This week, Supergiant Games creative director Greg Kasavin (who I suspect many of you will also remember as the longtime editor-in-chief of GameSpot) joins us to tell us about his upcoming game Bastion, and sound off on all the usual nerdy stuff. Enjoy!

The Geekbox — Episode 91 (2010-11-10)
Wherein we discuss Bastion, software incompatibility, Good Old Games, the journey from gaming press to game development, Metroid: Other M, anime influences in games, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, The Walking Dead, the pitfalls of serialized fiction (including Lost!), Red Dead Redemption, choice in games, Fable III, elevator pitches, and zombies. Starring Ryan Scott, Justin Haywald, Ryan Higgins, Alice Liang, and special guest Greg Kasavin.

1. stank says:

The guests did a great job on the show, not sure if this was their first time talking on a podcast but the discussion flowed nicely throughout the episode.

2. BevansDesign says:

I really wish you’d be more careful spoiling stuff. I know you guys have all read the Walking Dead books, but a lot of us haven’t, and are currently trying to enjoy the television version. And hearing about some major plot points, thrown out at random without any warning, isn’t cool.

3. Michael P. says:

I don’t comment.. at all about these, but this episode was fan-fucking-tastic! Awesome guest!

4. Michael Weir says:

That was a great episode! Greg was an awesome guest and it sounds like he knows his games and how to make a good one. As creative director of Bastion I think it will turn out to be a fun game. It’s on my radar now.

Higgins – I went to your website hoping to purchase a volume or two of The Walking Dead but no such luck. Do you have any way I can order from you online? I could get it from a local comic shop I’m sure but I’d rather support the geekbox community. 🙂

5. Gert says:

So at one point i hated Lost so much i wished some mercenaries would drop on the island and brutally murder everyone.

And to my suprise that allmost happened.
    Lost should’ve ended with the armed guys from the boat succeeding in killing everyone.

Yeah, Justin, I’m personally going to spoil the living shit out of everything just for you as a public service.

7. Marty says:

Thank you for spoiling the Walking Dead for me Justin. You continue to be a valuable contributor to this podcast.

8. bAss_ackwards says:

That guy, like, says like like, too many like, like, of like. Like.

9. Raf says:

Kasavin on the Geekbox? Sweet!

…and yes, people prefer strong female characters when they portray male traits.

Finally, a developer who can actually talk about topics besides the sales sheet.

And game writers talk a lot of yang about how they want deeper characterizations, but in the end they just want the same old “strong, silent” woman trope rehashed again and again. Oh, let’s just have every female protagonist in the Ripley mode. Lame.