Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Started watching The Wire

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 3rd, 2010 @ 7:46am

LiQuid wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:my 360's HD-DVD drive

lawl

Funniest thing about it is that I bought so I could get Heroes Season 1 on HD-DVD, about 5 months before HD-DVD was dead
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby DerBonk » Mar 3rd, 2010 @ 10:58am

Don't diss ma 360 HD-DVD drive man! :D I have one too. However, I only paid ten bucks for it. I thought about buying the box set, right now I got the first 3 seasons from a friend. I might wait for an official release over here though. 100€ for importing all five seasons isn't bad, but if they ever do a version with a German audio track, I want that so my gf can watch the show. So, I don't know...from what you said, I might not get it anyway, I hate badly built DVD box sets. My Star Trek TOS Season 1 HD-DVD/DVD set is sooooo bad for example, would never buy that again.

Anyways, on to spoilers about that second to last episode on season 3:
Spoiler: show
Stringer was one of my favorite characters, his anger at the senator, his ambition to come clean and be a real businessman. He always seemed to be the smartest guy, but really, he is this little boy dreaming of being CEO. What I'll definitely miss though is the conflict between him and McNulty. It felt like they were brothers or secretly best friends.

On a side note: The soundtrack is kinda alright. I don't like the music that much overall, but they put some quotes from the show in between and those are brilliant, work really well between the songs.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby kiwi » Mar 3rd, 2010 @ 11:03am

Mr_eX wrote:
LiQuid wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:my 360's HD-DVD drive

lawl

Funniest thing about it is that I bought so I could get Heroes Season 1 on HD-DVD, about 5 months before HD-DVD was dead

At Best Buy? I thought about doing that, but I'm glad I resisted. I ended up getting Heroes s.1 on Blu-Ray for '08 Christmas.
kiwi

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 3rd, 2010 @ 2:51pm

Here is the box set http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001FA1P1W/sr=8-1/qid=1267652541/ref=dp_otherviews_z_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&img=1&qid=1267652541&sr=8-1

It's not shown there but each disc is in its own little plastic bag, then the disc is put into the cardboard sleeve with nothing keeping it in place. I should have bought the seasons seperatly I guess.

DerBonk wrote:Anyways, on to spoilers about that second to last episode on season 3:
Stringer was one of my favorite characters, his anger at the senator, his ambition to come clean and be a real businessman. He always seemed to be the smartest guy, but really, he is this little boy dreaming of being CEO. What I'll definitely miss though is the conflict between him and McNulty. It felt like they were brothers or secretly best friends.

I really liked that scene with Stringer and Evon looking over the harbor talking about when they were kids, each one having already betrayed the other.

I didn't see Stringers death coming, well at least not as soon as it did. I thought eventually there would be a war between Stringer and Evon and people would start picking sides. Now I have no idea where the show is heading.

I can't wait to watch the last episode of season 3 tonight.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby DerBonk » Mar 3rd, 2010 @ 3:27pm

Wow, that's just stupid :/ On the other hand, the box set that I could get my hands on looks different: http://www.amazon.de/Wire-Complete-Seas ... 428&sr=8-2 Looks like the individual seasons just collected. So, I might pick it up soonish, if I have the money.

I kinda expected something to happen as soon as the New York Brother guy came back, but the way it went down. Shit, seeing poor Stringers dreams in ruins (literally), esp. with the B&B sign in the background. That was really, really well done, in my opinion.

Anyway, I am also wondering how it'll continue, I have an idea, but I won't bring it up before you've watched the last episode of season 3....
DerBonk

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 4th, 2010 @ 2:48pm

Finished season 3 and started season 4. The show really does get better the further you get into it. I don't want to say anything about season 4 because it would spoil the end of season 3 but it's pretty good so far.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Mar 4th, 2010 @ 2:50pm

Why don't you play some damned VIDEO GAMES?
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 4th, 2010 @ 2:50pm

kiwi wrote:At Best Buy? I thought about doing that, but I'm glad I resisted. I ended up getting Heroes s.1 on Blu-Ray for '08 Christmas.

Yeah it was the best buy deal. Knowing now how bad the show would get I kind of regret owning it.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 4th, 2010 @ 2:54pm

LiQuid wrote:Why don't you play some damned VIDEO GAMES?

I get home from work and I usually don't feel like doing anything other than watching TV, plus I'm really into The Wire story and I want to see what happens. Gamefly sent me Avatar so if you're worried about how I'm doing in the competition you don't need to be.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Mar 4th, 2010 @ 3:00pm

LOL fail!
LiQuid

Postby DerBonk » Mar 5th, 2010 @ 4:29am

Mr_eX wrote:Finished season 3 and started season 4. The show really does get better the further you get into it. I don't want to say anything about season 4 because it would spoil the end of season 3 but it's pretty good so far.

Hell yeah it is :D It's so crazy how much happened over the course of just one season. I am so hooked, not even League of Legends could get me away from the show right now. So...

Because The Wire is so awesome, not even AC II can keep up. If there is one game I desperately want to see, it's a Heavy Rain-like re-imagining of the 1st season of The Wire. Complete with all the different paths it might have taken, that would be beyond awesome.
DerBonk

Postby kenzo » Mar 5th, 2010 @ 4:44am

DerBonk wrote:

Because The Wire is so awesome, not even AC II can keep up. If there is one game I desperately want to see, it's a Heavy Rain-like re-imagining of the 1st season of The Wire. Complete with all the different paths it might have taken, that would be beyond awesome.

I have to side with LiQuid on this. As an axiom, video games > TV. I only watch the volume of TV that I do because I share my TV with roommates and have to play games intermittently.
kenzo

Postby DerBonk » Mar 5th, 2010 @ 6:30am

kenzo wrote:I have to side with LiQuid on this. As an axiom, video games > TV. I only watch the volume of TV that I do because I share my TV with roommates and have to play games intermittently.

I have way too many unhealthy obsessions. Gaming is just one of those. With TV it's usually like this: I start watching some show -> I really, really like the show, so I watch some more -> I love it so much, I binge on it -> all episodes watched, back to gaming
I binged Babylon 5 like this in about 4 weeks. All of it, including Crusade and the movies. But after I've done that with a show, I can't watch TV for quite a while, so gaming comes back. But, seriously, The Wire is so good, I just couldn't stand a video game's story at the moment, it would just annoy me for not being on a similar level.
DerBonk

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 5th, 2010 @ 7:32am

There are more good games than good TV shows, so when you find one thats as good as The Wire it makes you want to marathon through it.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby DerBonk » Mar 8th, 2010 @ 10:31am

I'm in the last season now and it is still awesome. Most of all:

"Rawls sucks cock" lol! :D
DerBonk

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 8th, 2010 @ 10:48am

I'm about half way through season 4, 99% of the police should be fired as they are horrible police.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Mar 8th, 2010 @ 10:50am

Shit, maybe The Wire is more realistic than I thought after all...
LiQuid

Postby DerBonk » Mar 8th, 2010 @ 1:33pm

Mr_eX wrote:I'm about half way through season 4, 99% of the police should be fired as they are horrible police.

You are so right, I rage all the time. However, the good police isn't necessarily better either... I've come to hate McNulty for example...
DerBonk

Postby Jon Cole » Mar 8th, 2010 @ 1:42pm

I'm really glad that opinions have generally looked up on the Wire as people have been going through it. And honestly, the little back and forth about Rawls being gay is one of many little easter eggs that the writers managed to push into the dialogue and that the set designers managed to put into the cinematography, which makes The Wire one of very few television series that I think are actually worth watching more than once.
Jon Cole

Postby deadairis » Mar 8th, 2010 @ 1:48pm

Not to dismiss the "street cred" claims of anyone else, but show creator David Simon was the crime beat reporter of the Baltimore Sun from 1982 to 1995. I'd really look at his background a little more closely before dismissing any claims of authenticity.

Hey, a link!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Simon
deadairis
The Reimpaler

Postby LiQuid » Mar 8th, 2010 @ 2:20pm

God damn it Patrick. All facts do is waylay internet bitching, and we can't have that around here.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 8th, 2010 @ 2:41pm

Patrick is good police.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby GiantAsianMan » Mar 8th, 2010 @ 3:09pm

deadairis wrote:Not to dismiss the "street cred" claims of anyone else, but show creator David Simon was the crime beat reporter of the Baltimore Sun from 1982 to 1995. I'd really look at his background a little more closely before dismissing any claims of authenticity.

Hey, a link!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Simon

In addition, Simon's writing partner on The Wire (and on a number of other projects) was Ed Burns, who was a former Baltimore homicide detective and public school teacher. Police, education, print media... any of those things sound like the areas they covered in the show?
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby kiwi » Aug 19th, 2010 @ 11:21am

kiwi wrote:Amy Ryan was so great in Season 2, also. It's funny, I've seen up to about the first third of season 3 also, I should finish it up. I do like it a lot.

I finished it up! Season 4 was the best, I think, but the whole series was great. There honestly was not a character that I disliked in the whole show that I can think of. I also love all the parallels in the different aspects of the city. They were obvious, a lot of the time, but they never felt forced. There were a lot of unpredictable moments, and not in a horseshit M. Night way. I live not far from Baltimore, and while I'm not going to pretend I know jack shit about the 'street life' there, it is nice to recognize a lot of the scenery. And I've had teachers specifically say not to use the Baltimore Sun as a source because of the kind of shit you see in season 5.

I'm glad I have the boxset, because I'll definitely watch it all again. I have the same boxset as Ex (although I don't have any of the described plastic bags) and my discs are in fine shape.
kiwi

Postby kenzo » Aug 19th, 2010 @ 11:35am

Me, the roommates, and another friend are starting from the beginning. We're only six episodes in, because we're limited to watching when that 'another friend' comes by to visit once and a while in the evenings. By the end of last night's episode, I pulled out my laptop and started browsing the web. Then I pulled out a Scott Pilgrim book because I visited all the websites I wanted to.

So far, this show is incredibly slow and boring. I don't care about any of the characters, or their plights. It's a slow and boring burn, just like Mad Men. Except Mad Men is inherently more interesting to me for a number of reasons. I'll continue watching it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I stop watching in the near future.
kenzo

Postby kiwi » Aug 19th, 2010 @ 12:02pm

I had the same feeling about Mad Men. I watched like the first 4 episodes or so and just was not into it and haven't watched any since.

But believe in it! It's definitely a slow burn, but I think they did a good job of building on everything the longer it went on. There are real great arcs to nearly every one of these characters and they are built upon every season.
kiwi

Postby kenzo » Aug 19th, 2010 @ 12:14pm

kiwi wrote:But believe in it! It's definitely a slow burn, but I think they did a good job of building on everything the longer it went on. There are real great arcs to nearly every one of these characters and they are built upon every season.

That's another thing about this show. My roommate told me that every season is like, a different story arc with different characters showing off a different facet of the city (Baltimore) and to me, that just doesn't sound appealing. I enjoy being invested in characters and seeing how their story plays out over the long-haul. Knowing that they're going to be gone or dead by the end of the season just kind of kills it.
kenzo

Postby GiantAsianMan » Aug 19th, 2010 @ 12:53pm

kiwi wrote:Season 4 was the best, I think, but the whole series was great.

Season 4 of The Wire is one of the best seasons of television ever produced.

kenzo wrote:That's another thing about this show. My roommate told me that every season is like, a different story arc with different characters showing off a different facet of the city (Baltimore) and to me, that just doesn't sound appealing. I enjoy being invested in characters and seeing how their story plays out over the long-haul. Knowing that they're going to be gone or dead by the end of the season just kind of kills it.

That's not entirely true. Each season does focus on a different aspect of the city (the police, the docks, the politics, the school system, the media), but the same characters are there throughout. They add and subtract characters as needed for the story, like any other show.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby kenzo » Aug 19th, 2010 @ 4:06pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:That's not entirely true. Each season does focus on a different aspect of the city (the police, the docks, the politics, the school system, the media), but the same characters are there throughout. They add and subtract characters as needed for the story, like any other show.

Ahhh, see I was told wrong.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 19th, 2010 @ 4:40pm

There are some of the same characters but each season does introduce a bunch of new ones.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics