Rebel FM frenemy Anthony Gallegos joins us for this week’s episode. Enjoy — and if you haven’t already, check out our ongoing Xbox 360 achievement contest, which runs through the rest of March, courtesy of Geekbox forum regulars Mr_eX and LiQuid.

The Geekbox — Episode 56 (2010-03-09)
Wherein we discuss live recordings, official Geekbox achievement contest updates, SyFy original movies, Lost 6×06, Burn Notice 3×16, Final Fantasy XIII, RPG naming conventions, griefing on role-playing servers, Resident Evil, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (AKA “Welcome to 2007″), and cranky old podcasters. Starring Ryan Scott, Andrew Fitch, Anthony Gallegos, and Ryan Higgins.

1. Arrogance says:

Hey folks, thanks for the show. I don’t watch Lost so more than half of the show was unaffecting, but the rest was chock full of meaningful morsels. In particular, I want to thank Ryan for introducing me to Squall’s Dead. It made for great lunchtime reading today. If you guys haven’t read the “Let’s Play” from Something Awful for Final Fantasy VIII (http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/FF8/), give it a look. It’s nowhere near as intelligent, but it is a whole lot of fun.

On renaming RPG characters, like many of you, it was something I did when I was much younger. It usually didn’t play well, so I let go of the habit. I still chuckle when I see that someone’s renamed a character cleverly, like making FF8′s Zell Dincht something more appropriate like Dbag Dincht or HotDogsAreAMetaphor Dincht.

There are other games like Etrian Odyssey where it’s not about the story, so it doesn’t matter what you name the characters. Still, I try to give something that would play well in the proceedings. Take Etrian Odyssey 2: You’d want a female dark hunter, brandishing her metal whip and clad in her domineering leather suit, to have a strong, sexy name (I would go with Valeria). Then again, if you’re into subverting, you might want to name her something decidedly unattractive, like Muffintop, or Foopa.

2. iceveiled says:

Very entertaining episiode, thanks. I agree that a live podcast at the Cataclysm launch would be great!

And now my input on Final Fantasy. I have been playing them since the original on the NES and VII is NOT my favorite one, but I do have fond memories of playing it. I recently tried to go through it again and the graphics are utter dog shit. I do, however, think the materia system is still cool and the overall world and plot in VII was pretty good, but I think VIII is a much better game. IX was a nice return to the more stylized high fantasy roots of FF. Since then….meh. Too much Sci Fi for me. I haven’t been able to make it through a single one since then except for…..wait fo rit….FF X2…don’t even ask me how.

It was probably the tits.

I did pick up XIII and so far it’s boring as shit and repetitive, but I’m only 4 hours in so I could have a better opinion of it in a few days. Or not. I’m not holding my breath that it’ll be amazing, but I’m also not ready to dismiss a franchise of games that I’ve been enjoying for 2 decades.

I really do wish they would ditch the sci-fi shit they’ve been doing for the last 10 years and make a TRUE fantasy game, with actual world exploration and male characters that don’t look like bi-sexual emo cosplayers.

hey why should Fitch have all the fun, 99% of the tards on gaming message boards have never even seen the games they rage out about.

4. monkeystick says:

Fitch should start a new podcast where he only watches the last fifteen minutes of a movie and then reviews it.

5. Paul says:

I think a live recording at the WOW: Cataclysm launch could possibly be entertaining, although it might be simpler to do a few interviews and include them in the podcast rather than set up the whole thing on location. Ryan or Fitch mentioned watching the Angry Video Game Nerd on Justin.tv. If they are familiar with justin.tv as a platform/delivery system, it could be used for live broadcast, either on their account or on a new account for the geekbox. This might be an addition to the show for people to feel more involved, and people could ask questions as the show progresses!

I download The Geekbox to listen whenever I have the chance, so I wouldn’t want the show to change from being a podcast, but I would definitely be interested in seeing the show move in new directions in to be more interactive.

6. EvilGenius says:

You should have a ‘Lynch Fitch’ segment next week. In it you read the various hate mails that he must have got this week.

7. Feanor says:

A lot of talk about FFXIII, but nothing about Fitch’s Team Xbox review getting taken down or when his revised review will show up. Hmm.

Good show, though.

8. jermm says:

*move right to Uncharted 2

9. jermm says:

I agree that Ratchet and Clank is amazing, and skip Uncharted 1 and move right to Uncharted.

This is just like 1UP – when some idiot on the boards gets a shoutout on the podcast – they turn into an insufferable douchebag on said boards.