We’re off to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle this weekend, so hopefully we’ll see a few of you there. We’ve get a few meet-ups and panels you might be interested in, including a joint Rebel FM/Geekbox panel about this whole crazy podcasting thing.  Check out our handy forum thread for all the time/location details.

The Geekbox — Episode 81 (2010-09-02)
Wherein we discuss cactus-related incidents, finally playing through Red Dead Redemption, the verdict on Metroid: Other M, more Dragon Quest IX, League of Legends, exploding game consoles, cell phone batteries, Xbox Live price hikes, the stupid Emmys, Lost: The New Man in Charge (spoiler warning!), The Office (and a favorite candidate for its new lead), Burn Notice’s season 4 finale (more spoilers!), half-empty glasses, Doctor Who, and Penny Arcade Expo activities. Starring Ryan Scott, Karen Chu, Ryan Higgins, Alice Liang, and Brock Sager.
Running Time: 1h 22m

1. Peter Lount says:

Alice Liang is the new Sarah Palin. Her comment about the price increase was about as shallow as Palin’s comment that poor people “should just get a job”.

Also, the comment that “everyone complaining about the price increase is 13 years old” left a bad taste. I’m 46 and find the insults towards listeners uncalled for.

If this is the direction of the podcast, I’ll probably stop listening to it as I did with the Gamespy Debriefings a while back.

“Weekend Confirmed” with Garnett Lee seems to maintain an intelligent level of discussion, too bad The Geekbox has lowered itself into the level of audio garbage.

2. Ian says:

I wanted to tell Karen that when I was young and living in Las Vegas I went on a tour of a chocolate factory called Ethel M’s and on the grounds there they have a cactus garden.

I saw a piece of a prickly pear lying on the ground and in a fit of silliness decided that I would pretend to steal it. I jammed the entire thing under my shirt before realizing that I had peppered my entire kid chest with tiny barbed needles which took hours upon hours to remove.

So don’t feel so bad.

3. Ben says:

Re: Alice’s comment that it is reasonable that the cost of Xbox Live would increase due to increased bandwidth costs, bandwidth has never become more expensive than it previously was at any time in history. Bandwidth is cheaper today than it was 5 years ago and will be even cheaper 5 years from now.
    The complaints concerning the price increase are justified.

4. Forbin says:

So the Brodeo was canceled because Robert Ashley and Shawn Elliot couldn’t make it? Jeff doesn’t name the two people who couldn’t make it, but it makes the most sense. Irrational doesn’t seem to want Shawn stepping anywhere near a mic unless they have editorial control, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he got told the panel wasn’t allowed.

5. Jin says:

couldn’t u guys have a big meet up at the 1up one?

6. Raymond T says:

I came to post exactly what WayneR and Feanor said. I’m not a Live subscriber, so don’t hold that against me. Both posters just hit the nail on the head.

7. WayneR says:

I should add that if Microsoft were to offer a $30 basic subscription separate from the $60 gold then I would have been happy.

Give users a choice. Just like cable and satellite providers offer different levels of service.

8. WayneR says:

Wow, I don’t think any of you understand what the controversy is over the Xbox Live price increase, and it seems typical for you to think that way considering all of your backgrounds with gaming.

I am not complaining that XBL gold has went up by $10 a year, and like Alice mentioned, the price has been the same since it’s inception, so given inflation a price increase is natural.

My complaint is that there is nothing I care about doing with the XBL gold service other than PLAYING GAMES ONLINE. I don’t care how many ESPNs, Twitters, Facebooks, and Netflixs Microsoft adds to the service. When Microsoft justifies a price increase with the notion that they have added more value to the service then they have to back up that claim. For me, they have added NO value to XBL gold so paying $10 more for nothing will make me complain. I was under the impression that $50 for a year for the ability to play online was overpriced in the first place, so anything they added was only justifying the ORIGINAL price. I still have to pay for the privilege to use Netflix and Hulu, and ESPN has its caveats as well (not to mention I don’t care about sports). What kind of value is that.

And yes, I do have an extra $10 a year. But I prefer not to give it to Microsoft for providing me with nothing useful.

9. Feanor says:

The discussion about the controversy over the increased cost of Xbox Live missed the point entirely. $10 is not a lot of money, but $60 a year for crappy P2P online multiplayer is a huge amount of money when it’s free on every other system, and for a lot of PC games you get to play on dedicated servers with much better performance at no actual cost to the vast majority of players.

You’d think Ryan Scott with his PC gaming background would have brought that up, but he was too busy making assumptions about what Sony is going to do in the future as some sort of justification for what Microsoft has been doing for almost a decade. Higgins was just being ignorant when he claimed the PS3 is now charging you for what used to be free. PSN+ charges for additional features; nothing that was free (e.g. online multiplayer) has been removed from the regular PlayStation Network.

I think it was Alice that claimed that it’s only natural in the games industry for the price of a service like this to increase over time, especially with the extra functionality that has been added over time. But the price of a WoW subscription is the same as it was at launch, and Blizzard have made and are making huge additions and improvements to that service, even for players who never bought the expansions. People always bring up NetFlix streaming as a big bonus of Xbox Live Gold membership, but that’s also free on the PC, the PS3 and even the Wii.

ESPN was constantly mentioned as some sort of huge value-add, but it’s the same ESPN3 service already available on the PC for free. I say “free” but just like on the PC, ESPN3 will only be available to 360 owners whose ISP have signed an agreement with ESPN. If your ISP is not on the list, you’re shit out of luck.

“ESPN on Xbox LIVE, providing great content from ESPN3.com and ESPN.com, is only available to Xbox LIVE Gold members. For access to ESPN3.com content, Gold members must receive their Internet connection from an affiliated broadband provider.”

I don’t think you understand what “voting with your wallet” means.

11. flipboitamidles says:

When Ryan H was talking about the Hurley bird, he referenced the second appearance of the Hurley bird, not the first. They first saw the Hurley bird in Season One Episode 24: Exodus Part 2 and that’s where Hurley said “Did that bird just say my name.”

Just saying. 🙂

12. Omega X says:

The arguments against “voting with your wallet” is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.

If you don’t like it, then you don’t pay for it. Someone asks you “Why”, then tell them and shrug if they don’t agree and move on. Its your choice.

No one needs to do it with you. There doesn’t need to be a mass exodus. A trickle over time does just as well. That’s the problem with society today, no one has an independant thought. IF you don’t want to pay for that, then you’re “Cheap” if you do then you’re “Rich”.

Give it a rest. Peer pressure will ruin you because 98% of the time its the WRONG thing to do.

If you complain and still pay, then its still your right to do so as a legal customer of the service. But you will eventually have to come to grips with the situation and make a choice. “Do you or don’t you pay?”