Get ready for a ton of Lost season 6 talk — I’ve included an upfront spoiler warning so you know when to skip ahead if you haven’t seen the season premiere yet, so don’t say I didn’t warn you!

The Geekbox — Episode 52 (2010-02-09)
Wherein we discuss the Puppy Bowl, Lost 6×01 (including an awesome listener e-mail), Burn Notice 3×12, Smallville: Absolute Justice, Star Trek Online, our growing excitement for BioShock 2, bawwwwwwwwwwing about spoilers, Ace Attorney Investigations impressions, and Vegas vacation tips. Starring Ryan Scott, Karen Chu, Andrew Fitch, and Ryan Higgins.

1. i love to watch NCIS, the story is great and i love the special effects too “-“

2. actually i watch NCIS more often than CSI, NCIS offers more drama and have great characters compared to CSI-.,

3. light switches should be made from oxygen free copper so that they last longer;,:

4. Zoe Murphy says:

i think NCIS is much better than CSI because they solve much harder cases.,-“

5. I just thought that NCIS is a copy cat of CSI.~~’

6. Tom says:

Man, I love Fitch but he’s been super unlikable the last few episodes. If it wasn’t for his love of SF sports teams I don’t think I could take all the Debbie Downer negativity.

7. Brendan says:

You know I’ve never read the comments on the website before but now that I have, I know to never do it again. If so many of you have all these problems with the podcast, here’s an idea, STOP listening to it. Crazy I know.

8. Ben Reilly says:

Great show! One thing though…

I do not like this new Tuesday schedule.

I really enjoy listening to your Lost theories, but now I’m hearing them over a week late. When you upload late Tuesday I usually don’t get to listen until Wednesday and by then a newer episode has aired and your theories become outdated. I end up skipping the show because I’m now wanting to hear theories on the current episode, not the week prior. Maybe a Thursday or Friday show?

Just some friendly advice.

9. Will says:

Listened since ep #1 and feel I finally have to comment. Really been going downhill for a while now guys. I really want to love this show. I am a big geek myself, love games, TV, and Movies. Sadly for me some of your best sounding discussions, about comics, go over my head. My suggestion is prep for the show a bit more, the lost discussion was dull. Take 15 minutes before recording to recap the last episode for everyone. Maybe visit a lost forum for good discussion points. If you want to talk about SNL, christ take 5 minute, bring up Hulu and show everyone the skit.

As a side note, I started up watching SNL this season because of Hulu and positive buzz. I think its been pretty funny, and lately there have been many skits directly referencing geek culture. Avatar, Burn Notice, many gaming skits, if you gave it a shot you might find something to discuss on the podcast, rather than just having a butt hurt reaction to hearing about someone making fun of burn notice. Burn Notice is great, but the skit was funny too cause its true, its critically acclaimed yet ask anybody and they have no idea what it is, honestly with out you guys I would have no clue what it is.

Lately the discussions have also been inconsistent. Like Ryan H and the hypocritical Avatar discussion. He is totally entitled to his opinion (heck I agree on many points), but it was so hypocritical to listen to when just 6 months prior he was saying the polar opposite Transformers 2. Defended Transformers 1 & 2 to the bone for being mindless and how it was OK, then on Avatar he goes the opposite. Hypocrisy isn’t fun to listen to (see Sarah Palin).

Controversy, negativity, extremism and ect are not what makes a great podcast. Having well informed and well argued discussion makes a great podcast.

I am kinda ranting here, but really it just comes back to preparation. I really want this show to be great, you guys seem to care too. Granted all my ranting is moot, because the fact is you are doing this for free. So thank you for that, this is just a little constructive criticism.

-Will
    Washington, DC

10. Oded says:

Please stop eating while recording the show, we can hear it and it’s a bit disgusting and distracting…

11. jim says:

Please get rid of Fitch, i don’t get why he’s on the show. It doesn’t seem he watches most of the shows that are talked about or plays most of the games that are talked about. He’s negative about everything and not open to anything new.

12. lawl says:

holy shit, is karen diabetic or something?

PUT DOWN THE FORK KAREN CHEW

13. Frank says:

This show is still very painful to listen to all around. I thought it might get better with the new season of Lost. BUT! My god, the Lost talk is just sad…limp…UNINTERESTING. (might not be Geekbox’s fault there..Lost is kinda sucking so far.) Also, why in the poopsicle are you talking about last weeks episode the day after this weeks episode?.. I love Ryan S. on other podcasts, but man it just hurts to listen to him struggle to host this show. I can’t blame him. Everyone on this show is soo damn annoying. I really don’t understand how people enjoy this nonsense.

14. Sam I am says:

They just showed Chloe playing natal on the latest Smallville episode.

15. […] | web | mp3 | iTunes | Zune | rss […]

16. Boomerz says:

Karen you rock! I love your rants! 😀

NCIS is a pretty good show. They show reruns all the time on USA network usually throughout the day, so it is kinda hard to miss unless you are actively avoiding it. NCIS: Los Angeles is pretty awesome as well. I mean how can you not like Chris O’Donnel? Unless you are talking about Robin then yes go ahead and hate on him.

Thanks for the great show and go play Bioshock. You are doing yourself a disservice by not playing!

David B you’ve got to be kidding me. You need to wipe the banana off of your face.

18. David B, says:

Hearing Fitch’s pathetic attempts to rationalize his disinterest in unique games like Bioshock, Portal, and poignant milestones of literature and art is almost unbearable. As a gamer who has only played the demo of Bioshock and watched others play Portal, I can respect the importance of these games, regardless of my hand’s-on time with these titles. Fitch’s comments aren an unfortunate reminder that some gamers revel in sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

19. Salarian says:

Please kick both Karen and Fitch off the show they add so very little to The Geekbox. Karen spouts the dumbest Lost interpretations I have ever heard. Fitch on the other hand needs to stop being such a fucking otaku.

I’ve figured out why all the backwoods hillbillies were so irked by Patrick. When someone makes a rational or reasoned claim about something, it’s easy to refute it with your own opinion or at least cry about it, or yell loud enough about it, regardless of the quality of the opposing opinion. This is kind of the way America is going in general. When someone lays out a reasoning for their opinion, America is so ANTI-intellectual that in some people it simply triggers rage like a tard alarm light switch. Basically America prefers someone who’s outwardly a mental midget like Palin for example, than someone who they artificially attribute as “elitist” or “arrogant”.

21. WayneR says:

I am glad you guys openly admit how confused you are by Lost. I enjoyed the first 2 seasons, but upon the third season I realized I was no longer enjoying the show for the plot and intrigue, but because it had good characters. There was just too much scifi going on for a show I thought was about people on a stranded island. Now that season 6 has started, and there are now OTHER others, and another timeline, I have lost all interest. The show has lost me (both puns intended).

I would like to hear you discuss whether you like the show because it’s like a confusing, but interesting, puzzle, or because you genuinely enjoy watching it.

Chu, don’t worry, there is nothing wrong with not changing your name. I personally feel that a married woman changing her name is an outdated tradition that has no real significance. If 2 people love each other then the last thing they should be concerned with is name changes. Also, with the divorce rate at nearly 50% there are obviously commitment troubles in this country. Why go through the hassle?

22. Feanor says:

“The guy who looks over the dead bodies is a british guy named Ducky and talks about the most irrelevant things while dissecting the bodies.”

He was also Illya Kuyakin on The Man from UNCLE.

“Second, LOST is dumb. Admittedly, I enjoyed the first two seasons and most of the third, before I realized what lost really was: a cobbled together show that was being written on the fly, which made no sense and opened more doors than it closed.”

You have no idea what you’re talking about. None.

23. isaac says:

I like pets as judgmental as I am. So obviously I like cats.

24. Iceveiled says:

I mean…for fucks sake dogs and humans have been companions for centuries. It’s practically hardwired in human DNA to want to be around canines.

25. Iceveiled says:

First of all, anybody who doesn’t like dogs is emotionally fucked up in some sort of way. I’m just saying….

Second, LOST is dumb. Admittedly, I enjoyed the first two seasons and most of the third, before I realized what lost really was: a cobbled together show that was being written on the fly, which made no sense and opened more doors than it closed. I don’t have time for that kind of nonsense.

Third, thanks to this podcast for turning me on to Burn Notice. I just watched the first season over the last few days and I’m hooked.

26. Steven says:

God I think I might fly to Cali just to beat Fitch to a pulp and tie you all down and force you to watch NCIS.

God at first I was okay with you guys not knowing and joking but now it’s just pissing me off. I mean not knowing is okay and stuff but joking about it and using it in unnecessary ways is just being dickish. Gernaeral NCIS overview, Funny goth chick that does tech stuff, team of 4 with the boss, the screwball who loves movies , the kickass chick, and the nerd who seems to be totally lost at times. The guy who looks over the dead bodies is a british guy named Ducky and talks about the most irrelevant things while dissecting the bodies. There is NO court room bits. NCIS is all about the mystery, action, etc. Now that I spoiled all of CSI CSI:NY, CSI,Miami, and NCIS LA maybe fitch will suck up and turn off his TV for good.

Karen I agree, Fitch is being a little Bitch.

Now that I geeked out and the possible Ryan reading this on the show I will calm down and say that you guys really know how to get people to react. I had to actually alt tab out of World of Warcraft and pause the show just to type this out and get it out of my system. Good day to you all. And Karen, You rock.

27. Feanor says:

I loved Karen’s reason for not changing her name after getting married. My wife and I both kept our last names when we got married in 2003 for pretty much the same reason – too much of a hassle. I had considered taking her last name since I was very, very unattached to my father and the last name I inherited from him. But the thought of having to go to the Social Security Office again only a couple of months after getting my SS card, and then having to get a new New Zealand passport while living in America ended any enthusiasm I had for that idea.

Btw, NCIS isn’t a bad show. It’s not po-faced and wankery like CSI, and the main characters are endearing. You could watch worse things before Lost on Tuesday nights.

28. Mr Drifter says:

Damn it Fitch…

Are you TRYING to be unlikeable? I don’t get you!

What kind of Grinch doesn’t enjoy the company of puppies!?

I’m with Fitchy, you couldn’t hit the internet without all the fangirls twilighting about how the cake is a lie and all that junk. Screw portal, no need for me to see it.

30. Max says:

FFS! 7 mins in you start talking about lost then you say skip ahead 10 mins, 35 mins later YOU ARE STILL TALKING ABOUT IT!

Come on guys, just make a new show The Geekbox: Lost

31. Frank says:

Just pointing out to Ryan Scott that the name Tess Mercer probably comes from mixing Miss Tessmacher from the Superman movies and Mercy from the Superman cartoon, both Lex Luthor’s sidekicks.

32. Nelson says:

The podcast was great, as usual and I am grateful to you guys for getting together each week to do it. It’s always cool to sit down with you guys, at least virtually, and discuss various subjects and topics.

I find it hilarious that we all share this love of “Lost” and appreciate it as a good quality show and yet all of you are as frustrated as I am with the complexity of the show and the fact that a new episode, although generally excellent, also provides a ton of NEW questions, NEW frustrations, and NEW headaches.

We complain about the mysteries and questions unleashed in each new episode but at the same time I have to wonder if the show would be anywhere near as good if it wasn’t this complicated and brainy?

I can’t recall a show that I have enjoyed as much as “Lost”. There have been shows with good storylines and good writing and good action, but none of those shows has made me think and question as much as “Lost” has. In this age of “American Idol” and “Survivor” I think a show with great writing and great acting that actually makes people think about life and reality and consider their actions and the consequences of those actions is something that should be appreciated. After all, very soon there won’t be a “Lost” to complain about anymore 🙁

33. monkeytoe says:

Why do supposed grown-ups say they “beat” games? Grown-ups finish things. You don’t beat a tv series or a book or a movie or a crossword puzzle. You finish it. Claiming to beat an inanimate object is kind of douchey and stupid.

34. asd sad says:

ncis pulls insane numbers, like better than the csi shows…