Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Batman: Under the Red Hood

Postby MacBooey87 » Aug 1st, 2010 @ 6:41pm

jinpei05 wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Jonah Hex the new Josh Brolin film? Like the rest of the country I skipped it. It looks horrible. Can't wait to see the DVD though.

I probably liked Justice League Crisis on Two Earths better than Wonder Woman. But that's probably like just because it had characters other than Wonder Woman in it.

No, no, the Jonah Hex short on the Under the Red Hood disc. The one with Thomas Jane and Linda Hamilton.

Crisis was ok, but I didn't like how they portrayed Batman (his character and his voice) or how neatly they wrapped up the ending. James Woods was awesome though.

I wish they would turn that version of Jonah Hex into a series, or give it a full length film. It was pretty awesome, and Thomas Jane was waaay better than the douche in the live action.
MacBooey87

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 1st, 2010 @ 6:47pm

MacBooey87 wrote:I wish they would turn that version of Jonah Hex into a series, or give it a full length film. It was pretty awesome, and Thomas Jane was waaay better than the douche in the live action.

Yeah, if they made that into a full-length feature, I would definitely pick it up.

What did you think of Under the Red Hood?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby MacBooey87 » Aug 1st, 2010 @ 8:06pm

jinpei05 wrote:
MacBooey87 wrote:I wish they would turn that version of Jonah Hex into a series, or give it a full length film. It was pretty awesome, and Thomas Jane was waaay better than the douche in the live action.

Yeah, if they made that into a full-length feature, I would definitely pick it up.

What did you think of Under the Red Hood?

Under the Hood was decent. Joker's voice was horrendous, and I thought the Batman voice was pretty lame too but not that bad. I liked the intro, I think Batman works really well as a dark and evil piece, and Joker beating the shit out of Robin and killing him was pretty damn dark and evil.

I have to admit it, I am a Batman whore and a DC and Marvel animated whore, I watch everything they put out, but they definitely have done better movies.
MacBooey87

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 2nd, 2010 @ 1:30pm

MacBooey87 wrote:Under the Hood was decent. Joker's voice was horrendous, and I thought the Batman voice was pretty lame too but not that bad. I liked the intro, I think Batman works really well as a dark and evil piece, and Joker beating the shit out of Robin and killing him was pretty damn dark and evil.

I have to admit it, I am a Batman whore and a DC and Marvel animated whore, I watch everything they put out, but they definitely have done better movies.

I dunno, I really dug Captain Christopher Pike as Batman. I thought his performance was noteworthy, and the suits at WB thought so too; otherwise, why else would they have re-cast him as Batman in the new Young Justice series this fall?

Overall, I did like this film. Wonder Woman's still my favorite. I'll say this much: The DC DTVs are a hell of a lot better than the Marvel ones.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 2nd, 2010 @ 1:43pm

Joker's voice was terrible. It didn't fit the character at all.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 2nd, 2010 @ 2:25pm

All I could hear when the Joker talked was Elzar and Bender.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 2nd, 2010 @ 2:36pm

Master Higgins wrote:All I could hear when the Joker talked was Elzar and Bender.

Yay! You watched it! And you're participating in the thread!

As for John DiMaggio's performance, yeah, I can see where having a recognizable character resume like Bender, Elzar, or Marcus Fenix from Gears of War can distract instead of enhance.

I can understand what Andrea Romano was going for: In Superman: Doomsday, John DiMaggio played a really creepy, pedophile Toyman, and they were trying to bring that to the Joker in this film for a more sinister, darker portrayal. I don't think it worked.

What'd you think of the rest of the film, Master Higgins?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 2nd, 2010 @ 3:09pm

jinpei05 wrote:What'd you think of the rest of the film, Master Higgins?

Overall, I liked it. Black Mask was a bit too goofy for me, but I thought they did a good job of taking the somewhat continuity-heavy original story and making it work for an audience that probably never read the comic. Ra's works over Superboy Prime :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Aug 2nd, 2010 @ 3:13pm

Master Higgins wrote:Overall, I liked it. Black Mask was a bit too goofy for me, but I thought they did a good job of taking the somewhat continuity-heavy original story and making it work for an audience that probably never read the comic. Ra's works over Superboy Prime :lol:

Didn't you read my impressions? They most certainly did not.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 2nd, 2010 @ 3:31pm

LiQuid wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:Overall, I liked it. Black Mask was a bit too goofy for me, but I thought they did a good job of taking the somewhat continuity-heavy original story and making it work for an audience that probably never read the comic. Ra's works over Superboy Prime :lol:

Didn't you read my impressions? They most certainly did not.

Yes, but you hate everything, or at least don't have enough interest to care about the characters. You said so yourself. :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 2nd, 2010 @ 4:21pm

Master Higgins wrote:

Overall, I liked it. Black Mask was a bit too goofy for me, but I thought they did a good job of taking the somewhat continuity-heavy original story and making it work for an audience that probably never read the comic. Ra's works over Superboy Prime :lol:

Agreed. So what did you think of the rest of the disc (i.e., Jonah Hex, Jason Todd documentary, etc.)?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Aug 2nd, 2010 @ 4:33pm

Yeah but I expected to at least be marginally entertained by the story, which as someone who didn't read the comics, I thought was completely jagged and haphazard in every regard. Just because I don't follow or like Batman am I not entitled to an interesting narrative?
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 2nd, 2010 @ 4:38pm

LiQuid wrote:Yeah but I expected to at least be marginally entertained by the story, which as someone who didn't read the comics, I thought was completely jagged and haphazard in every regard. Just because I don't follow or like Batman am I not entitled to an interesting narrative?

No, but not liking the central character or having a staked interest in him kinda stacks the odds for not liking the movie as a whole. Just saying.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 2nd, 2010 @ 4:50pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

Agreed. So what did you think of the rest of the disc (i.e., Jonah Hex, Jason Todd documentary, etc.)?

I actually forgot to watch the Jonah Hex short. I'll probably watch it tonight.

I watched the documentaries first, as I was waiting for my girlfriend to...do something, I don't remember what. I think she was cooking dinner. Anyway, I usually love the docs that DC does, but these seemed weird. The music was all minimalistic, with looooooong pauses on art with no talking. Lots of weird stock movie footage worked in to the comments. Very odd. Go back and watch the GL or WW ones, I thought they were a lot better.

That said, I'm a sucked for all the DC documentaries.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Aug 2nd, 2010 @ 5:12pm

Master Higgins wrote:I was waiting for my girlfriend to...do something, I don't remember what. I think she was cooking dinner.

Your girlfriend goes outta her way to cook you dinner and you forget about it? Uh oh! Don't let her know that! :lol:
kenzo

Postby AJR » Aug 2nd, 2010 @ 6:37pm

I’ve only watched a few bits and pieces from the movie, but I’m surprised how many people are complaining about Joker’s voice. DiMaggio sounded fine to me.
I do a podcast with some guy. Feel free to listen.
http://earth-2.net/podcasts/extralives/extralives
AJR

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:25am

AJR wrote:I’ve only watched a few bits and pieces from the movie, but I’m surprised how many people are complaining about Joker’s voice. DiMaggio sounded fine to me.

Like me and Higgins said, it's distracting when he's got such a recognizable voice that portrayed many memorable characters.

I felt kinda the same about Nightwing's voice.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Lopsidedown » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 7:21pm

As someone who hasn't been able to watch other DCU movies in the past because of voicework (absence of Conroy, Hamill, et al.) the only voice that I felt was out of place was Nightwing's. Maybe it's because NPH is so recognizable. Otherwise, I even thought that Joker was pretty good. Probably because it didn't feel like an imitation, and was more of it's own thing.
Lopsidedown

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 4th, 2010 @ 6:01am

Lopsidedown wrote:As someone who hasn't been able to watch other DCU movies in the past because of voicework (absence of Conroy, Hamill, et al.) the only voice that I felt was out of place was Nightwing's. Maybe it's because NPH is so recognizable. Otherwise, I even thought that Joker was pretty good. Probably because it didn't feel like an imitation, and was more of it's own thing.

As I posted earlier, Nolan North should have voiced Nightwing.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kiwi » Aug 4th, 2010 @ 9:01am

Dimaggio was hit or miss for me. Some lines I thought he did pretty well and some left me pining for Hamill. Overall, I thought the movie wasn't bad. I haven't seen the other DC animated movies, so I can't really compare it to them. I will still say that Mask of the Phantasm is still far and away the best animated Batman movie.
kiwi

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 4th, 2010 @ 10:42am

Mr_eX wrote:As I posted earlier, Nolan North should have voiced Nightwing.

He's too busy recording Superboy for the new Young Justice series this fall, not to mention every other video game protagonist.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 4th, 2010 @ 2:53pm

He was also Green Lantern in Crisis on Two Earths
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby mltvcocktail » Aug 7th, 2010 @ 8:54pm

These DC Animated movies have pretty much all kicked ass and I think this one was probably my second favorite, lots of great action and they put a nice, accessible twist on two classic Batman stories. A fantastic Riddler cameo as well. My only nitpick is that like some of you other guys I wish Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill were doing the voices. John DiMaggio was fine but Bruce Greenwood (who is awesome) seemed to be doing just a standard, growly "I'm Batman!" voice.
Check out my movie website/podcast at: http://www.everythingaction.com and also check out my blog for random internet nerdery at: http://mltvcocktail.tumblr.com/

Follow me on Twitter: @mltvcocktail

PSN name: Mltvcocktail
mltvcocktail

Postby Bobloblaw » Nov 15th, 2010 @ 11:27am

I just caught this over the weekend. I think it may be my favorite DC animated flick. I wasn't familiar with the Jason Todd story and was totally blown away. He seem like I great character. This may motivate me to find some trades with him.
Bobloblaw

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 15th, 2010 @ 11:39am

Bobloblaw wrote:I just caught this over the weekend. I think it may be my favorite DC animated flick. I wasn't familiar with the Jason Todd story and was totally blown away. He seem like I great character. This may motivate me to find some trades with him.

Glad you liked it. I thought it was a pretty good adaptation of the source material.

Just to warn you: Jason Todd was a total dick in the comics which is why they killed him off in the first place.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby IRL_Troll » Nov 15th, 2010 @ 1:30pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:I just caught this over the weekend. I think it may be my favorite DC animated flick. I wasn't familiar with the Jason Todd story and was totally blown away. He seem like I great character. This may motivate me to find some trades with him.

Glad you liked it. I thought it was a pretty good adaptation of the source material.

Just to warn you: Jason Todd was a total dick in the comics which is why they killed him off in the first place.

This....there was an event where you could vote during the arc where he gets captured by the joker whether or not he dies....guess how that went. The people spoke and they hated Todd. He's awesome now, but at the time, damn
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby GiantAsianMan » Nov 15th, 2010 @ 2:44pm

IRL_Troll wrote:This....there was an event where you could vote during the arc where he gets captured by the joker whether or not he dies....guess how that went. The people spoke and they hated Todd.

Not like it was landslide or anything; I believe that it was by less than 100 votes. And Denny O'Neil claims (unsubstantiated) that there was some guy who rigged his phone American Idol-style to call the "die" number once every couple of minutes or something. They figure he tallied about 200 votes, which, it not counted, would've been enough for Todd to live. I think O'Neil relays that story on the bonus features for this film, in fact.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Nearo » Nov 16th, 2010 @ 8:39am

Just watched this on Netflix. I loved the action and the music was great. My only complaint, why the hell is Mark Hamill not voicing the Joker? Even if it wasn't Hamill they could've gotten someone better. I thought he did well but the sound of his voice was just off for me.
XBLA: Jangoe
Nearo

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 16th, 2010 @ 9:56am

He's too busy giving his final performance on the Batman: Arkham City game. :cry:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby IRL_Troll » Nov 16th, 2010 @ 12:58pm

I didn't mind the VA at all. I was able to hear The Joker instead of Bender...besides I didn't care once I saw the scene where the joker cuts up a dude with his glass and shoots everyone else. Pretty damned badass.
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics