Sorry for the notable late publish this week — truth be told, I was kinda passive-aggressively putting this one off, because publishing it makes it real.

We say goodbye to founding host Karen Chu this week. The upshot is that she’s taken an exciting new job at Twitch, but it means that she needs to step down from the podcast to avoid potential conflicts of interest (much like previous hosts Justin Haywald and Greg Ford had to do in the past). It’s something I’ve known was coming for a while, and — to get all selfish for a moment — I’d be lying if I said I was anything less than super-bummed about it. In her 131 appearances, Karen has been a pretty big part of what’s held this show together for four years, as well as being one of the greatest collaborative partners I have ever had, and one of my best friends in the world.

I’m hoping we’ll still get her on the show from time to time, but this definitely marks (more than any other cast change in the show’s history) a new era for the Geekbox. We’ll be seeing some old and new faces in the coming weeks (and maybe a new regular host if we’re lucky), but no one and nothing is ever truly gonna replace Karen. Wish her well over on her Twitter account @momopeche (and you can still hear her every week on Good Job, Brain!). We’ll miss you, Karen!

Also: We have a new sponsor this week, Go Daddy. Go use the discount code “geekbox” (or use our custom link) and get your super-cheap web domain today!

geekbox211_inline

Discuss this podcast on our forums!

The Geekbox — Episode 211 (2013-03-13)
Wherein we discuss passive-aggression, how much we love Karen Chu, our awesome comic shop, Tomb Raider, SimCity, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, new Star Wars shows, Neverwinter (sort of), Defiance, Shroud of the Avatar, and When in Rome (NOT the Olsen twins movie). Starring Ryan Scott, Karen Chu, Adam Fitch, and Ryan Higgins.
Direct DownloadiTunesStitcherZune MarketplaceRSS

1. boon says:

I know I’m super late, but I just caught up and wanted to say Karen Chu is the best and I’m grateful for all the time she was on the podcast. I will miss her here.

2. Marc Forrester says:

Wait wait wait, you guys are shilling for the infamously pro-SOPA Go Daddy? That is… not a move likely to improve geek cred. Ew.

3. Rishard says:

I’m really sad to see Karen go. She balanced out the podcast in a great way. I think you need a female voice to even everything out. She brought so much to the table.

“people will never buy milk at the grocery store when they can get it delivered at home”…sounds to me like you simply suck hard at Starcraft.

5. Ryan Scott says:

Master, that is quite frankly a stunning dismissal of Twitch — regardless of what you personally think of their content model, they’ve already grown into a wildly successful company, and they’re essentially the go-to source for livestreaming every major competitive gaming event in existence. The statement that they aren’t going anywhere is both closed-minded and demonstrably incorrect.

Also, clearly you’ve never worked at any major media company that’s sensitive about appearances. Avoiding clear and present conflicts of interest is absolutely imperative for anyone who does client-based work. I really hate losing Karen too, but her decision was totally justified.

6. master says:

why is Karen leaving for that garbage twitch tv site?

Twitch Tv is just some stupid fad gimmick where pc elitists that play Starcraft 2 stream themselves playing.
    site sucks and it isn’t going anywhere special.

Karen should continue to do the podcast here and work at Twitch TV at the same time.
    They aren’t going to get mad at you or any controversy/drama from the podcast to your twitch tv job.

BTW I almost want to sub to hover using your code to screw over godaddy. almost. maybe I’ll sub to my fav twitch channel instead.

Greg, Karen, Fitch, Ryan and Higgins was the craziest combo to ever come out of the buyout fallout, and also the best. Sure we still have bizarro Fitchy, but this kind of ends an era. I won’t say you didn’t annoy me (often), but hopefully you’ll be somewhat visible on Twitch.

9. Josh says:

I’m sure Hover loves the godaddy advertisements when half of the ads for hover are, ‘we care for our customers better than big guys like godaddy’ :P

10. Eric A. says:

Really sad to read that Karen is leaving the Geekbox as she has been one of my favorite people to listen to since the old days of 1up on shows like Legendary Thread and the 1up Show. Now the Geekbox won’t be the same without you since I felt you kept more of an open mind to things compared to the two Ryans who at times seem a bit too crotchety. Well at least we can still hear you on Good Job Brain!

Thank you for all your work and you will be missed on the Geekbox. Good luck.

11. TN49 says:

Thank you for all your had work Karen and good luck! *Salute*