This week, we’re joined by mobile game developer and Geekbox listener Jonathan Powell, whose new iOS game — PaintScape — is a 2D sidescrolling shoot-’em-up with some impressive hand-drawn backgrounds. Check out the trailer embedded below, and give it a whirl! And don’t forget to check out Karen Chu’s new podcasting project, Good Job, Brain! — it’s already fully funded via Kickstarter, but you still have a few days to pitch in and get some cool incentive prizes!

The Geekbox — Episode 152 (2012-01-10)
Wherein we discuss PaintScape, boring U.S. states, supervolcanoes, Lord of the Rings plot holes, Dungeons & Dragons: 5th Edition, role-playing in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, disgusting potato chip flavors, fun-filled Spanish lessons, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, tall vs. short, the elements of style, dating protips, LinkedIn, and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Starring Ryan Scott, Karen Chu, Adam Fitch, Ryan Higgins, and Jonathan Powell.
Direct DownloadiTunesStitcherZune MarketplaceRSS

1. a2bcharter says:

EVERYBODY? WHOS?? READING? THIS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE? ,??? CHECK? OUT???? MY VIDEOS??? PLEASE?,? JUST?? ONE? CLICK, CAN CHANGE MY?? LIFE? AND?? SUBSCRIBE???? UR THE?? ONLY???? WAY I? CAN? KNOWN

2. Dave says:

Forget all the haters, Adam. Keep on truckin’.

On the topic of haters: my girlfriend almost went insane when you were talking about the eagles in Lord of the Rings. 😀 The canonical reason for why they didn’t send the eagles in, you guys basically hit on it, they couldn’t send the eagles in while Sauron was still in power because they’d get shot to shit in an instant by Nazguls or, I don’t know, laser beams or some crap.

3. Goodness says:

GUEST: So I grew up in Wyoming—

ADAM: Oh man I love Wyoming blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

GUEST: And then I moved to Portland—

ADAM: Oh man I know some shit about Portland blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Jesus Christ, Adam, let others talk.

4. Anonymous says:

There’s nowhere to hide, Yellowstone will find you…

If anyone can solve this problem, its Karen. She should give the volcano some OK Cupid advise.

I also like Mexicans.

6. René says:

We call limes limas and lemons limones.
    The fruit they describe varies from state to state because there’s a fuckload of types of citrus, but the terms don’t refer to the same fruit.

From a mexican fan.

7. Gui says:

Heh, ignore the knee-jerk reaction above. I know there was no malice, no offence intended.

8. Gui says:

Fuck.

In the past few months I started being really self-conscious about my height. I started feeling like I was at eye level with other guys’ chests in the subway, even if I’m supposedly near the middle of the bell curve.

Then I started checking out sites and reading about heightism and all that crap, comparing myself to others and feeling inadequate, seeing all those comments about girls refusing to date short guys (and being really hurtful about it).

I was finally over it, or starting to. But then Max Scoffield made fun of Bendis for being short 2 episodes, and now Karen is going on about short guys just not cutting it…

Thanks for making short guys feel terrible because of something they can’t change, Geekbox. As if they didn’t have to deal with enough shit already.