Karen Chu and the here-all-month-except-when-he-isn’t Greg Ford take the week off to celebrate the 4th of July — while the rest of us buckle down and discuss nerdy things, like shanking people, and the tragic temporary loss of Wonder Woman’s time-honored stripper getup.

The Geekbox — Episode 73 (2010-07-07)
Wherein we discuss MMO betas, the big Steam sale, Team Fortress 2 (again), Deathsmiles, Eve Online, Red Dead Redemption contest winners, Clue, Burn Notice, the apparent confusion surrounding Wonder Woman’s recent costume change, and omnipotent superheroes. Starring Ryan Scott, Andrew Fitch, and Ryan Higgins.

The only way new listeners will find out people are eating on the podcast is by looking at the blog and read about sensitivos constantly bitching about.

2. If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little

3. Mason says:

I had lost faith in the geekbox actually talking about geek related items. most episodes had devolved into a self loathing bath of pop culture media and semi dating advise. Ive been pleasantly surprised in the last two episodes that RPGs, Video games, and comics have come up, and been thoroughly talked about. The show is the Geekbox once again, and not Popculturebox. you actually had a meaningful conversation on the affects of the digital market would have over comics.

Please please Ryan more of this type of show. more comic talk, more video game, more table top RPGs. No more Fitch hitch because its like hes dating someone in protective custody. No matter how hard you try your left with more questions then when you started, the first few times it was funny now its just plane aggravating.

movies are cool and TV is fine but please delve into the true geek medium. not the bull shit hip geek that is shoved down our throats already.

thanks

4. Eeep says:

>>> This “eating on the podcast” is a non-problem. Move on.

Here’s the deal: For many people, it *is* a non problem. They aren’t bothered by it or they don’t notice it – and that’s cool.

Other people are bothered by it but listen to the podcast anyways because they enjoy the content (I probably fall into this camp).

But the group you need to worry about are the people who are bothered by it and have stopped listening or never gave the podcast a real shot because of it.

So… if the Geekbox’s attitude is “we make this podcast to have fun – whoever doesn’t like what we do can go listen to something else” then by all means, continue eating and drinking. I actually can respect that. But realize you are limiting your audience and possibly driving away some people.

5. Chris says:

You guys should watch Fringe. That show is awsome.

6. Ryan Scott says:

No, Karen is not leaving the show. Sheesh. :P

In fact, we just recorded an episode. With Karen. Who talked about WoW. Yay!

7. Ron says:

Karen’s leaving the show folks. Good job – you have finally run her off.

8. Jennifer says:

I’ve never commented here or on the forums, but mostly because I didn’t know blog commenting was an option. I’m not just a Geekbox fan (all 73 episodes!) but I go back to Legendary Thread/Brodeo days, back when Ryan never said a word. It makes me sad that Ryan Scott and Karen don’t play WoW any more, because I loved their discussions – but let’s face it, there’s just nothing fun about WoW right now anyway, outside the Beta.

Don’t complain about the podcast – it’s free ice cream! As a wise man once said, if you don’t like this particular brand of free ice cream, there are plenty of others out there, and some of them at any given moment are moaning loudly that no one pays attention to them.

Love you guys. Keep it up.

9. CloudyVagXplosion says:

As and aside. More fucking DR. WHO. I started watching it, and even made my wife get into it and now she’s batshit for seasons of the last doctor. Lost is over for you people, give me fucking Dr. Who digest. The damn season has been over forever already. hit me with some fucking commentary. go BitTorrent it if you haven’t stop being bitches.

Please?

League of Legends is also fun. Anyone gearing up for the Season 1 arena?

Fuck. you. and. your. spammy. filters.

10. CloudyVagXplosion says:

forums are so 2000. this is the tweet age Forfuckssake, nobody wants to dig into a thread just to say something that’s on their mind.
    also i so so rarely notice people eating, i don’t know what kinda shit you’re plugged into but you need to turn down the sensitivity. for the most part at least they’re not breathing/popping/gasping for more hot air.. into the mic like so many “professional” podcasts. i swear to god if sasha segan ever spoke to me in person i’d rip his tongue out so he wouldn’t fucking lisp in my ears anymore.
    half the time, i’m laughing my ass off so hard i don’t give a fuck what’s going on because it works for me.
    When Rydog starts hating i’m in nerd-fucking-heaven. I don’t need to sign up for a god damned forum to enjoy this shit. fuck what everyone else has to say about the show, i’m not listening to THEIR podcast.

Most of the podcasts Scott is involved with have absolutely no problem treating their listeners like absolute garbage, so trolling comments are fair-play in my book.

This “eating on the podcast” is a non-problem. Move on.

13. Eeep says:

Ryan often bemoans not being in the top 25 gaming podcasts anymore. Here’s what you can do to fix this:

Step 1: Stop eating on the podcast
    Step 2: Stop eating on the podcast
    Step 3: For the love of all that’s holy, stop eating on the podcast

I really enjoy the show (even listened to every minute of the low audio quality E3 one), but the eating/drinking/swallowing on#73 had me screaming into my mp3 player. Urgh. :/

I realize you guys are just sitting around having fun, but if you are serious about getting your subscriber numbers up, this is a total no-brainer.

14. Forbin says:

The reason why the forums and the comments are so different.

Scroll down to the section on Religious Veneration or ctrl-f “Tolkein”

Basically, the people willing to post regularly in a forum are not necessarily your “core listeners”, but they are the most likely to revere you. And while posting on the comments does make it easier for people to troll you, I think the reason you get more negative feedback has to do with the ease of use. It’s hardly anonymous you have our e-mail address.

I’m glad you do take the time to read these comments, and though you have to put some sort of a filter on it’s content, don’t get too comfortable surrounded by the Yes Men on the forums. Praise and criticism should be met with the same amount of skepticism on the internet.

Good show this week.

15. tGill says:

You can easily solo in EVE.

Clearly EVE does something right consistently growing in subscriptions since launch.

Whereas shitty games like STO consistently loose players.

16. Dawson says:

Personally, I’m a lot like Ryan Scott when it comes to the forum. I just don’t have the time or patience to figure that sh*t out ;)

I believe speed/ease caters to a certain type of commenter here on the blog. One that’s less attached than the average forum contributor. I’ve listened since the very first show but I wouldn’t consider myself a hardcore supporter because of my choice to only listen and only comment when I’m polarized.

I’ve been using forums forever. Invariably, a cadre of regulars, most of whom are douchebags, create a defacto “in-group”, and the only task for newcomers is to be constantly ignored, ridiculed or promoted to douchebag status. There is a complete double standard as to the quality of forum topics visited by users that is almost completely inversely proportional to the Holy post-count. Fuck forums.

18. Guillermo says:

Can someone please tell us where to find that Burn Notice gif?

19. Kajaah117 says:

I find the lack of Karen disturbing…