Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby LiQuid » Apr 26th, 2010 @ 4:28pm

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:
James-Kond wrote:Jo people, I recently marathoned this whole show from Season 1 till Season 3 :p

And I will say, damned amazing, go AMC.

I'm about to do the same. I saw most of season 1 already but I'll go through it for a recap.

In my opinion they have yet to recapture the magic that was Jesse's bathtub antics from the first season, but holy fuck it seems like they're trying every episode.
LiQuid

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Apr 26th, 2010 @ 4:37pm

I like the whole clean cut cancer guy cooking meth and being a drug dealer for the first time. When the character is going through something new and crazy it makes for good TV, but when you're making a show about drugs it's hard to keep up that "doing new crazy things" vibe that's usually relevant the first season. Just look at Weeds.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby LiQuid » Apr 26th, 2010 @ 4:50pm

I agree completely. Weeds completely lost me a few episodes into season 3. It just needed to stop with a bang after a season or two to maintain its greatness. I hope Breaking Bad stops before it gets trite, but with its popularity I have a feeling it won't. It has being a drama in its favor, whereas Weeds just got too goofy for its own good (the bumbling, fat sidekick dude from season two was way over the top). Hopefully they can keep up this manic pace, but I really hope when they do they go out with a bang instead of dragging it on.
LiQuid

Postby Lopsidedown » Apr 26th, 2010 @ 7:09pm

I think I remember an interview somewhere, where Vince Gilligan said that there was definitely an ending point to the story and he really wanted to avoid dragging it out any longer than it should be.

Plus, based on the amazing quality of every episode so far, I have complete faith in the storytelling abilities of the writers. No worries here.
Lopsidedown

Postby LiQuid » Apr 26th, 2010 @ 7:23pm

I'm totally on board with you, Lop, but writers, creators, and producers can't always stand up to the demanding might that are network execs. We'll just have to wait and see. I'm glad for shows like Brotherhood that got the creative license to kick ass much ass while they were around and develop a devoted, underground fanbase, but for every show like that, there's a Lost or Heroes that succumbs to a network's need to stretch their dollar longer than the show is able to hold a narrative together.
LiQuid

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Apr 26th, 2010 @ 8:35pm

Lopsidedown wrote:I think I remember an interview somewhere, where Vince Gilligan said that there was definitely an ending point to the story and he really wanted to avoid dragging it out any longer than it should be.

Plus, based on the amazing quality of every episode so far, I have complete faith in the storytelling abilities of the writers. No worries here.

That sounds good and all but, not to compare it to the show, Supernatural was supposed to end with season 5, and here they are starting a season 6. Like LiQuid said, and I paraphrase, "Fuckin' network execs."
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby indieinsd » Apr 26th, 2010 @ 11:38pm

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:
Lopsidedown wrote:I think I remember an interview somewhere, where Vince Gilligan said that there was definitely an ending point to the story and he really wanted to avoid dragging it out any longer than it should be.

That sounds good and all but, not to compare it to the show, Supernatural was supposed to end with season 5, and here they are starting a season 6. Like LiQuid said, and I paraphrase, "Fuckin' network execs."

I have to believe the network execs at AMC that green lit Breaking Bad and Mad Men are not the same that put out the dreck that most of other networks air.
indieinsd

Postby LiQuid » Apr 27th, 2010 @ 4:45am

Christ.
Spoiler: show
Not looking forward to Hank's fate
LiQuid

Postby kevinep3 » Apr 27th, 2010 @ 9:08am

LiQuid wrote:Christ.
Not looking forward to Hank's fate

yeah this was such an intense episode and i dont know if anyone else noticed but it was the first time the 2 spoke
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby James-Kond » Apr 27th, 2010 @ 12:08pm

LiQuid wrote:I want her to die like [spoiler] did in Dexter.

I acpetted her to get killed at the end of Season 2 and I was like: Dexter Totality robbed this from Breaking Bad.. but in the end it had another twist, which might as well be a good thing ^^

Btw Skyller = Betty by the way.
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby Lopsidedown » May 2nd, 2010 @ 7:14pm

It's only 13 minutes in, but fuck- I hate Walt so much. Jesse needs to stop taking beatings and give one out. Soon.

Every week this show proves again and again that it's easily the best thing on television and this week was no different. I don't think I've ever been as on edge from an episode of anything as I was for the final minutes of this one.
Lopsidedown

Postby kevinep3 » May 3rd, 2010 @ 8:02pm

this is probably the greatest episode of this show ever, to be honest though i was dissapointed by the ending
I actually wished it ended with the axe coming down on hank
kevinep3

Postby LiQuid » May 18th, 2010 @ 8:44am

Holy shit this is amazing!!!!

LiQuid

Postby kevinep3 » May 18th, 2010 @ 9:25am

liquid thats fuckin hilarious, i was dying
kevinep3

Postby bayfield » May 25th, 2010 @ 9:07am

i've seen a couple of episodes on and off, thought they were pretty good, but i think i'm going to commit into watching all the way through to the current run.

i saw "the fly" the other night when flipping channels at my family's house, i found that overly amusing for the simplicity of the episode :p
"It's a rockstar vatican assassin torpedo of truth sent by a warlock" - KindGalaxy
bayfield

Postby James-Kond » May 25th, 2010 @ 1:11pm

bayfield wrote:i've seen a couple of episodes on and off, thought they were pretty good, but i think i'm going to commit into watching all the way through to the current run.

i saw "the fly" the other night when flipping channels at my family's house, i found that overly amusing for the simplicity of the episode :p

The episode was directed by Rian Johnson, who made the fantastic movies 'Brick' and 'The Brothers Bloom' fyi. :)
James-Kond

Postby hunter zolomon » Jun 1st, 2010 @ 11:21am

sundays episode was fairly decent. i loved the look on walts face when skyler revealed they were still married. for a second i thought she was going to suggest buying teds business as the front to launder the money. ted would be the inside guy and not say anything because she knows he was cooking the books.
making others better through great tragedy and laced cookies
hunter zolomon

Postby LiQuid » Jun 1st, 2010 @ 12:55pm

Anything will be a step up after the ridiculous fucking Fly episode. Was there a point to that? The woozy moment where Walt nearly fessed up to Jesse was kind of tense, but aside from that, fuck that episode up the ass with a makeshift flyswatter.
LiQuid

Postby indieinsd » Jun 1st, 2010 @ 2:55pm

LiQuid wrote:Anything will be a step up after the ridiculous fucking Fly episode. Was there a point to that? The woozy moment where Walt nearly fessed up to Jesse was kind of tense, but aside from that, fuck that episode up the ass with a makeshift flyswatter.

I actually liked, it wasn't the greatest in the series but still good. It reminded me a little of the Pine Barens episode of The Sopranos that was directed by Steve Buscemi. But that was better if not one of the greatest episodes of that entire series.

Last week's was great though, setting the table for the season 3 finale and calling back to season 2. Skylar getting involved is kinda expected but the meeting with Gus was great and nice to pull back the curtain a little bit of the mysterious Mr. Fring.
indieinsd

Postby indieinsd » Jun 6th, 2010 @ 11:03pm

Wholly shit, that just happened.
indieinsd

Postby James-Kond » Jun 7th, 2010 @ 8:41am

Nah man, we ain't killers.
James-Kond

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 7th, 2010 @ 9:50am

that was such a good ending, i cant wait for the finale, i think im going to lose my mind
kevinep3

Postby Creep » Jun 7th, 2010 @ 11:48am

Holy shit. The ending to the latest episode. I did not see that coming. Best show on tv.
Creep

Postby LiQuid » Jun 7th, 2010 @ 12:10pm

I dunno guys, it's getting a little too ridiculous for my taste, and that coming from a guy who thought the bath tub melt from season 1 was among the best scenes in TV history. The problem with the way this show is going is the same thing that bugs me about shows like Dexter and Lost. They want to constantly go out of their way to shock viewers with over the top events, but the problem is the writers just throw plausibility out the window and find ways to write themselves back out of whatever mess they got in with more mess. Shows like The Sopranos and Brotherhood pull off shocking writing really well because the gangster premise allows for shit like that to be handled and covered up with relative ease in relation to the situation of the characters. Walt running over a couple of street level thugs for Jessie, jeopardizing his business, family, and hell freedom made absolutely no sense and seemed like it was just put in there for a "haha, see what we did?!" moment. It worked. All you guys are talking about it like it was the second coming, but I can't think of a way the finale can go that will make that just not the most retarded thing I've ever seen a fictional character do.
LiQuid

Postby indieinsd » Jun 8th, 2010 @ 5:45am

He's got history with Jesse, and thats what makes it different. I think Walt is still trying to make amends for letting his girlfriend die. Walt wasn't prepared for the guilt he would feel and how much it would deeply affect Jesse. Writing off BB as another Dexter or Lost is a bit disingenuous because despite it's craziness BB still is pretty fucking grounded in a very real reality. I think the call backs from season 2 (as of late) really show that there are real consequences to every action in this world.

Who would have thought we would get more backstory into Combo's death and the child that carried it out. Those moments from season 2 were almost throw away for shock value to show how hard this crew was but then to call back to it to setup this season 3 finale drama is reminiscent of something that I would have seen from The Sopranos.
LiQuid wrote:Shows like The Sopranos and Brotherhood pull off shocking writing really well because the gangster premise allows for shit like that to be handled and covered up with relative ease in relation to the situation of the characters.

Season 2 was like their gangster year so it doesn't seem out of character especially when you see the trailer for next week and they have the shot of Walt putting his Hisenberg lid back on.
indieinsd

Postby Jeff Greens Son » Jun 9th, 2010 @ 4:08pm

I think it all fits fine. He had pretty much been a defeated man all season, finally he is doing his own thing again.
Jeff Greens Son

Postby indieinsd » Jun 14th, 2010 @ 12:08am

Poor Gayle (or Gail?).
I'm hoping Jesse grabs him and gets him the fuck outta there. But Walt turning the tables on them was pretty fucking awesome. I actually kinda wish they just ended it with a doorbell ring (And Gayle walking to the door not revealing who got there first), instead of the gunshot. I dont like cliffhanger endings usually but this one wasn't that bad because we know going forward Gus and Walt's relationship will not be the same at all.
indieinsd

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 14th, 2010 @ 10:21am

I'm 3 or 4 episodes into season 2. Pretty good show but season 1 was a little slow.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jun 14th, 2010 @ 11:04am

Slow? It's been a while, but I remember every episode of season one having a distinct "Oh snap!" moment in it. You might as well just quit while you're ahead, since almost every single episode of season three has a distinct "Oh jeez..." moment instead.

The finale was alright. They did just as poor a job recovering from the madness that was the end of the penultimate episode as I thought they would, but at least it ended on a nice cliffhanger. I know how much people love cliffhangers.
LiQuid

Postby Creep » Jun 14th, 2010 @ 11:54am

It felt to me like Jesse was always on the brink of being the bad guy he thought he was. However, every chance he got to be that guy he somehow lucked out and never actually followed through with it. He always proved himself to just be a good guy in a bad situation... until now. Pulling that trigger and killing an innocent man was him actually being the bad guy. There's no lucking out of this one... If indeed he did kill Gale.
Creep

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics