On this week’s episode, British listener Edward Cook travels all the way from the UK just to guest-star on the Geekbox. Well, not really, but he guest-stars anyway, and adds a touch of class to the place (if I do say so myself). Also, for anyone wondering about Inception spoilers: They’re not until the very end of the episode (as they were with last week’s), and we call them out beforehand, so — like Green Lantern — you should have no fear. Enjoy!

The Geekbox — Episode 76 (2010-07-28)
Wherein we discuss alien invaders, boring jobs, DeathSpank, Limbo, digital distribution ad nauseam, StarCraft II’s impending release, San Diego Comic-Con 2010, the Avengers movie, the Burn Notice movie, the Suicide Squad videogame, Street Fighter x Tekken, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, the Avengers’ new comic book line-up, Jeph Loeb’s screwed-up career, Scott Pilgrim: Book 6, upcoming Smallville cameos, Geoff Johns’ Green Lantern comic book run, British TV, island midi-chlorians, and more Inception (spoiler warning!). Starring Ryan Scott, Karen Chu, Edward Cook, Andrew Fitch, and Ryan Higgins.

1. Iceveiled says:

Also, I paid $60 for splinter cell conviction and beat it in ONE FUCKING DAY. And no, it wasn’t like…I got up at 8 am and beat it at midnight. I beat it in around 6 hours.

NOT OKAY.

(awesome game though)

2. Iceveiled says:

I love all you guys. Sometimes I want to somehow reach through the internet and bitch-slap Ryan Higgins, but I feel that way about most humans.

Also Ryan, I love my boxes too. I like buying CD’s and DVD’s and games and seeing them all lined up on my shelves.

3. Drew says:

Karen is a bitch. She talks down to everyone like she is perfect. I hate it when she is on the podcast.

4. BreakingAtoms says:

The Higgins part was great. It had me cracking up.

5. Adam says:

Can’t imagine I’ll keep listening to any episode in the future where Karen isn’t present. I like Ryan a lot, but he’s a little too meek to ever point out when Fitch or Higgins say something truly stupid. And the two of them are a couple of world-class mongs, so stupid things will be said. Karen calls them on their crap and is a pretty necessary part of the show.

As far as $15 for four hours goes, that’s about sixteen hours for $60 and most single player games these days come in at a few hours less than that. As such $15 for four hours is a pretty decent investment.

6. Guillermo says:

Wow the comments section on this humble little podcast really brings out the asshole in everyone.

7. Sarah says:

Higgins may be a world-class tard, but Scott will always be the spokesperson for idiot nation as long as he calls the finale of Lost ‘near-perfection’.

8. David says:

Ryan Higgins is a ****ing ignorant idiot. I don’t know how you guys can stand having a conversation with him. Good lord.

That is all.

9. Jeff says:

Good job as always, guys (and gal)!

10. Dawson says:

Yo Higgins, I’ve got some limited edition subprime CDOs you might be interested in :)

11. Nash says:

Most of these comments are fucking retarded, that’s all I have to say.

12. PDP says:

I’m glad that Karen C called it, Ryan Higgins is afraid of digital delivery cutting him and other retailers out of the picture. (And to be honest he should be.) There is a growing push for a switch to digital content. The 360 quietly upgrading the standard hard drives spaces. iPod/iPad, Netflix, Steam. Tivo, Hulu, DVR. If I was a retailer I’d be scared too.

Take a headcount of the number of retailers/products we’ve seen close over the last few years. (Circuit City, EGM …Just to name two)

Think about whom else is on the verge of collapse. (Blockbuster?) Higgins is just trying to get in front of the wave. Personally, I love the switch to digital, takes up a lot less space. Not to difficult to store. You can take it with you almost anywhere and in as vast a quantity as you could want. I hate to see so many retailers go out of business, because it would hurt our economy to much. But at this point, I don’t see how it can be avoided?

13. Pertelotte says:

I’m alright with listening to Ryan Higgins’ horrible opinion on what makes a game (it isn’t the packaging) but what makes it hard to listen to is his whiny voice.
    Also, this is my first listen. I listened to The Brodeo back when, you’re still great, Ryan Scott, even more so that you put up with Higgins. I was still entertained. Keep it up guys. Haters gonna hate. You’re cool too, Higgins, just quit being so dumb.

14. Frank says:

This podcast is not good. Why does it continue to exist? Who likes this stuff and why? I will admit, I haven’t listened to the latest episode, but that’s only because I know I will turn it off out of annoyance just like the last few (many) episodes. Ryan S. and Fitch are alright but man that Higgins is like a cheese grater on my inner ear area. STOP talking! When K-chew is on it’s like a rusty cheese grater on my spinal membrane. Sorry, but I think it’s time to put this one down.

15. lucas says:

Ryan Higgins is one of the most ignorant people I have ever heard in my entire life. He ruins this fucking podcast.

16. WayneR says:

I don’t know if y’all were doing this for comedic effect, but you spent way too much time humoring Higgins’ irrational opinions and choice of how and when to spend money on a game.

It was clear that his way of thinking is not common and there was a good 15-20 minutes spent trying to get him on the other side. Whatever the case may be, people are entitled to waste their money how they please.

Also, Ryan Scott, your movie analogy to Limbo isn’t flawless either. Sure the people that complain about a $15 game, but would go see a 2 hour movie for about the same price are hypocritical. However, there are people like me who do not pay full price for any movie and op to go to a $5 matinee no matter how interested I am in the movie. I do the same thing with my video games. Value proposition is very important to me.

17. Sarah says:

This podcast should be renamed The Tardbox.

18. Will says:

I think if Ryan Higgins were an game reviewer he’d be the Armond White of games criticism. The budget, hype or lack of hype, who’s hyping it, current events, nostalgia, pop culture, packaging, branding, and many other NOT IMPORTANT things drastically effect his perception of a product, all while saying it doesn’t effect his perception. Plus, I get that “contrarian for the sake of being contrary” vibe all the time. Clearly their tastes vastly differ (armond hated inception, Ryan loved it) but the way they decide seems to be very similar to me. Random comment I know, but after listening to Armond on /filmcast Ryan H sounds like a 20 years younger version.

PS: if you buy games bases solely on the amount of time they will suck out of your pathetic lives I feel sorry for you. 15 bucks was fine for limbo, it was a great game, just like 15.50 bucks to see Inception in Imax, or 200 bucks for 2 seats/parking and beers for a concert last last week. All totally worth it events, FOR ME! (all just a few hours)

FIFTEEN FUCKING DOLLARS should not have much weight in the review. Yeah bring it up, say its only a 4 hour game with some minor replay and done. IT IS UP TO THE READER TO MAKE THE PRICE DECISION. Ryan doesn’t know how much money you have, or what your perception of value is. All he has is HIS perception of value and HIS opinions on the game. You all do get that, right? That we are reading enthusiast press about one mans OPINION, not some factual record!?!?!?

This poster below me (sfd) is fucking raging it looks like. Dude you gotta realize Ryan isn’t some robot that eats cheese and craps out game reviews that following some form of rigid trigonometry. Just some nerd that plays games, he played it, he liked it, it’s just a game review. I really don’t get why you are calling him a fucking repugnant hypocritical piece of turd because he liked Limbo and thought 15 was a fair price? Then to say he is boasting about his reviews scores? wha? I think that is really stretching it. You sir need to get a grip, its a $15 downoadable game that he liked, so he said he liked it.

/epic post

19. […] Links ? web | mp3 | iTunes | Zune | rss […]

Sure Ryan Scott, game scores don’t matter, unless of course we’re supposed to be impressed that you’ve only given out a handful of “5/5″ scores. Seriously, game writers are failures at basic logical reasoning.

“15 is fine for a game like this” – Seriously Ryan Scott, you and everyone else who brings this argument are such fucking repugnant hypocritical pieces of turds.

Seriously Scott and Karen Chew, GFY about the value proposition. I don’t know why game “writers” think they’re immune to pricing.

23. Gah! says:

Cool, I’ll go back and listen to last weeks, too.

For me, Limbo was cheap at $15. I haven’t had a chance to replay it since the day after it came out, but it has really stuck with me.

24. Guillermo says:

I think if they made a Human Centipede game it would be more like Snake. You remember Snake? You eat dots and you grow longer but you have try not to bite your tail? I think Human Centipede: The Game would be something like that.

25. Chris says:

Limbo is too short for $15.

Comparing it to movies is dumb because part of the value of movies is the huge screen and speakers and stuff. (plus you can actually go to the cinema for like $5 on weekdays so it’s supply and demand for seats)

Why pay $15 for a 2 hour game when I can buy amazing games like bioshock used for that price?