Jade Kraus and Justin Haywald join us this week, filling in for Karen Chu and Mike Cruz. The holidays are upon us, and we’re all scrambling to get our acts in gear so we can kick back and play some games over the end-of-year break. Hopefully we won’t be playing any Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, though. Yeesh.

The Geekbox — Episode 43 (2009-12-10)
Wherein we discuss Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, the insane Bayonetta demo, Assassin’s Creed II frustration, unobtanium (Avatar: The Movie: The Game spoilers!), insane Duke Nukem Forever developer quotes, pre-order incentives, DC: Earth One, the latest episode of Venture Bros., and the man who beat World of Warcraft. Starring Ryan Scott, Andrew Fitch, Justin Haywald, Ryan Higgins, and Jade Kraus.

1. […] I’m not the only person who’s dealt with this, for what its worth.  I’m going to give it another try but unless it really gives me something special its on to Dragon Quest V. […]

2. Louie says:

I got the normally dressed Cybil the first time I played.Also, there were close to no sexual references in my play through, it sounds like that stuff changes based on the psychological profiling, And Jade just didn’t like the character that came out of her profiling.

3. Joe Szymkowicz says:

Venture Brothers is only thing decent on Cartoon Network. [+]

4. Pepperen says:

No offense but Jade shouldn’t be on this podcast anymore. Her voice is pretty annoying and she creates an overall negative vibe. And I agree with sdf thats she needs to calm the hell down

5. Arrested Developer says:

The gamer in me was so disappointed when Ryan talked about AC2. For someone who was bragging about how easy ship levels were in Super Mario Bros. 3 he sure gave up quick on a simple race mission. Here’s the secret, hold the right trigger down and press A when you want to jump.

Jade needs to calm the hell down.

7. Hobo Johns says:

I feel sad for Jade. It seems she thought she was getting a remake of Silent Hill instead of a reimagining. There is a huge difference. Climax even compared it to the new Battlestar Galactica series in that way. Similar characters, but new story. The game is really more an adventure/thriller than a survival horror, but I appreciate them doing something completly different rather than trying to follow the awful Silent Hill: Homecoming. The story is very well crafted and DOES tie into the series and the first game, just in an unexpected and completely original way. Like some of the others below, I got the professional Cybil my first playthru, not the slutty version, and I was really impressed on my second and third playthru with how much of the story and characters do change as your psych profile changes. The story overall may conclude in a similar way, but each playthru offers new perspectives on the characters and plot. I’m impressed that Climax had the balls to do something different, and applaud their efforts, even if the chase sequences leave something to be desired. As a massive SH fan, I was quite impressed, and pleasantly surprised. This is my favorite SH game since 2.

8. Doctor N says:

This is my first episode and wow the Assassin’s Creed 2 part was frustrating. Do some of you just not pay attention at all when you play games? It was extremely clear why you were fighting those guys in the streets in the beginning of the game. There was also a tutorial that explained the controls in the beginning and you had no need to consult the manual. If you failed that race 5 times in a row then you really have no place reviewing video games. What a disgrace.

9. potatoes says:

So the premise of a film is now considered spoilers? I hope you haven’t watched the trailers then. Obviously the entire experience is ruined now!

SPOILERS

Bruce Wayne, billionaire orphan, spends his nights in his home Gotham City fighting crime as the Batman – striking fear into the hearts of would-be criminals.

10. indigo0086 says:

It isn’t an outlandish sci-fi term.

Yeah – for these people a game is old news long before it even hits ebgames, so spoilers mean nothing to them.

12. […] | web | mp3 | iTunes | Zune | rss […]

13. Mauricio says:

DUDE! JUSTIN! SPOILER ALERT PLEASE!

i’m sorry, im usually not a stickler for spoilers but blurting out the plot to “thee” James Cameron’s Avatar was a craptacular thing to do with so much as the standard “Spoiler Alert” warning. Luckily i bolted across my desk and turned down the volume before i heard anything.

Thanks for the podcast Ryan! Its good to hear Justin on the geekbox since you rock on Retronauts.

😀

14. Mark says:

I am a huge Silent Hill fan, and the biggest triumph and failing with the new game is that it doesn’t feel like a Silent Hill game. I can see how it would be dividing with hardcore SH fans.

Either way, I thought I would post… but I had the normally dressed Cybil the first time that I played through SH:SM. You don’t automatically get the salacious version.

can’t wait to listen to this Geekbox – the whites-only edition.

16. Dave says:

I’m probably only about halfway through the new Silent Hill game, but I’m really liking it. I seem to share Jade’s opinions on all the games except Origins (which I thought was just as bad as Homecoming). I mean, isn’t it funny that Shattered Memories feels like the least fan-fictiony bullshit game when it’s supposedly a remake? I’ll give it credit at least for that. I’ve had some minor frustrations here and there, backing out of your phone is a little painful, but I’ve haven’t needed a map all that badly during any of the runny parts, and being a little more cautious with where I go during them (hiding, checking doors for sounds to see where the monsters are) has served me well. Admittedly, I do just sort of run through them randomly, but at worst I’ve died once in each part, and sometimes not at all. I gotta reserve final judgement ’til I beat it, I am renowned for praising games one day and shitting on them the next, but so far this is the only Silent Hill game I’ve even remotely enjoyed since 3.

Also, I got the non-sexy cop the first time, so I don’t know what the issue you guys are having. I don’t focus on pretty much anything. The only thing that Harry really reacted to was the graffiti in the boy’s bathroom, because it took awhile to read it. My ADHD pays off! Does she act differently when she’s all sexed up, or is it just a stupid costume change? Cybil was very mean to me. 🙁

And on the topic of Bayonetta, anyone who even has a remote interest in action games should play it. It’s basically as close to perfect as we’re ever gonna get. I imported it and it just blew me away. If you’ve at all enjoyed Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden I can’t imagine you not falling in love with Bayonetta. The combo system is friggin’ intense, and totally rewarding, and putting you in slow motion after an evade just blows the doors off. Now there’s finally a use for all those window-dressing charge moves that you’d never bother with in other games! Plus her arsenal consists of laser/fire claws (yes they’re both), nunchucks, and ROCKET TONFAS! Need I say more?

17. W0lfbl1tzers says:

Hells Yeah! I want some more Roadie Brock though.