Karen’s out again this week, since she’s all alone dog-sitting while her bum-ass husband (occasional Geekbox guest Patrick “Mr. Karen Chu” Joynt) is away. And, you know, she declined my invitation to turn it into the Puppybox. Enjoy!

The Geekbox — Episode 86 (2010-10-06)
Wherein we discuss fake Facebooks, more Minecraft, Limbo story analysis (spoilers!), Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Kirby’s Epic Yarn, bad art, the Nintendo 3DS, the stupid PSP, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, DC Universe Online delays, Zack Snyder’s Superman, Buried, spoiler policies, being Nathan Fillion, NBA Jam, buying and selling, geeks vs. nerds, free stuff from nice people, and Halloween costumes. Starring Ryan Scott, Justin Haywald, Ryan Higgins, and Alice Liang.

1. Jesse Bass says:

Update on the spoiler thing from last week. I don’t remember it so feel free to spoil any movie, game or book you want

2. X2 says:

You guys have the best show notes for the podcasts. Just letting you know it’s really appreciated. Makes it easy to skip to the stuff I’m interested in. Thanks.

I love how the games “journalist” community continues to be tentative about buying upcoming consoles, what is your job exactly?

They try to analyze the 3DS like they have any financial analysis skill yet ignore the past 4 years of hard data.

Stop trying.

4. BevansDesign says:

I agree that it’s annoying and/or pretentious when storytellers use the “it’s what you put into it”, “what do YOU think it means” angle. That sort of crap might’ve been acceptable back 100 years ago when, if you were lucky, you’d be able to buy one or two books each year and spend months or even years dwelling on them. But these days, there’s far too much media to consume for me to spend more than a toilet break trying to figure out what the author’s point was. If I can’t find satisfaction with a story within about an hour of completion, the storyteller wasn’t doing their job. Like most jobs, storytelling has changed in the past 100 years.

5. Kevin says:

The Alamo Drafthouse in Austin TX ran a contest to see Buried before release in a remote location in wooden coffins

6. Gunt Girdle says:

Hey! That PAX panel… did I miss it somehow or did it not come out yet?

That diagram is ok, but the “dork” section seems shoehorned in for the sake of convenience. I bet a dork drew it.

8. JFink says:

Hey guys, Day 1 listener, first time commenter here.

I remember that episode of Tales of the Crypt from when I was a kid. The reason why Joey Pants ended up buried alive was that he didn’t realize until it was too late that the process that gave him a cat’s nine lives killed the cat, using up one of the nine lives in the process.

9. Doggyman says:

LOTRO –

Play on Riddermark, it’s a new server and I’m there!

10. Forbin says:

RE: Geek vs Nerd here is the definitive diagram:

I’m not sure where games journalists who over-pronounce Japanese nouns fit in that diagram. But I’m leaning towards the dork intersection.

Here’s a fun game: listen to the Limbo discussion, except imagine it’s about “Lost”