Here’s this week’s podcast — enjoy! Swear to god I’m going to eat my hat if I’m ever this late again. All my hats. And I own quite a few hats. Don’t forget to Digg!

The Geekbox — Episode 13 (2009-04-25)
Wherein we discuss the recent BioShock 2 preview event, the Gabrielle Anwar review scale, Master Higgins’ long-overdue viewing of Firefly, Family Guy vs. The Simpsons, the new G.I. Joe Resolute animated shorts, Fitch’s disturbingly thorough knowledge of Dragonball, Lost 5×13 (starting at roughly the 50-minute mark), the joys and fears of turning 30, and Lode Runner on XBLA. Starring Ryan Scott, Karen Chu, Andrew Fitch, Greg Ford, and Ryan Higgins.

1. Whiskeyjack says:

I have to say that I didn’t really enjoy this episode. Karen’s hands-off look at Bioshock 2 seemed to have not involved things that all sorts of others reporting on Bioshock 2 around the same time have involved. The Sea of Dreams subtitle fiasco was also sorted out weeks ago. As mentioned in an early comment the creative team behind the sequel includes a number of prominent members of the 2K Boston team, though of course no Ken Levine.

Similar problems listening to the talk on GI Joe Resolute with people trying to explain the episode while not being very well informed themselves. The Geekbox may not be the media or have the inside skinny on all these things, but the show has the word ‘Geek’ right in the title. I expect a certain depth of knowledge on all things nerdy.

Perhaps these gaps have always been there but they felt rather pronounced in this episode. Or maybe you’re solely experts on Lost now. 🙂 I’m certainly not giving up on the podcast, but this was one episode where I did find myself wanting to say “no, you’re wrong” quite a bit.

2. Wai says:

What does a fine fedora taste like?

3. Sean says:

I rarely post or comment here, but I’ve got to stand up for Fitch. I think he’s hilarious, I love that he’s always willing to offer his take, even if it is contrary and his dry sense of humor always hits home with me.
    Also, as a 25 year old back on the market after a long absense, I think the FitchHitch updates are great. Good to know I’m not the only one turning to online dating. But god almighty, is okcupid composed entirely of hipster girls? The Hipster alert never stops.

4. karen says:

@Boomerz

Because I’m a fob.

5. Boomerz says:

I love the show but why does Karen always talk as if it she’s asking a question?

6. MOT says:

Hey, I don’t know whether or not I am the only one getting this problem, but after a while of listening to the Geekbox. I get this loud beedback. It can’t be my mp3 player because all the others work well. Can you please look at your recording equipment and see if there is a connection error on the B side or something?

Thanks.

7. Haakon says:

Your damn wrong about the Simpsons, this season has been one of the best in a looooong time. They realy picked thier shit up for the HD version!

8. Paul says:

Okay, I can handle comic talk even though I don’t read them anymore (outside the occasional “must” reads like Walking Dead), but the conversation about Dragon Ball was just plain stupid. I love manga and anime, but the actual discussion got old real fast. Don’t turn this into Rebel FM. Keep it interesting.

Hey Lucas, I think you want the Couterstrike-Monster Truck Rally-Dawson’s Creek podcast or someshit.

10. Jin says:

HAHAHAHAAH go karen!! caling you OUT. seriously whats on with the age thing. if your not what you wanted to be when your 30 should you go do something about it then?

and lol goku should defo be asian, the hair? the peace signs?

and my weekly hater segment…
    please kick fitch off, you guys would have an FREAKING AMAZING podcast if he wasn’t there, all you guys are is a freaking AMAZING podcast, with only caps on amazing. ryan scott n karen chu does that to a podcast.

master higgins is secretly pretty funny too btw, and greg is pretty irie.

11. Chris says:

Snake-Eyes is dumb – as in he can’t talk – because of a helicopter explosion. And you call yourself geeks. 😛

12. Lucas says:

And by shit I mean anime and women. Please.

13. Lucas says:

Fitch, please stop talking about shit.

About ethnicity, no fucking anime character is asian. IF they were, they would have skin colour and actual facial structure. Ethnicity does not exist in manga.

Thanks guys – can’t wait to listen.

15. […] ? [web] [mp3] [iTunes] [Zune] […]

16. Alex says:

Can you please embed the Geekbox artwork in the mp3 metadata? It just looks much nicer on my iPod and makes life easy when browsing all my podcasts in iTunes.

17. Patriots74 says:

Family Guy wins hands down. The Simpsons used to funny, but that was many, maaaany years ago and really even at peak it stil wasn’t as good.

By the way I am baffled on why I listen to this show. Most of you are obsessed with Lost which is a show with a crappy convoluted story that makes no sense yet you rag on Heroes which does it too but is still more cohesive overall.

You worship DC comics which by far have some of worst characters ever created compared to Marvel, not mention DC stuff os painfully boring in almost every design aspect.

Weird.

18. Gerard C says:

Fitch arguing that Goku should not look asian because he’s an alien is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard.

Of course Goku should be asian!

19. Nazz says:

Just wanted to point out that 2K Australia worked on Bioshock 1 and 2K Marin was formed for Bioshock 2 from members of 2K Boston.

20. […] together by The Economist ” intelligence unit “….. read more | digg story Full The Geekbox: Episode 13 – geekbox.net 04/25/2009 Here’s this week’s podcast — enjoy! Swear to god I’m going to eat […]