Finally — the long-awaited second episode of The Geekbox! This one’s a bit shorter, though still filled with entertaining, haphazard conversation. It’s also the first episode to have an iTunes presence from the get-go, so please — in addition to Digging — subscribe and review the podcast on iTunes if you’re a fan, so it’s visible to more prospective listeners (episode 1 had close to 32,000 downloads — hopefully I can beat that!). The Geekbox is currently #1 in iTunes’ Video Games podcast category, but it won’t stay there without your help.  And of course, I welcome comments and feedback in this post’s comments section, via e-mail, or via Twitter. Enjoy!

UPDATE: Almost forgot — if you’d like to see some photos from our recording session, Karen Chu’s posted a few on her blog. And if you’re in the mood for other fine audio/video productions from talented ex-1UP folks, I encourage you to check out Rebel FM, Co-Op, and A Life Well Wasted.

The Geekbox — Episode 2 (2009-01-28)
Wherein we discuss the mean streets of Silicon Valley, the latest developments on Burn Notice and Lost (spoiler warnings!), the PC version of Mirror’s Edge, why nobody should care about Final Fantasy XI, why the Academy Awards are a bunch of nonsense, the pros and cons of comic scribe Grant Morrison, and the aftermath of Andrew Fitch’s hot date.  Starring Ryan Scott, Karen Chu, Andrew Fitch, Greg Ford, and Ryan Higgins.

1. Steve says:

Any chance you could get the Amazon widget to support Amazon international sites, if I try to buy anything from it now, hopping to the UK site loses the referrer 🙁

2. Joe says:

Great show, glad your doing it weekly instead of bi-weekly like i thought. The 1up exodus wasnt good, but it did create alot of good podcast.

3. emulizer says:

Just so you guys know the reason Daniel was able to talk to Desmond was because he was his constant.

4. BlazeH says:

I don’t mind the length, but the ending felt kind of abrupt. It was sort of “okay here’s music bye” and that’s it.

5. daeyeth says:

This is my new favorite podcast. You guys bring a level of a chill and relaxed conversation not seen since the GFW days. I really really like it how you guys aren’t all super serious. I don’t care if you guys aren’t talking about the latest and greatest in video games or whatever, I enjoy listening to a bunch of geeks just talk casually about what interests you, from comics to tv to games, and that’s freakin awesome.

6. Ryan Scott says:

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Davin: Comics Conspiracy is THE spot for now! You can find all relevant contact information on my “Contact Us” page (including a mailing address), linked from the right-hand sidebar.

And, everyone’s comments about volume levels are noted. I’ve been made aware of a few things that should help going forward. Please bear with me — much like Indiana Jones, I am making this up as I go. 🙂

7. james says:

the guy who doesnt like superheros would like the walking dead

8. Iceveiled says:

My comment made no sense but basically I repeated what others have said about the volume.

9. Iceveiled says:

Other than having my hand on the volume knob of my speakers the entire time because everybody was hard to hear everyone except for somebody who was obnoxiously loud (Fitch?). it was enjoyable. Iron out those kinks.

10. Jacopo says:

Delicious podcast, really.
    But please, please, please work a little bit on the volumes.

11. Davin says:

So, Ryan, is the Comic Conspiracy the designated spot for the podcast? Also, if you’d like to receive gifts/snacks/etc., should we send them there?

12. Alex R. Cronk-Young says:

The Ryans and Karen are so quiet and then Fitch and Ford are blaring. My volume knob got a good work out. Otherwise great show!

13. Jailem says:

You wondered how Ben got to Oxford so fast, well now you know.

14. Ren says:

I never listened to Sports Anomaly because I am not that into sports games. After hearing from Andrew Fitch I am now glad that I didn’t.
    He approaches the pretentiousness of IGN’s Mike Thompsen. If every game and activity is below him, why should we care what he has to say about any of them?

Other than that, good work guys. Your levels could use some work, but I am sure you will get the hang of it.

15. Matt R says:

@Nazzul

Hell yeah a song of ice and fire are great books. A show is also being developed on HBO a season per book.

16. Kosamus says:

Is this a videogame podcast? Well anyway – the VOlumE LEVEls NeEd BaLAnciNG WORK!

17. Anthony Gornicki says:

Congrats on episode 2, dugg!

18. William says:

great job guys, really enjoying the show so far… needs more volume and a good bit of balancing though.

19. Jordan ModernDevil says:

I dugg it! cuz i diggzzzzzzzzz it.

If I digg it will Fitch get better dates, Masta Higgins?

20. Pepto says:

Could you use higher bitrate or just a mono track.

21. Tydas says:

Love it although the vocals still need some balancing, I’m not sure who but one person is much louder than everyone else.

22. Greg says:

Karen is totally right, Vernor’s is awesome. Unfortunately, it can be hard to find outside of the tri-state area. Here in Michigan, we keeps what we makes. If you find yourself in need of gingery refreshment, I might be able to sneak some out to the west coast for you.

23. James says:

This episode intensifies my non-sexual crush on Ryan Scott by a factor of 14.

24. Ryan Taylor says:

Downloading now. Excited for another great show! Keep up the good work, my friend.

25. Fructose says:

Another great episode, guys! Ryan, you need to help Rebel Fm get their audio down. Their’s is not nearly as good yours.

26. osifracrat says:

Hey Ryan,

Is there a higher res album artwork available for the podcast? itunes is not adding it. Great podcast everyone!

27. Nazzul says:

Wait, so she wants him to read song of ice and fire? Sounds like a keeper to me. For shame on not reading those books, fortunatly im nice enough to link the first one so you can buy it right now and obtain some of your integrity as a geek back.

Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1) (Paperback)

28. Matt R says:

Verners is made in Detroit Michigan, gotta love that Detroit River water. It is good stuff though, also faygo soda makes good stuff also from Detroit, check em out.

29. Gazimoff says:

Just scooped it off iTunes ready to listen to during the commute to work tomorrow. Looking forward to it – cheers Ryan!

30. Matt R says:

Awesome, much better balancing on the vocals this episode keep up the great work.
    Lost tonight!

31. MartyG says:

Great – downloading now – keep up the good work guys.

32. RBCP says:

Shorter is good. Not too many people have time to listen to shows over an hour. I’m listening now, sounds great!

33. Andy says:

I support Ryan Scott! Downloading now. By the way, Karen posted pictures of the comic book store on her blog for anybody interested.