This episode brings an end to The Geekbox’s first full year (our first episode debuted on January 17, 2009). Enjoy this week’s episode (don’t forget to Digg, and review us on iTunes), and thanks for making our first year so successful! Yay!

The Geekbox — Episode 48 (2010-01-14)
Wherein we discuss Torchwood, Tom Green’s sheer idiocy, Demon’s Souls, the Goonies, Bayonetta, Star Trek Online, the A-Team (including the first official Geekbox fanfic production), Avatar(d), Lost vs. Obama, Spider-Man 4’s sudden downward spiral, and near-birthdays. Starring Ryan Scott, Karen Chu, Andrew Fitch, and Ryan Higgins.

1. Astrella says:

I’m going to have to disagree with Higgins’ feeling that Avatar was throwing things at the screen just because it is 3D. Avatar had the most subtle use of 3D I’ve ever seen. And they didn’t even use the gimmicky “stuff flying in your face” often… maybe a tree branch or a bug every now and again just to remind you that you are viewing it in 3D. It definitely wasn’t overused.

Apparently avatar fans are like Trekkies and Republicans – they’re really good at annihilating their own credibility.

3. Mishima says:

Avatar was great, i read a article that some people that dont like 3d probably have some kind of eye sight problem.
    For people that really like comic book stories, anime,etc, sure have double standard. Come on, please, like star wars was much better. Please, wake up of your deep denial. LOL

4. Kholdstare says:

Bayonetta is spiders.

5. mattr says:

Why all the Tom Green hate? I dont understand why getting a break to advance your career is “selling out”. Hes also created his own television studio in his home, http://www.tomgreen.com , and frequently has “celebrity” guests. Currently hes on a world comedy tour. Embrace the idiocy of Tom Green! BTW hes a rad dude, ive appeared on his show several times as a Skype caller (to ask questions to celebs etc.) I also hated F.G.F. when i first saw it, it was just ahead of its time for its stupidity. Its a funny f’ing movie.

keep up the podcasts!

-matt

6. MrDrifter says:

I think Fitch was beat up by and big blue bully in a loin cloth when he was younger… it would explain this deep dark resentment he has for Avatar.

Besides that…

Great season gang!

Let’s see more Patrick visits in season 2 🙂

7. Falsecrack808 says:

Sorry Ryan but this is the best A-Team trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyfhzqhJNbg&feature=related

lol at avathards

9. NickyC says:

Avatar…the movie that’s cool to hate.
    I hate Last Samurai because it was Dances with Wolves.
    I hate Dances with Wolves, because it was Pocahontas.
    I hate Star Trek because of Trekkies who take the universe too seriously.
    I hate Star Wars 1 because the big black evil sorcerer was pure evil.
    I hated Aliens because of Paul Reiser’s Character. Actually, Ribisi’s character was such a blatant rip off of Reiser’s, but Cameron made both so I kind of let it go.

I like making analogies 😀

Also, I find it hilarious when white people complain about being reminded that they were dicks to other races in the past, and still pretty bad nowadays. Sad that no one gave a crap about Haiti’s impoverished until they were all dying. Out of site, out of mind, eh?

I hope we all get Karen’s take on Avatar next week.

10. Trofym the Barbarian says:

I feel that writing this complaint is like celestial navigation. Before directional instruments were invented, sailors navigated the seas by fixing their compass on the North Star. However, if Ryan were to trick them into fixing their compass on the wrong star they’d soon be so off-course that they’d actually be willing to help him silence any criticism of the brainwashing and double standards that he has increasingly been practicing.

Ryan loves generating drama and conflict. That’s why he repeatedly insists that there is something intellectually provocative in the tired rehashing of witless stereotypes. It’s also why he believes in turning traitors loose against us good citizens. His cause is not glorious. It is not wonderful. It is not good. He does not like Avatar.

Some people have compared insipid analphabetics to the worst classes of morbid, maladroit upstarts I’ve ever seen. I would like to take the comparison one step further: I draw strength and courage from knowing that most people comprehend the crusade to stop Ryan and are supportive of my role in it. But there is a further-reaching implication: He slaps his message of cold-blooded, puerile exclusionism on everything that stands still—newspapers, magazines, billboards, movies, op-eds, and grant proposals about disliking Avatar. The mere mention of that fact guarantees that this letter will never get published in any mass-circulation periodical that Ryan has any control over. But that’s inconsequential because Ryan hates it when you say that his half-measures are not modeled on democracy as envisaged by philosophers of the Enlightenment, but on the anti-democratic principles of clericalism. He really hates it when you say that. Try saying it to him sometime if you have a thick skin and don’t mind having him shriek insults at you about liking Avatar. Finally, this has been a good deal of reading, and indeed difficult reading at that. Still, I hope you walk away from it with the new knowledge that due to circumstances that I have encountered in my research, I find that I must ensure that the values for which we have labored and for which many of us have fought and sacrificed will continue in ascendancy. In other words, fuck Ryan Higgins.

11. Steven says:

^.^ Ryan Higgins and Fitch are both entitled to their wrong opinions about Avatar.

I don’t usually comment but this was an interesting show. The end of Season 1 of the Geekbox.

The A-Team trailer left me a little unhappy. I mean B.A. saying stuff like Homey is gonna drive me nuts. We need Mr. T. “I pity the fool.”

Avahards? I am guessing those are the people that got really immersed into the world. What I see there is interesting as what they were mainly saying is they loved the world James Cameron created for his movie and wished they could live in it. Psychologically that is a little unstable but it is interesting as that is the top level of immersion. This is what I feel games should be trying for. To get someone so into the game they just don’t want to stop playing.

On another note I am glad to hear that Obama agrees that Lost is more important than himself.

Now on a final note I have to say Thank you to Ryan Scott who answered my email on living in the San Fran. Metropolitan area. Your info has helped my convince my parents I’m not crazy and that I’m actually serious about this move in a year or two.

12. Lucas says:

Fitch needs to go die. The fact that no one calls him out on saying “im not going to watch it because the women aren’t attractive” is inane. Because, obviously, women only have merit as objects of sexual desire.

13. Jeff says:

you are officially wrong to enjoy transformers 2 more than avatar.

14. Avatardy says:

That Mr Belding pedophile discussion reminded me of that episode of Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia that’s basically about the same thing.

15. monkeytoe says:

Yes, Scottish is a different language from English.

16. Derek Greenwood says:

I have a request for the next podcast.

More English/Writing tips. Pwease.

17. […] | web | mp3 | iTunes | Zune | rss […]

18. Jim says:

Why is Andrew Fitch on this show? He seems to hate everything, and every time he talks about how hot women are or anything along those lines i feel creeped out.

19. EvilGenius says:

Check the O.R., you like it so far?
    Check the O.R., you like it so far?
    Check the O.R., you like it so far?
    Check the O.R., you love the O.R.

LOL I didn’t know Avathards listened to the geekbox.

21. Anonymoose says:

Ryan Higgins has terrible taste? WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT.

22. Ira Matt says:

when you were on about star war galaxies about Mark Hamill, even though he is a great voice actor he has NEVER voiced Luke Skywalker

23. Max says:

So you like Episode 2 but you don’t like Avatar? What?