fight each other in that scene didn't establish that. It established that the Hulk can lose control, and it established that Thor has the strength and the conscious to try and stop him. But he's not fighting Hulk because he doesn't like the Hulk, or has a difference in philosophy, or some personal grudge - it's simply because the Hulk needs to be stopped and he's the only man for the job.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Avengers

Postby Olympia » May 14th, 2012 @ 3:34pm

But Black Widow and Hulk didn't fight. We already established that.


LOL
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia
User avatar
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Aug 26th, 2010 @ 3:18am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: The Avengers

Postby kenzo » May 14th, 2012 @ 3:39pm

God, you are fucking dense. They didn't "fight" because she was smart and tried to run away from a threat she had no way of beating. But Hulk sure tried his best to fight her, regardless.

If anything, given the scenes where Black Widow recruits Banner, and later confronts him because she suspects Loki intends to use him to wreak havoc, that those two have a rivalry - but they clearly don't. So without knowing anything about the history of the Avengers, why would an audience member think that the Hulk and Thor have any rivalry between each other when they barely acknowledge each other's presence outside of that first fight, and as I've already stated a billion times, don't even display any level of emotions directed at the other?
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Avengers

Postby Master Higgins » May 14th, 2012 @ 3:43pm

It never ends!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Avengers

Postby Olympia » May 14th, 2012 @ 3:44pm

kenzo wrote:God, you are fucking dense. They didn't "fight" because she was smart and tried to run away from a threat she had no way of beating. But Hulk sure tried his best to fight her, regardless.


Sorry, but that still doesn't properly compare to an actual fight scene between Hulk and Thor, which is a completely physical rivalry.

E: oops forgot a word
Last edited by Olympia on May 14th, 2012 @ 3:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=187 ride or die=-
Olympia
User avatar
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Aug 26th, 2010 @ 3:18am
Location: San Jose, CA

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Options

Return to TV and Movies

cron