Life currently exists between turns in Civilization V. Incidentally, Ramkhamhaeng is a dick. Enjoy the episode!

The Geekbox — Episode 85 (2010-09-29)
Wherein we discuss Reservoir Dogs-style openings, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, camera angles, budget price points, Deadly Premonition, Monkey Island creator Ron Gilbert’s new job, Final Fantasy XIV, Minecraft, Civilization V, accessibility in games, lots of TV shows, Venture Bros. non-talk, DC Comics’ new editor-in-chief, fan-made Walking Dead credits, and the Flash movie. Starring Ryan Scott, Justin Haywald, Ryan Higgins, and Alice Liang.

1. Anon says:

Tom Chick is one of those full of himself guys (just listen to his podcast on Qt3) in the vein of Mark Miller. If you had actually read his Civ5 review, you’d have seen how he’s also one of those people who resents how accessible Civ5 has become, taking away his tons of needless graphs and options from Civ4.

Yeah podcasts in general are not the place to be if you’re ever worried about spoilers. Scott will be a dbag and just star rattling off random spoilers – guess what assheads, there’s no statute of limitations on spoilers, that’s a phrase preserved for a real job.

3. Gunt Girdle says:

Justin: Well, originally we were talking about Civilization…

Ryan …So yeah, people complain so much about how much mounts cost in WoW!!

Me: *face palm*

4. Jesse Bass says:

Listened to you a while. First time commenting. Because 8 seconds in you ruined Reservoir Dogs for me. I know the spoiler tag is long since gone for the movie but still I find it annoying, so thanks, I hope I enjoy the rest of the podcast.

5. Paul says:

Hmm, the Walking Dead series looks like it could be good. I thought the comic had a great character driven story, and If the show is faithful to it it has promise.

I just watched the Pokemon Apocalypse trailer they mentioned. Hilarious!

6. Paul says:

I was glad to hear you guys talk about Minecraft. It’s kind of like Legos in how you can create all the structures you want. I’ve seen some live streams of people on multiplayer servers working together on huge building projects, but also building fun things like Connect Four or Battleship.

The survival mode is going to be great in multiplayer, with hordes of zombies, spiders, skeletons with bows riding on spiders …. Building traps and walls and fighting off waves of zombies is a pretty cool concept.

It’s also neat that people who buy this game now while it’s in alpha will get to see it grow as development continues. Alice, it runs in Java, so Mac or PC doesn’t matter.

Has any of you been watching “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”? Just curious.

7. Alice says:

Sorry for eating on mic! RYAN didn’t tell us we were being recorded yet. We were still in pre-show dinner mode. Sneaky.

8. Handy J says:

You just don’t know how much I love listening to moist sound saliva pre-digesting pizza right in my ear. Please-please stop eating on mic.

9. OrgunUK says:

Great episode. The only thing that made me cringe was the talk of IT Crowd’s laugh track…it’s not a laugh track. It’s recorded in front of a live audience. 🙂

Sorry that’s one of my Pet Peeves heh