Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

DEXTER

Postby mtcantor » Dec 18th, 2009 @ 6:43am

I fully intend this thread to be FULL of spoilers, so do not read if you haven't watched the latest season and its finale.

So, the obvious question to everyone is: How did you like it?

As for me, I thought this was the best season of the show yet. Lithgow's performance was entracing... best villain on the series yet, and a perfect parallel/foil to Dexter.

And of course, the ending. Wow. They were hyping up something "shocking" but what they did, and how they did it, and the implications... wow.

Looking back on it, the season ended up with this perfect symmetry too. The first scene of the season essentially lead to the very last, and the entire show has now shifted focus and purpose.

Also, kudos to the writers on the misdirection. They kept keeping you looking at one hand while the other was KILLING YOUR WIFE.

A thought too: Lots of people have died on this show, plenty in pretty gruesome ways, but this was the first time it ever hit me, and it hit me hard. I don't get worked up about this stuff, but man I have been reeling all week.
Currently Playing: Heavy Rain, Dragon Age: Origins, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Saints Row 2
Recently finished: Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2,No More Heroes 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders
mtcantor

Re: DEXTER

Postby LiQuid » Dec 18th, 2009 @ 9:03am

Four more episodes to go for me so I'll report back after. So far it's been miles ahead of the shitty third season. John Lithgow's Ass is my favorite antagonist of the series so far, narrowly besting Lila's Tits.
LiQuid

Postby mtcantor » Dec 19th, 2009 @ 12:47am

Now that you mention it, the only thing that could have made the season better is Lithgow saying "Pardon my ass"
Currently Playing: Heavy Rain, Dragon Age: Origins, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Saints Row 2
Recently finished: Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2,No More Heroes 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders
mtcantor

Postby LiQuid » Dec 19th, 2009 @ 10:13am

mtcantor wrote:Now that you mention it, the only thing that could have made the season better is Lithgow saying "Pardon my ass"

You take that fucking BACK! Lithgow's ass was the HIGHLIGHT of the season!!!
LiQuid

Postby mtcantor » Dec 19th, 2009 @ 10:52am

Finish the season before you say that.
mtcantor

Postby LiQuid » Dec 19th, 2009 @ 11:25am

K. BRB.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Dec 19th, 2009 @ 12:39pm

mtcantor wrote:Finish the season before you say that.

Ok, having finished it, I'm not sure what you meant by that. Lithgow's Ass was still the star of the show. If you were talking about the Rita thing, I knew about that before I even started watching this season. In fact it's the only reason I even continued watching after that abysmal 3rd season. Season 4 was about as perfect as a season of Dexter can get.
LiQuid

Postby mtcantor » Dec 19th, 2009 @ 12:57pm

LiQuid wrote:
mtcantor wrote:Finish the season before you say that.

Ok, having finished it, I'm not sure what you meant by that. Lithgow's Ass was still the star of the show. If you were talking about the Rita thing, I knew about that before I even started watching this season. In fact it's the only reason I even continued watching after that abysmal 3rd season. Season 4 was about as perfect as a season of Dexter can get.

Ok, moving away from lithgow's ass (har har) I totally agree with you about both Season 3 and 4. 3 almost made me quit watching the show. 4 lived up to all the potential the premise and characters could possibly muster.

So happy about it.

The Rita thing, I had a clue, especially after they started hyping up a "shocking" finale, but man... the way the did it, and the way they showed it... it just sent chills up my spine.
mtcantor

Postby LiQuid » Dec 19th, 2009 @ 1:01pm

mtcantor wrote:The Rita thing, I had a clue, especially after they started hyping up a "shocking" finale, but man... the way the did it, and the way they showed it... it just sent chills up my spine.

Well I don't know about chills, I was cheering. It would be a great scene to end the series on, given the circularity of it. Though I think it's way too popular for Showtime to end it now. I just don't see how they can make an entertaining series with single daddy of three Dexter without turning it into a sitcom.
LiQuid

Postby mtcantor » Dec 19th, 2009 @ 5:17pm

LiQuid wrote:
mtcantor wrote:The Rita thing, I had a clue, especially after they started hyping up a "shocking" finale, but man... the way the did it, and the way they showed it... it just sent chills up my spine.

Well I don't know about chills, I was cheering. It would be a great scene to end the series on, given the circularity of it. Though I think it's way too popular for Showtime to end it now. I just don't see how they can make an entertaining series with single daddy of three Dexter without turning it into a sitcom.

Why on earth would he have custody of Aster and Cody? He didn't adopt them.

They will go to Paul's parents, obviously.
mtcantor

Postby LiQuid » Dec 20th, 2009 @ 12:56am

mtcantor wrote:Why on earth would he have custody of Aster and Cody? He didn't adopt them.

They will go to Paul's parents, obviously.

What? Dex and Rita's marriage made Dexter their legal guardian, right? I'm not a lawyer, or even that smart, but when my slut of a mother, who had me out of wedlock, married my current dad, I'm pretty sure I became his by law...
LiQuid

Postby mtcantor » Dec 20th, 2009 @ 3:19pm

I am actually a lawyer, or at least have a law degree. It could go either way depending on the details of the situation and/or the state, but no, simply marrying a person does not make you their children's guardian, at least for the purpose of custody. He could have adopted them, which would mean he was their father, but otherwise, nope.

10/1 the kids will go to live with Paul's parents. Thats the whole idea behind the season anyhow: he can't have the family life. He will keep his kid, but thats it.
mtcantor

Postby LiQuid » Dec 21st, 2009 @ 8:26am

I'm now extra curious to see how the show's producers interpret the law on this one! I'm gonna miss Astor, she was growing into a bit of a rebellious hottie!
LiQuid

Postby Nobbyworks » Dec 21st, 2009 @ 1:51pm

mtcantor wrote:I am actually a lawyer, or at least have a law degree. It could go either way depending on the details of the situation and/or the state, but no, simply marrying a person does not make you their children's guardian, at least for the purpose of custody. He could have adopted them, which would mean he was their father, but otherwise, nope.

10/1 the kids will go to live with Paul's parents. Thats the whole idea behind the season anyhow: he can't have the family life. He will keep his kid, but thats it.

Just out of curiosity: why to the father's parents and not the mothers?

I'd wager more than 10/1 they go to grandparents less for legal reasons and more that I can't imagine how the show would work with Dexter as a single dad with 3 kids. Maybe he moves in with Deb to help raise them and the finale next season is Deb figuring out what he is. But still, I can't imagine an entertaining show of "Dexter goes nuts watching 3 kids on his own."
Nobbyworks

Postby Nobbyworks » Dec 21st, 2009 @ 1:52pm

LiQuid wrote:I'm now extra curious to see how the show's producers interpret the law on this one! I'm gonna miss Astor, she was growing into a bit of a rebellious hottie!

Dude, I really hope you're much, much younger than me.
Nobbyworks

Postby LiQuid » Dec 21st, 2009 @ 2:29pm

Doubtful. :mrgreen:
LiQuid

Postby mtcantor » Dec 21st, 2009 @ 3:34pm

Unless I am mistaken Rita's mom is on her own, and didn't really get along with her. Paul's parents were set up to be "good guys" at the end of the season, etc. Just a thought.

99% chance though that they are going to end up with someone other than Dex. The whole season is setting up that he is going back into loner mode. He cant have them in his life, as he will just hurt them like he hurt (kind of) their mother. It's for their own good, etc.
mtcantor

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 1st, 2010 @ 9:55am

I just started watching Dexter last night, so I'll be avoiding this thread. Good show so far, though!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby mtcantor » Jan 2nd, 2010 @ 6:46am

You have a long strange journey ahead of you. avoid spoilers!
mtcantor

Postby jw_6179 » Jan 9th, 2010 @ 12:52pm

I think that it's pretty clear Dexter's going to get locked in to a custody battle over Rita's two previous children. Don't you think it was a little convenient for Paul's parents to just happen to show up to take the kids to Disney World at the end of the season otherwise?

It'll be one of season five's major side plots. Dexter likes the kids, feels obligated to them because of Rita, Paul's parents remember/are reminded that Paul didn't trust Dexter, decide to make it hard as hell of Dexter, etc. etc.
jw_6179

Postby mtcantor » Jan 9th, 2010 @ 3:32pm

jw_6179 wrote:I think that it's pretty clear Dexter's going to get locked in to a custody battle over Rita's two previous children. Don't you think it was a little convenient for Paul's parents to just happen to show up to take the kids to Disney World at the end of the season otherwise?

It'll be one of season five's major side plots. Dexter likes the kids, feels obligated to them because of Rita, Paul's parents remember/are reminded that Paul didn't trust Dexter, decide to make it hard as hell of Dexter, etc. etc.

Nah, I think its going to the be the other way around. His closeness with others has only brought them pain/death, and this was made completely apparent with Rita's "incident." He will want to take the kids, but will know it will be better for them to be with Paul's parents and away from him.

Besides, its a bit much to expect the writers to manage having dexter take care of three kids on his own in addition to his job and "dark passenger" activities. Episodes would be too hectic.

Nope, Dexter had his taste of the traditional family life. He almost had it all. didn't work out for him though. He is going to completely retreat inside himself.
mtcantor

Postby jw_6179 » Jan 12th, 2010 @ 5:54pm

mtcantor wrote:Nah, I think its going to the be the other way around. His closeness with others has only brought them pain/death, and this was made completely apparent with Rita's "incident." He will want to take the kids, but will know it will be better for them to be with Paul's parents and away from him.

There's no drama in that. It makes sense logically, but we do not always think logically. And from a dramatic sense? The struggle/conflict is far more potentially rewarding for the show than him to shrug his shoulders and let the kids go.

Besides, its a bit much to expect the writers to manage having dexter take care of three kids on his own in addition to his job and "dark passenger" activities. Episodes would be too hectic.
Who says he wins the custody battle?
jw_6179

Postby mtcantor » Jan 12th, 2010 @ 6:32pm

jw_6179 wrote:
mtcantor wrote:Nah, I think its going to the be the other way around. His closeness with others has only brought them pain/death, and this was made completely apparent with Rita's "incident." He will want to take the kids, but will know it will be better for them to be with Paul's parents and away from him.

There's no drama in that. It makes sense logically, but we do not always think logically. And from a dramatic sense? The struggle/conflict is far more potentially rewarding for the show than him to shrug his shoulders and let the kids go.

Who says he wins the custody battle?

Time will tell.

I'll betcha a nickle I'm right on this one though.
mtcantor

Postby kevinep3 » May 2nd, 2010 @ 9:07am

so i know this is kinda late but i just finished watching season 4 and man was that ending just not what i was expecting, im curious how he's gonna cope with it but i think it willl mess him up a bit also dont wanna spoil anything but finding out you know who was you know whos you know what was also pretty suprising.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » May 2nd, 2010 @ 6:31pm

I'll miss John Lithgow as a serial killer.

Did anyone also read the books? In them he was teaching the kids how to be a killer like him. I know since the first season they've strayed from the books, but they've also kept some things in line from them, albeit out of place. It would be interesting if this plot from the book shows up. In the season he mentioned seeing the Dark Passenger in Cody.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Creep » Sep 28th, 2010 @ 1:54pm

Are you guys watching this show? If there's anyone I can relate to, it's Dexter.
Creep

Postby LiQuid » Sep 28th, 2010 @ 3:05pm

Creep wrote:Are you guys watching this show? If there's anyone I can relate to, it's Dexter.

Uhh, what?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Sep 28th, 2010 @ 5:17pm

Oh god the new season premier was SO embarrassing! I'll give it another ep to see if it moves in a direction I'm comfortable watching, but if there's even one more Rita flashback I'm through. Her dying was the only reason I didn't quit in the first place.
LiQuid

Postby James-Kond » Sep 29th, 2010 @ 2:53pm

Spoiler: show
Yo I'm Dexter and I have no emotion, but I'm so deep and now I'm going to flee out of town, but then return again for now reason, also I kill a dude because it ain't Dexter without some dude dying. Also I'm once again suspected by the police for killing some one, noes. Now let's get season 5 started.
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby LiQuid » Sep 29th, 2010 @ 3:21pm

James-Kond wrote:
Spoiler: show
Yo I'm Dexter and I have no emotion, but I'm so deep and now I'm going to flee out of town, but then return again for now reason, also I kill a dude because it ain't Dexter without some dude dying. Also I'm once again suspected by the police for killing some one, noes. Now let's get season 5 started.

God, it was so bad. I really hope that episode wasn't indicative of what is to come. So, fucking, bad.
LiQuid

Next
Forum Statistics