Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

THUNDERCATS TO RELAUNCH ON CN 2011!

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 2nd, 2010 @ 2:37pm

How cool is this???

Here's the official press release, courtesy of mania.com:

Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) has begun production on “ThunderCats,” an all-new animated series for Cartoon Network, based upon the iconic 1980s action classic. “ThunderCats” is the newest series from WBA, joining “Batman: The Brave and the Bold,” which was recently renewed for a third season, and the following forthcoming programs: “The Looney Tunes Show,” “MAD,” “Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated” and “Young Justice.” The announcement was made today by Sam Register, Executive Vice President, Creative Affairs, Warner Bros. Animation.

“In addition to being Warner Bros. Animation’s first anime series, ‘ThunderCats’ marks our most ambitious foray yet into fantasy,” said Register. “The realism and dynamic visual style we’ve achieved are sure to thrill viewers, and the cool weapons, vehicles and technology should help the show appeal to a diverse audience.”

The 21st century reimagining of the series marks a creative collaboration between WBA and Studio4°C, one of the most vibrant animation studios in Japan, with credits including “The Animatrix,” “Gotham Knights” and “Halo Legends.” WBA is working closely with Studio4°C, utilizing the latter’s expertise to give the “ThunderCats” characters a new cutting-edge look while remaining true to the compelling storylines and mythology of the original series.

“We at Studio4°C are excited to be in this creative partnership with Warner Bros. Animation to bring ‘ThunderCats’ to life,” said Eiko Tanaka, President and CEO, Studio4°C. “This collaboration combines the strengths of our two companies – high production values and great storytelling – toward reintroducing this classic fan-favorite to a new audience.”

Roaring to life through WBA and Studio4°C’s use of the Japanese animated artistry of anime, “ThunderCats” characters Lion-O, Mumm-Ra, Panthro, Cheetara and others will spring off the screen with realistic cat-like characteristics inconceivable in previous incarnations.

The new “ThunderCats” will appeal to viewers who have loved the characters all their lives as well as young newcomers to the franchise. A sweeping tale combining swords and science and boasting ferocious battles with the highest of stakes, the grand origin story of Prince Lion-O’s ascension to the throne – and of those who would thwart his destiny at any cost – takes on epic dimensions in this sharp new telling. As the forces of good and evil battle each other in the quest for the fabled Stones of Power, Lion-O and his champions learn valuable lessons of loyalty, honor and mortality in every episode.

“ThunderCats” is executive produced by Sam Register (“Teen Titans,” “Ben 10,” “Batman: The Brave and the Bold”). Michael Jelenic (“Batman: The Brave and the Bold,” “Wonder Woman”) and Ethan Spaulding (“Avatar: The Last Airbender”) are the producers.

I wasn't a huge fan of the original series, but after the re-imagining of He-Man and Transformers on Cartoon Network, I am at least cautiously optimistic for this series. And even if it's not a home run, we'll still have Young Justice. What do you guys think? Share your thoughts on the old and new series here!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Re: THUNDERCATS TO RELAUNCH ON CN 2011!

Postby indieinsd » Jun 2nd, 2010 @ 3:14pm

I was a huge fan as kid. This and Silverhawks were are go to staples before bedtime. My dad use to tape the marathons from the satellite dish to our betamax. Nice to see them trying to relaunch the show before trying to make a feature film. Hopefully they get some good writers because I feel like the old shows were geared to a very young audience and thus dont hold up real well. Something like Avatar: The Last Airbender can be entertaining for both kids and adults, so they should shoot for that sort of audience.

EDIT
I just went to youtube and found the intro to Silverhawks. I think I would like a reboot of that more...
[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mzAQu23t19A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mzAQu23t19A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Qd_IsxgAf8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Qd_IsxgAf8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
indieinsd

Postby Grimlock » Jun 2nd, 2010 @ 4:19pm

My pants just got tight, and then I saw this thread.
Grimlock

Postby kenzo » Jun 2nd, 2010 @ 4:25pm

I used to watch this show all the time as a little kid, and I love cats in general... and yet this show does nothing for me. I have no fond memories of Thundercats like I did with He-Man, or Ninja Turtles, or Transformers, or any of those other shows I loved as a kid. It was just totally forgettable. I'm gonna pass on this reboot for now.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jun 2nd, 2010 @ 5:31pm

:(
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 2nd, 2010 @ 5:44pm

I used to watch Thundercats every day when I was kid and yet I remember nothing about it.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Bobloblaw » Jun 2nd, 2010 @ 6:09pm

Mr_eX wrote:I used to watch Thundercats every day when I was kid and yet I remember nothing about it.

Then you remember most of the important details.
Bobloblaw

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 2nd, 2010 @ 6:18pm

In all honesty I don't remember anything from any cartoons I used to watch prior to 2nd or 3rd grade.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Grimlock » Jun 3rd, 2010 @ 8:55pm

How can you people forget the Thundercats? The Thundercats were very memorable. You had Lion-O, Cheetara, Panthro, Tygra as the main cats we all know and love, but then there are the 2nd group of cats who are.... And they are stationed in.... Just like the original cats are in.... And they help do battle with Mumm-Ra and.... And then there were their helpful Third Earth allies like those robotic bear things and....

I really hope this new show does a better job of coming up with memorable parts.
Grimlock

Postby flufflogic » Jun 4th, 2010 @ 1:33pm

Nobody mentioned Snarf. HOW CAN ANYONE FORGET SNARF.
flufflogic

Postby kenzo » Jun 5th, 2010 @ 12:09am

flufflogic wrote:Nobody mentioned Snarf. HOW CAN ANYONE FORGET SNARF.

Through years of drinking and memory repression. FUCK THAT GUY.
kenzo

Postby flufflogic » Jun 8th, 2010 @ 5:27am

Surely, though, they'll have the sense to NOT resurrect that particular part of the show.
flufflogic

Postby Yay_Rob » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 1:24am

If Snarf turns up, he'd better die in the first episode or i'm not watching it. It'd be like putting Orko into a He-Man remake. Yuck.
Yay_Rob

Postby Grimlock » Jun 10th, 2010 @ 3:11am

Yay_Rob wrote:If Snarf turns up, he'd better die in the first episode or i'm not watching it. It'd be like putting Orko into a He-Man remake. Yuck.

Grimlock

Postby flufflogic » Jan 25th, 2011 @ 2:20pm

First image:
flufflogic

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 25th, 2011 @ 2:28pm

Interesting...
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby flufflogic » Jan 25th, 2011 @ 2:55pm

It's pretty faithful, through my rose tinted specs of wistful hindsight.
flufflogic

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 25th, 2011 @ 2:58pm

I'll wait to see it in motion to pass final judgment. They should have a big announcement either in April at Cartoon Network's Upfront event to show their upcoming line-up of new shows or at SDCC in July.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby AP-Zac » Jan 25th, 2011 @ 6:39pm

the only thing I remember about thundercats is that there was an episode in which some space cop chick showed up and used soap as a weapon
Podcast: www.averageplayer.libsyn.com
Twitter: averageplayer
AP-Zac

Postby lemon-fresh » Jan 25th, 2011 @ 6:48pm

So how's the Teddy Ruxpin remake coming along?
lemon-fresh

Postby Creep » Jan 25th, 2011 @ 6:55pm

Thundercats Ho! You hear me Ho? I said Thundercats!
Creep

Postby Mrs_B » Jan 26th, 2011 @ 1:58am

Oh My GAWD I love Teddy Ruxspin!!11! #sarcasticoverreaction
this looks cool though. I think Panthro looks better in this pic than he did in the original series. He was more like monkeybat-thro.
Mrs_B

Postby indieinsd » Jan 26th, 2011 @ 11:56am

Another image...
indieinsd

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 26th, 2011 @ 12:02pm

Better image. Looks promising.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby indieinsd » Jan 26th, 2011 @ 12:59pm

I was always more of a fan of Silverhawks, so I just hope this is successful enough to bring that back.
indieinsd

Postby kenzo » Jan 26th, 2011 @ 3:03pm

Thundercats used to be my favorite show until I discovered Ninja Turtles. Cats are awesome, people fighting with swords are awesome, what's not to like?

I'm kinda worried though, this show has furry-bait written all over it.
kenzo

Postby flufflogic » Jan 26th, 2011 @ 4:45pm

It looks a bit "TMNT for furries" in that pic, yes. It doesn't help that, bar the whip, the weapons are quite generic fantasy.
flufflogic

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Jan 27th, 2011 @ 12:54am

Lion-O just looks like another anime angst-filled teen, what happened to the manly, hairy bad ass Lion-O I remember? That whip makes Tygra look like he's doing Rhythmic Gymnastics. Panthro looks bad ass, but he also looks like the generic buff old guy, and Cheetara looks too much like a normal person, besides those, uh, hairy arms. Maybe it's art from before they go to Third Earth and within a couple episodes Lion-O will start to be bad ass. It was okay to have humanoid cats in the late 80's, but all they're going to get now is "lol furries"

I don't want more remakes of my childhood cartoons, I want more new cartoons that are in the style of old cartoons, they're trying to make this more of a new style "what kids are into" type thing. I'll probably catch the first episode when my sister watches it, but after that I'll show her the old ThunderCats and we'll not give this one more attention.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 27th, 2011 @ 10:20am

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:Lion-O just looks like another anime angst-filled teen, what happened to the manly, hairy bad ass Lion-O I remember? That whip makes Tygra look like he's doing Rhythmic Gymnastics. Panthro looks bad ass, but he also looks like the generic buff old guy, and Cheetara looks too much like a normal person, besides those, uh, hairy arms. Maybe it's art from before they go to Third Earth and within a couple episodes Lion-O will start to be bad ass. It was okay to have humanoid cats in the late 80's, but all they're going to get now is "lol furries"

I don't want more remakes of my childhood cartoons, I want more new cartoons that are in the style of old cartoons, they're trying to make this more of a new style "what kids are into" type thing. I'll probably catch the first episode when my sister watches it, but after that I'll show her the old ThunderCats and we'll not give this one more attention.

Uh, sorry to bust your bubble, but old ThunderCats has not aged well. At all. Especially in the later seasons.

And there's nothing wrong inherently with remakes of old cartoons. You just got to do them right, like G.I. Joe Renegades.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Creep » Jan 27th, 2011 @ 11:55am

Freaking furries
Creep

Next
Forum Statistics