Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I’m publishing a bit early this week; hopefully it catches a few people before they embark on pre-holiday travel. Don’t stuff yourselves too much!

The Geekbox — Episode 93 (2010-11-24)
Wherein we discuss Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (spoiler warning!), Donkey Kong Country Returns, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, Xbox Live politics, The Walking Dead (spoiler warning #2!), Doctor Who, Netflix’s content-streaming strategy, the upcoming Buffy the Vampire Slayer film reboot, and weird Mario games. Starring Ryan Scott, Karen Chu, Ryan Higgins, and Alice Liang.

1. dug says:

2nding Bryan’s comment. I had to turn it off after a few minutes. The sniffing was one of the most annoying things I’ve heard in a long time.

2. sheppy says:

I really do have to say this… Sacred Cow Syndrome much guys?

No offense but ANYTIME anything REMOTELY looks like it could change, out comes the hate, and vitrol, and essentially the hilarious streaks of nerd rage that make me somehow feel a bit normal because I didn’t just spend 20 minutes ranting on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

You guys are right, of course. Nothing should ever change. Grant Morrison did NOTHING good to how we view Batman today. Caesar Romaro nailed Joker first time out and Heath Ledger did nothing but disgrace that timeless character with his presence. And of course turning the X-men from being teen idolized brady bunch rejects to a new team with Claremont at the helm was a horrible idea. I mean Mr. Sinister? Who needs a four year story arch of The Marauders or Dark Phoenix when we had The Vanisher?

BTVS was itself a reimagining of another IP. So what, fictional characters are off-limits in perpetuity? This is stupid.

Also, I bet Scott thinks Alyson Hannigan can act.

4. MrRed says:

I almost cried when you mentioned Gremlins 2 for the NES. Hard, but really great game.

5. mike says:

“Okay,that’s cool.”-Ryan Higgins

6. Yar! I feel vindicated after defending the good name of Super Mario Land. Glad you guys got a kick out of my rant. I had much fun writing it.

That went over a lot better than last time, where I made an angry anti-Lost rant in response to something that, as it turned out, was actually stated on an entirely different podcast. (The Weekly Geek, I think. How embarrassing!)

Anyhoo, love your show and all that jazz. I’ll be back to defend my favorite classic games. Although, feel free to rip on the Donkey Kong Country series. I am very much in the Jeremy Parish camp on that one.

7. Bryan says:

Jesus christ stop sniffling into the damn mic. If you’re sick, don’t do a podcast. So gross to constantly hear a *sniff* noise every 30 seconds.

I have a hard time believing that a bunch of snot-nosed xbox-livers are interested in enlightenment. That said, how about Israel start showing some respect to Palestinians?