Thanks to everyone who said hello and/or partied with us at PAX East. Enjoy this week’s show!

The Geekbox — Episode 59 (2010-03-30)
Wherein we discuss the most poorly planned burglary of 2010, water-walking, Dunkin’ Donuts, horrific culinary experiments, PAX East 2010, DeathSmiles, nerd-on-nerd violence, navel-gazing, crazy Indiana Jones stuff, wife aggro, Chatroulette, Green Lantern: Blackest Night, the Scott Pilgrim trailer, and Lost 6×09. Starring Ryan Scott, Karen Chu, Andrew Fitch, Ryan Higgins, and Brock Sager.

1. For whatever reason, your post makes me think, “Trust in Allah but tie your camel..”.

2. EvilGenius says:

Imagine if Jacob dunked Richard in the ocean 42 times?

3. Feanor says:

“Greg and Daemon seemed like cool guys”

I wasn’t at PAX East, I just listened to the IGN panel as a podcast, but those guys seemed like total douchebags. I feel sorry for Anthony and Ryan having to work with them.

4. LiK says:

HAHAHA this ep was great. Ryan, this is LikChan from twitter. Remember me from PAX East? I tweeted you about the 24 hour Dunkin’ Donuts link. Great to meet you in person. Now I understand why you wanted donuts. I understand what Higgins said about wanting to eat Dunkin Donuts. Sometimes you want to eat the local foods even if it’s from a chain.

5. Jason says:

Still listening to the episode. I’m from Oklahoma and Cracker Barrel has a significant presence here. It’s awesome…it’ll kill you, but it’s awesome.

6. Jensemann says:

Guys
    I really enjoyed your argument about how much background a games critic should have about making games. And I have to agree with Ryan on this completely.(Man/Woman, I never thought I would type that.) Because what is going on in those people, I am an engineer if I develop a crapy product, people will call me on it. Nobody cares if I did some really clever things in the process, my stuff sucks. And I also agree with Karen that a critic in general, not just video game critics, have a different role. Critics should criticise the performance of the piece. In my opinion criticism should be able to make it’s argument on the piece alone. I don’t want my games criticised within a milieu it was developed or based on the biography of it’s creator.
    I hope that at some point we will see some reviews that is closer to a rhetorical analysis than an historical interpretation. I want to know what the game does not what it means. I can take care of that when I play it.
    Man/Woman,(yeah, I know it is getting silly:) but I am glad that I have that out of my system.
    So and now I can finish the show. Good work as usual.

7. […] | web | mp3 | iTunes | Zune | rss […]

8. karen says:

YES, TING!

IT’S SANTORUM!!!!!

9. OmniAvenger says:

I lost it with “less fecal matter, more semen.”

And Higgins, a single donut from Tim Hortons trumps the donuts from Dunkin’ Donuts. (I think the coffee is about the same.)

10. Lee Benningfield says:

Great, now I’m going to think of that every time I eat a fluffernutter.

So true about PAX East feeling cramped, especially the expo hall. It’s too bad such a huge amount of space had to be dedicated to lines (Queue Room, woohoo!). I hope they move it to the Boston Convention Center next year.

Also: I too was not familiar with Gamescoop before going to the IGN/Gamespy panel, but I picked up on the inside jokes pretty quick, and Greg and Daemon seemed like cool guys. The best part was when that girl asked Ryan if he ever got excited about anything, and the response was basically “no”.

I would have liked to gone to the meet-up afterwards, but I was too busy waiting in line for and then going to the Saturday night concert, which was totally worth it.

11. Ting says:

Karen, how can you forget Santorum?

Things inevitably go astray when someone named “Butch” gets involved.